cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utterly useless speeds (again)

Community Veteran

Since the previous topic was deleted for some unknown reason...

Latest speed test:

Results Image not loaded

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 3500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 4288 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 86 kbps

The synch is always 4000 or above, yet ip throughout is pathetic. No noise on voice line, no dropping of connection other than when I reboot the router in futile attampts to fix it from my end.

Its blatantly blooming obvious this is a problem with some equipment BT side, and Im expected to take roughly £300 worth or so out of my time to wait for an engineer.

If its my fault, I have to pay the BT costs (£140 is it?) - yet if its their fault I just have to swallow the £300 of my time I will have spent out of the office.

Seems just a tad one sided to me. :roll:

As per usual the speed test asks to continue to do the second test, and still several months after rolling this new speed test out, BT still havent fixed it, and the second part where you have to use BT_test_user@plus.net still doesnt work, sitting at 96% for ever.

What a complete joke!.
27 REPLIES
N/A

Question:

Why are you with "joke of an ISP" plusnet? your problem maybe BT but PN were taking me for a ride for the last 6 months.

I got ridiculous speeds from them. Soon as I switched to another ISP, everything was fine!
Community Veteran

its not PN, or at least I hope its not.

Im connecting through the RIN and through the PN network to test, and when the problem is present, which is now most of the time, it makes no difference which network Im connected to.

As BT want me to take litterally £300 worth of my time out of a working day to wait for an enigineer, it is actually cheaper for me to switch to an LLU provider and have my line connected to different equipment in the exchange that way.

If it were water ingress or dodgy conection in the cable between the exchange an here I would be seeing poor quality voice calls and or drops in synch or even complete drops of connection alltogether.

Im not - Im just seeing pathetic IP traffic throughput, which indicates something wrong at the DSLAM level or beyond to me. If BT wont start their fault finding at that end, then I will make the entire process a little easier for both PN and BT and just leave them both.

BT are in my opinion without a shadow of a doubt, the most useless, inflexible, incompetent organisation I unfortunately have any dealings with.

Oh and I must appologise - my other thread was not deleted, I just did not look hard enough! Shockedops:
Community Veteran

Also as an addition, the upload speed is NEVER affected.

So exactly how would a line fault or wiring fault of any kind only affect IP traffic in one direction :roll:

I dont know how much more obvious it needs to be that its a BT fault. If there were flames coming out of the cabinet in the street, they would still want to start by checking my sockets.
suec45
Grafter

Where do you earn £300 a day in CHesterfield?

Whats your job?
Community Veteran

Sue,

What chesterfield does for a living is not really our business :|

@Chesterfield

It certainly seems like there is either exchange contention (Which is probably unlikely) or there's a problem with the DSLam that you're connected to.

Has anyone got back to you from the PN side yet?? if not, I'll give them a big nudge to look into it for you..

Cheers,

Roger.
Community Veteran

Ive not raised a ticket yet, purely because on previous occasions even with the above taken into account BT still cant do anything other than follow the scripts which start with "get customer to sit around for half a day waiting for engineer to turn up". Its not PN's fault per se, as they can only repeat what the immovable object BT say.

I have been able to sort out cover so that if I could have an "after 4pm" appointment that would be ok. But no, absolutely no flexibility what so ever. 8am to 1pm or 1pm to 6pm, and if there is nobody in I get charged for an aborted visit. (which I still dont know the costs of).

The only thing that can be suggested is book a standard appointment time and be there all the time, or just hope they turn up after 4 on that day. (and ive been told that BT have made every effort to resolve this?). Great flexibility.

In terms of the cost of my time, I dont mind breaking it down. The net revenue I raised for the company last year was just over £165K. Taking into account the hours worked, it equates to just over £80 per hour. 4 hours off work to wait for BT therefore costs my employer £320.

The problem is, I am my employer as an owner of the small company, my salary is paid effectively from money generated by my work. If I dont work, I dont generate the money.

Im expected to lump it and just accept that myself/my company will be down up to £300+ while I wait for a BT engineer, if it turns out that my wiring/router is at fault (which it isnt), then I have to pay a further £140 I believe.

If its BT's fault, I cant claim back a penny of my costs.

Great isnt it. Smiley

I borrowed another router yesterday just to check a third in case the others were both faulty, and that made no difference either.

So really I supose the aim of this thread rather than resolving my problem, is examining the flexibility of BT and or PN in an effort to resolve these issues.

I suppose I am actually more fortunate than others that are totally self employed and do not have other staff keeping things running, even if the business is losing money. For sole traders, this complete inflexibility from BT must be quite difficult.

A bt speed test today shows over 400kbs ! Still, its not the 3000 or so I should get, but its over the 400kb minimum which I suppose is enough for BT to state no fault found. Oh well.
Community Veteran

Hi Chesterfield,

I'd raise a ticket if I were you to get the ball into motion.

There was a post in the Usergroup about BT visit charges here

The PlusNet UserGroup have been informed today that BT have increased the charge for engineer visits when the cause is faulty End User Equipment from £50+Vat (£58.75) to a whopping £144+VAT (£169.20). By End User Equipment, BT means everything from the master socket including extension wiring and routers/modems (commonly known as CPE in BT terminology). These new charges came into effect on 1st April 07 for ADSL lines and will come into effect on 1st June 07 for SDSL lines

It's pretty hefty, but it's there to discourage people from just raising faults without making sure all their equipment is working first....

There's another link here about PN's policies on aborted visits.

HTH

PS: I'm wondering if anyone has actually billed BT for wasted time when their engineers haven't shown up?? :twisted:

Roger.
Community Veteran

The problem is, that my issue is also intermittent.

Today for example a speed test has shown just over 400 kbps, which is above the 400kb minimum expected service level for my 3500kb connection. So I presume would land me with the £169.20 cost.

If the engineer had turned up yesterday, it would have been well below the limit, so therefore generated a fault.

So not only am I up against the object of sorting out a visit time which does not run the risk of costing me for an aborted visit, but also Im going to have to play russian roulette as to whether the fault will even be present when the engineer arrives anyway.

Although intermittent seems to mean most of the time now, last time I did have an engineer visit for this, about 5 minutes before he turned up the fault magically resolved itself again.

To demonstrate how eratic this problem is, Ive conducted another test just now and this time its 129kbps. Well below the 400kbps limit.
Community Veteran

I'd really urge you to raise a ticket to get the process moving of an engineer visit - if you have eliminated everything your end in terms of equipment, ie. router, filters, internal wiring then I highly doubt you will be charged for anything - my gut feeling is that there is a fault within the exchange with the DSLAM equipment. It might take them some time to find the fault, but until they look, they can't find, therefore raising your blood pressure cause of your intermittent fault!

It's worth a try, and sometimes they don't even need to come to your house to do the work. Nothing to lose by trying!

Roger.
RobDickson
Grafter

I had a BT telephone cable damaged by British Gas when it repaired a gas leak. I billed British Gas for the time that I spent getting the telephone cable repaired, and it paid up.

Good luck with your complaints.
N/A

Off topic, but...

BT are in my opinion without a shadow of a doubt, the most useless, inflexible, incompetent organisation I unfortunately have any dealings with

If you think BT are bad, you should try British Gas

My Story Here:
http://www.coofercat.com/wiki/BritishGas#comment-6762

Steve
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

As I've said before I also think it's either an exchange or line issue, in fact I'm convinced of it. I was driving to work a couple of weeks ago and saw I think 15 BT vans outside your exchange and said to the guys here they must be looking for your fault.

Many a time they can fix it without a visit but sometimes they need to do the visit to either determine exactly what the fault is, to run some tests end to end or to see if it's fixed.

I wonder if the time it was fixed just before the engineer turned up if the engineer had done something to investigate the fault, maybe checked the green cabinet for a short circuit or crossed line or something, didn't notice anything but whatever he did fixed it.

I think we've tried everything to get an engineer visit at a more specific time or at a weekend and it just isn't possible. Other than have someone else be there I'm at a loss of what to suggest.
Community Veteran

Well until I can either arrange to work from home or BT can arrange a Saturday visit - we have a stalemate situation.

I appreciate PN's help in this matter, and my frustration is now clearly directed at BT (just in case it does not always come accrossthat way).

Once my circumstances change, if they do, I will arrange a visit.

But what happens if the fault is not presenting at the time of the visit? Although its most of the time now, there are some times when it does scrape above the 400kbps threshold they consider "acceptable" for a 3.5mb line.

Slightly off topic, but the business I part own is involved in the energy sector, and this involves regular dealing with British Gas. Although they can be a pain, at least I can speak to someone at British Gas and "try" to resolve any errors. With BT I cant even do that! :lol:
Community Veteran

Can anyone confirm what happens if the problem is not present at the time of the visit.

or if the test results come back with a speed that just scrapes through the 400kbps level?