cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMBU Bar is reading wrong, im sure of it

N/A

I dont know whats up with these 2 days, its registering me as using over 1GB a day, which for general browsing and gaming is VERY high. No downloads over 20mb have been got in over a week, so something has to be up. The Sunday off peak may be due to me streaming the F1 Live results chart, but for an auto updating image file it still seems high for Sundays useage.

Theirs no way ive used this much bandwidth over the last few days, id have known if i had, and 5GB useage in 6 days is a lot considering over the last 8 months ive averaged about 11-12GB a month.

My connection is through a wired router, we do use a wireless access point but its disconnected when its not used.

I really hope something can be done here, we get put on management fast enough a it is, never mind the stats registering like that.
6 REPLIES
10crawford
Grafter

Interesting post.

I raised a ticket on Saturday re my VMBU for usage on Friday. I am 99.9% certain that my usage has been grossly overstated for Friday and have asked Plusnet to check and adjust.

All I get back on the tickets is them asking me for logs of usage which I don't have and a statement that there are no problems with the VMBU tool and the figures should be correct.

Note the word should - I agree they should but I don't think they are plusnet.

On the basis of the lack of acknowledgement of the problem with external usenet server speeds I can only think that a policy of heads in the sand exists within customer support
N/A

Im not expecting them to do anything, and fully expect a request for useage logs which i dont have as it should be plusnets job to accurately monitor my useage, not mine. Also, monitoring the activities of 3 PCs can be slightly difficult.
passer
Grafter

I had problems with the VMBU late last week - see my thread
http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=40556

I raised a ticket, as Peter suggested, and it was acknowledged as a fault, but not fixed. My account rolled over to a new billing period on Sunday, and the VMBU for the new period is OK again, so I closed the ticket.

The VMBU has always been a bit unstable, and as mentioned in the other thread, PlusNet aren't going to fix any new problems with it - complete waste of their effort with it being redundant in 4 weeks time.

I was nowhere near my limits so it didn't really matter, but I suppose it could be a problem for a heavier user, so it's probably worth keeping the ticket open just in case things get awkward before the new one kicks in. At least you'll have an acknowledgement that there is an underlying problem.

Just one more point - with 3 PCs and a wireless link, I'd have another check that something isn't running somewhere in the background. I have the same setup, and it's amazing how quickly my son can forget he's left his uploads wide open while waiting for a download to kick in, especially when he's on MSN. And of course, uploads count towards your usage.
N/A

Its very easy to monitor the PCs really, the laptop is used for business so is rarely used for internet useage, and the other desktop is used about 30 mins a day for checking emails. My PC is the only one that is regularly used making bandwith pretty easy to follow, all PCs are regularly scanned for viruses/spyware and i dont use torrents or usenet really (about 200mb a month if that) so leaving that on isnt an issue.

I really dont have a clue what has caused this high a reading other than a plusnet screw up.
passer
Grafter

Sounds like you've covered everything. Other than someone nearby hacking into your wireless connection when it's on (though I suspect you have it secured), it seems that you're getting a faulty reading. Let's hope that the new VMBU is less error-prone. :?
N/A

You meantion viruses/spyware, good for checking those but I would advise you also pick up something which is specifically an anti-trojan scanner as quite a few trojan/backdoor programs can be missed by the above 2 softwares.