cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VBMU problems

N/A

VBMU problems

My wife and I have just returned from abroad on hols. On May 30th I turned my PC off and unplugged it. I thought I had turned my wireless WEP encrypted router off also, but it now seems I might not have.

We got back to the UK on Friday, 10 days later, and I noticed that the useage of my Broadband connection had actually gone up while we were away. I raised a ticket and CS asked me to confirm that my router had been disconnected because if it had not it would account for the useage reported. Rather odd I that it had increased over normal useage I thought but?

I live in a small rural village and no one else is within the range of my router which is encrypted anyway. Clearly no virus could have been using the PC which was off. Does anyone else have experience of PN adding mythical useage to the VBMU figures while away on holiday or is this just another example of PN not having the faintest idea of who is using what so they just share it out?

According to my current meter (no period shown, just todays date) I have already used twice the amount I use in any normal month, and that's when I am not here!
7 REPLIES
N/A

VBMU problems

As a follow up to my earlier post I have now had a reply from CS. They have asked if my anti virus and firewall software are up to date together with my anti spyware software. Apparently it is possible that some malware was using my PC while I was away. Now I know virus writers are clever, but how on earth would a virus plug my PC in and turn it on while I was away on holiday?

Anyone got any other ideas?
N/A

VBMU problems

If as you say, your PC was switched off while you were away then that can't be the cause. CS reps make me laugh!!!

Don't take everything CS reps tell you as gospel, are you relying on the VMBU stats to indicate usage while you've been away?

Search around here for VMBU problems, personally I can't trust the new VMBU - for me, 20 days into my billing period and not one day matches my actual usage. My VMBU currently says 4.6GB (2.18 peak/2.62 o-peak) but my actual usage is 19.4GB (4.1 peak/15.3 o-peak).
N/A

VBMU problems

If as you say, your PC was switched off while you were away then that can't be the cause. CS reps make me laugh!!!

I agree; the latest news release from Ian Wild has suggested that the CSC agents were and are poor at problem solving.

We have also allowed recent recruitment drives to bring down the overall skill level within our support centre.
N/A

VBMU problems

My son is with PN also, at least until he can find a viable alternative. His stats are garbage too. I find it really annoying that I am expected to believe that a disconnected PC could actually generate useage. It would be really nice to have a response from someone in CS that has a vague idea of what they are talking about. PN used to be really helpful when I joined a couple of years ago but they have lost the plot at the moment. There are enough postings about VBMU garbage. Why can't PN read what is going on if we can? They can change the terms of what we paid for fast enough but sorting out the method THEY have implemented to measure what we use seems beyond them. Such a shame for what used to be a great ISP.
druck
Dabbler

VBMU problems

The usuage counts both data sent from you ans sent to you, but even if your router is off, its still being sent to you and counted. When I've been away, I've seen at most a few MB a day which is the normal internet background radiation of port scans, virus activity and other malicous probing. If you are unlucky and soneone is performing a concerted hacking attempt or denial of service attack, lots more data might be sent to you, but it still should not be more than your normal usage figures.
N/A

VBMU problems

....but even if your router is off, its still being sent to you and counted.

Surely not :?

When your router is off you have no connection and no IP address so how does PN/BT know incoming data is for you?Huh
druck
Dabbler

VBMU problems

I should have said, thats only if you have a static IP address.