cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMBU GMT or BST

N/A

VMBU GMT or BST

As most people know the time stamp on this forum is GMT but are the VMBU running in GMT or BST? I started a large download at midnight (23:00 GMT) and the bandwidth was shown as peak usage the day before and not as free usage for today. Is there a statement that I've missed abot the VMBU times?
13 REPLIES
Nocturne
Grafter

VMBU GMT or BST

I'm getting Off Peak Usage recorded as Paid For Usage and I suspect a number of others are also.

I've raised a ticket some time ago which I update every time it happens which is just about every time I download after midnight.

PN acknowledge they have a problem which they are obviously trying to resolve but its all part of a bigger problem of incorrect recording of usage.

Its a big headache for customers and something PN are no doubt extremely embarrassed about.

Be nice to think it was just down to GMT/Summertime but to be fair PN can't be that bad.
N/A

VMBU GMT or BST

The forum timecode is all down to the timezone you have set up in your profile. It's a well known 'thing' of phpBB code.

As for the VMBU time problem, i'm actually checking the management time 'kick-in' today. I'm currently on management level 3 which means at peak time i should have ZERO p2p and a running speed of 512kb/s.

Its now 4:15pm and im downloading from bittorrent at 150.0kB/s (NON-encrypted)...... if at 5:00 my speed dramatically drops then i think we'll have some sort of answer to be honest. Checking the vmbu when i stop could also give similar answers.

EDIT:- Time was 4.50 So its either 50 mins late or 10 mins early. Shortly after it dropped out, i disconected and havnt done much, so i'll have to check VMBU later....
Fixes: 133

VMBU GMT or BST

I am on Level 2 Restrictions starting today.

At around 4:20pm this afternoon my speed was registering around the 3.5Mbps speed.

When I tested at 5:07pm my speed was around 1Mbps. Coincidence?

By the way, does anyone know whether the upload speeds get restricted when on level 1, 2 or 3 management? It doesn't seem to state anything about that on the TM page yet my upload speed has reduced from 371Kbps to 119Kbps.

Cheers

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

VMBU GMT or BST

Hi,

As mourby notes the forum timezone is set manually by each person on the forum, you can change to BST yourself via the profile link at the top of the page.

Regarding the PAYG usage, by how much are we talking that it records incorrectly? Remember that VMBU can be up to 2 hours behind so if you check it at midnight the usage may only be up to 10pm so the paid usage will have gone up the next morning.

Also as the usage is recorded via the RADIUS accounting data from BT (the CBC data) it is processed in batches rather than real time so it is possible for a small amount of data (a few minutes worth) to be included in the wrong batch, in the long run this will balance out.

So for example if at 10pm VMBU shows 100MB for that day and you browse the web for 2 hours and then start a 100MB download at exactly midnight it's possible that when you look at VMBU in the morning it could show 150MB for the previous day and 90MB for the free amount.

Is this the sort of thing you see or am I misunderstanding?

Regarding the level 3 management, it is possible that the effects of the management don't kick in at exactly 4pm. The reason is that the rules that process on the backend systems to change you on to level 3 are processed at 4pm and take several minutes to process, 50 minutes sounds longer than it should take so I'll take a look into it, but that's essentially reason why it doesn't kick in immediately at 4pm.

VMBU GMT or BST

The reason is that the rules that process on the backend systems to change you on to level 3 are processed at 4pm and take several minutes to process, 50 minutes sounds longer than it should take so I'll take a look into it, but that's essentially reason why it doesn't kick in immediately at 4pm.

But when I was on Traffic Management previously it could take up to three hours or more before the restrictions were lifted.

I never did receive a satisfactory answer to this issue. I was constantly fobbed off with 'Reboot modem' instructions. I should not have had to do this!

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

N/A

VMBU GMT or BST

No. Computer was not used for several hours (at least 4hours) until 10 minutes before midnight. Checked the VMBU before watching on line a a BBC program whiched lasted 40 minutes. Next morning checked the VMBU saw off peak usage was 49MB, which I thought was a bit low for 40 minutes video then noticed that peak had increased by approximately 60MB. Also I'm not the only one that's querying this.

That probably sounds about right, or at least within what I would expect. As I say the usage is processed in batches (they normally come in from BT every 30 minutes) so it is possible that the first 15 minutes or so of the midnight hour are counted in the previous hour (which would sound about right based on the figures). The VMBU data isn't accurate to the minute so small amounts of usage for a few minutes can get recorded in the previous hour.
N/A

VMBU GMT or BST

Aww Dave, call me James Tongue

As for the VMBU, it does now say just about what i would expect it to say as from 4pm-turn off. So I can't really complain there.

I have noticed in the past that there does seem to be a varying discrepency in the old -> new vmbu, sometimes up to a Gb or so but as Dave said, it does generally level out in the end. (Apart from the times when the new one says I've used less than the old in which case I'm keeping my mouth shut) Cool I mean.. i've already made them start looking into enforcing the management time sooner. Doh

Wink
Nocturne
Grafter

VMBU GMT or BST

Is this the sort of thing you see or am I misunderstanding?
I believe the problem I am having is shared by others.

In my case there have been a number of occasions including last night when approx 79 Mb of usage between midnight and 8am appear to have been included in my Paid for Usage.

Over three recent evenings I estimate the error as being in the region of 838 Mb.

I use RPTG and am confident the downloads commenced typically at least 5 to 10 minutes after midnight.

The downloads in question ended before 4 am and I checked VMBU at typically 10am.
The usage shown on VMBU has not changed since.

This is being pursued by CS but I assume you are aware of the basic problem.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

VMBU GMT or BST

But when I was on Traffic Management previously it could take up to three hours or more before the restrictions were lifted.

When was this? Since the new management rolled out from the April billing dates it has changed and does it a lot quicker now, additionally we've made back end changes as well to make the process better since then.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

VMBU GMT or BST

In my case there have been a number of occasions including last night when approx 79 Mb of usage between midnight and 8am appear to have been included in my Paid for Usage.

At what speed would you say you were downloading? 79MB of usage would probably represent about 5 minutes or so at 2Mbps speeds and less than 2 minutes on the highest Max speeds. Because the data isn't accurate to the minute it is possible for it to be wrong by 10-15 minutes simply because of batch processing nature.
csogilvie
Grafter

VMBU GMT or BST

At what speed would you say you were downloading? 79MB of usage would probably represent about 5 minutes or so at 2Mbps speeds and less than 2 minutes on the highest Max speeds. Because the data isn't accurate to the minute it is possible for it to be wrong by 10-15 minutes simply because of batch processing nature.

Does this affect the billing process too then, as this could mean someone ends up having to pay £1.25 even though the usage was in the free period...

VMBU GMT or BST

When was this? Since the new management rolled out from the April billing dates it has changed and does it a lot quicker now, additionally we've made back end changes as well to make the process better since then.

This was within the last few days of April and first 2 or three days of May.

It will be interesting to see what time after midnight my speed reverts back to Upto 8Mbps tomorrow morning.

Can you please confirm what happens to upload speeds during Levels 1, 2 and 3 of Traffic Management?

Nocturne
Grafter

VMBU GMT or BST

The downloads last night began at 8 mins past midnight.

Max downspeed was about 2 Mb by 00:18 hrs but much slower initially due I think to remote server.

No significant downloads / activity after approx 00:39.

Powered down 01:18.

Total throughput up and down from midnight to 8 am this morning 121.5 Mb.
PN shows 46.6 Mb.
Difference 75 Mb.

My Paid For Usage on 2nd June was 42.4 Mb per PRTG but PN have it as 118.5 Mb.
Difference 76.1 Mb.

Ticket 19449007

Hope that helps and thanks for taking the interest.