cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a domain name in 'Mail from' address gives 451 error

N/A

Hi all,

I'm a happy Plusnet customer of some 18 months or so. During that time I've been sending mail (through relay.plus.net) using a domain name I've had registered with a third party hosting company. It's been fine until late december when I started getting '451 - temporary local problem' errors when sending mail.

I tested using telnet and right enough when I specified my 'real' plusnet email address as the 'from' address it sent fine. Using my domain name in the 'from' address gave the 451 error. Seems relay.plus.net doesn't like my domain name any more. Now plusnet support are telling me I need to host the domain with them in order to get it working.

I'd love some techy information on whether this is indeed correct and if so, when did it become necessary?

Many thanks,

George
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Strange - I've just successfully sent an email to my google mailbox where the from is set to a domain which is nothing to do with Plusnet.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Liam
Grafter

Could you possibly PM me the domain in question and I'll have a look? And the E-Mail address you are using as the from address.
Ianwild
Grafter

The only check in place is that the from address domain must be valid - Have you checked to ensure it hasn't expired?

Ian
N/A

Yeah it's valid till aug 2008. I've sent the details to lmartin to check out.