cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMBU Accuracy

N/A

VMBU Accuracy

I've been away on holiday for some of this accounting period and got a suprise when I checked VMBU this morning.

According to the new metering system, I've used 15.3Kb / 0.07Kb off peak/peak for broadband phone calls and 267.67Kb / 137.15Kb off peak/peak gaming.

How can this be: I don't have a BB phone account nor do I have hardware to make BB phone calls. I'm not a gamer and don't play off-line or on-line games.

The above figures are a complete work of fiction. What credibility do the other figures in VMBU have?

I am very, very annoyed by this. Evil

Fred
6 REPLIES
N/A

VMBU Accuracy

Hello Fred,

Chill mate!! I've had the exact same experience as you. YES!! I got very upset & annoyed about it too. But frankly lifes far too short to really get so upset about such a daft small thing. Look life is fully of stupid small annoyances of this kind.

**Look these figures are tiny amounts, YES!! YES!! I know neither of us play online games nor use the PlusTalk internet phone calls, YES! I know its the principal of the thing, but look its pathetically stupidity of the VMBU tool that F9 cannot correct this matter. Seems beyond them to fix it & I have no idea why, and frankly I no longer really care either.

**Try and look at it another way? Look in the overall scheme of life the universe and everything (take a step back for once and look at the BIG picture!!) whats a few kbps or even a few megs when the overall monthly amount is going to be in Gigs? As long as my service isnt going to be crippled as a result, or throttled or traffic managed I'm just not going to let it upset me, I strongly suggest you do the same, as I said life's to short mate.

Ivan
N/A

VMBU Accuracy

Hello Fred,

Chill mate!! I've had the exact same experience as you. YES!! I got very upset & annoyed about it too. But frankly lifes far too short to really get so upset about such a daft small thing. Look life is fully of stupid small annoyances of this kind.

Hi Ivan

I hear what you say. However I'm on a BB+ acc and am using just under my 3Gb per month. If inaccuracies of this kind enter the equation then there is some possibility that I could be pushed over the 3Gb threshold and I will be seriously annoyed if that were to happen.

Fred

<chill mode on> Smiley
N/A

VMBU Accuracy

I've now received a reply to the ticket I opened about this matter first thing this morning. Thanks to the support staff for their quick response.

There are generally two reasons why this can happen.

The first being that traffic is misidentified, sometimes, for instance, antivirus software can update in a way that can be identified as VOIP traffic.

Secondly, there is also background traffic, external sources which are trying to connect to your connection in error and these will show up as usage against your account.

Given the figures are relatively small, the second option is the most likely cause for this."

Long live Ellacoya! Wink

Fred
N/A

VMBU Accuracy

Hi Fred,

YEP!! I can completely sympathise with what your saying (the same applies to me as well) but I think if it ever came to that sort of situation you could strongly argue your case with F9 as its there VMBU tool thats in error IMO. Tongue

Ivan
N/A

VMBU Accuracy

I think in general terms we have to accept the traffic figures as being accurate, as this is the traffic being generated by, or being sent to, your IP.

However, how the network identifies that traffic, and to which protocol it is assigned, is subject to error. What you see within the detailed section of the VMBU is the equipments "best guess" at what that traffic is.

Argueing the toss with F9, wether the traffic is yours or not, will fall on deaf ears.

If you need a reality check then take a look at

Your OLD VMBU

and compare with

Your NEW VMBU

If the overall figures differ greatly then I suggest you raise a support ticket
m_g_davies

VMBU Accuracy

The View My Usage meter has always been a joke. When I was on dialup it never worked properly. I could never get a proper explanation of how it worked.

I tried both these links:

'f you need a reality check then take a look at

Your OLD VMBU

and compare with

Your NEW VMBU

If the overall figures differ greatly then I suggest you raise a support ticket'

and got the same screen.

Am I missing something?

And is there any single page which explains all the limits, throttlings etc in plain English?