Did you mean: 

V92

Stef
Grafter

V92

Does PlusNET do V92?

Does any UK ISP do V92?

... just installed a V92 modem and found that:-

A/ Handshake takes (a lot) longer than V90!
B/ Connect speed is always less than V90 !!

Seems like I just wasted £15 !

Sad

Regards, Stefan
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

V92

V92 never really caught on with ISPs and BT. In theory there should not be any difference between the speeds achieved with V92 and V90. However you do get variations between different modem manufacturers / chipsets (some are better at handling low quality connections than others) and thus you get speed differences which is probably what you are seeing.

As for the V92 features like suspending the data call to answer an incoming call, very few ISPs support this so if that was the main reason for purchasing the modem you have wasted £15.

I have no idea if PlusNet support V92 but as they use BTs equipment to answer modem connections it's really BT that needs to be asked.
lhorwath
Grafter

V92

We participated in a V92 trial, about two years ago. This did not have any pick up so we stopped it. You can still use the modem to connect to us, but it does not have the V92 facilities.

kind regards

Luke
Stef
Grafter

V92

You can still use the modem to connect to us, but it does not have the V92 facilities.

kind regards

Luke

Oh well, looks like I was suckered again "V92 modem going cheap!" Shockedops:

Thanks, Stef
Stef
Grafter

V92

As for the V92 features like suspending the data call to answer an incoming call, very few ISPs support this so if that was the main reason for purchasing the modem you have wasted £15.

I actually got it on impulse for my daughters PC thinking that with V44 compresion it might speed up her surfing a bit - hey ho -

I agree the internal Sitecom V92 modem should be no slower than the external Diamond V90 it replaced but it *is* (Typically connects at 33kbps rather than 45kbps) possibly for the reasons you state.

If I am quick I may be able to take it back to PC World and get my money back!

Thanks, Stef
N/A

V92

It would be handy to know which chipset is in use on this modem. Simply read out the codes on the top of the black chips.

From this, it may be possible to set the modem to disable V.92, preventing it from attempting the use of v.92.

No fidingling with wires, just a simple setting in windows.
Community Veteran

V92

If you are only getting 33K then it's falling back to V34 rates meaning there is a problem with the modem working with V90/V92 terminating equipment that PlusNet/BT use.

There are several sitecom PCI modem versions so I don't know exactly which one you are using. Try reading the manual that came with it to see what AT commands you need to set to turn off V.92 and V.44.

It may be something like: AT+MS=v90,0 to disable V92 and AT+PMH=1 to disable V.44.

you don't need to include AT for eact command i.e. AT+MS=v90,0+PMH=1 will do the same. You could try entering these by clicking on the modem icon in control panel then selecting properties or advanced or something on that window. Somewhere you are able to enter AT commands to configure./setup the modem - I don't have a modem on this PC so can't explain any better.
jberry
Grafter

V92

Hi there,

It is also worth considering that external modems are generally better than internal modems because they do not use any of your computers resources, never have any compatibility issues and also have no chance of being a WinModem as oposed to a hardware modem.

This may be why your V92 modem is slightly slower than your V90 modem.

Regards,
Stef
Grafter

V92

It would be handy to know which chipset is in use on this modem. Simply read out the codes on the top of the black chips.

From this, it may be possible to set the modem to disable V.92, preventing it from attempting the use of v.92.

No fidingling with wires, just a simple setting in windows.

Thanks but I took this modem back to PC World this morning and got my £14.99 back! I reconnected the Diamond Supra 56ePRO external modem (Six years old) and it works like a dream.

I suppose the learning from this is if you get a slower than optional connect speed e.g. 33K don't assume it's poor line quality (as I always used to) it could quite likely be the modem or it's settings. I would like to point out that the the Sitecom connected at 33k to PLUSnet AND another ISP I tested although ostensibly it was a modern V92 modem.

[I have recently 'had the covers off' a number of PC's and although it's great fun you can waste days fiddling with setings, jumpers, BIOS, memory settings etc etc... What amazed me is just how much overall system design can effect PC performance. For instance I had a Pentium II 300 that went faster than a Pentium III 450. And an Athlon 1000 based system that 'feels' a lot faster than a Athlon 1500. Memory, board, graphices and disk performance make a vast difference to overall performance].

Another weird thing was two PC's connected by 100T NIC's going flat out they could only transfer data at 15Mbps [With a CPU load of 6% on one machine and 15% on the other]

all very weird...