cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a Voyager 105 with a brand new Mac (intel)

N/A

I've looked through a number of postings here, to try to work out why I can't help my brother get his Mac to recognise the Voyager 105. I did see a post which suggested that the drivers don't work or some such - can anyone confirm this please?

I've also seen one which suggests that it won't work above 2Mbps anyway - why are they being sold with higher speed lines then? Any comments?

cheers
Danny
7 REPLIES
JonathanW
Grafter

There have been a few problems in the past getting Macs to work with the voyager 105 USB modem. Its generally sorted out by Voyager themselves if a real problem does exist. Either check the voyager site to see if there have been any new drivers, or if need be you might want to call their support line.

As for the reports of the 105 not supporting the higher speeds, this isn't the case. Its the slightly older 100 that doesn't work properly with speeds over 2mb, and its this that Voyager released an update for.
N/A

Re: Using a Voyager 105 with a brand new Mac (intel)

Many thanks for that, that's helpful.

I'm trying to talk him through getting set up, but before there's an Internet connection to work with, so downloading drivers isn't that easy. I'd have
expected them to be on the CDs which come with the Plus.Net kit, i.e.
the Voyager 105 stuff ..

Can you confirm whether they are there or not please and if so, whereabouts
they are and on which CD?

Many thanks
Danny
N/A

Unfortunately there are no drivers for the new Intel based Macs available. The Rosetta translation tool which can run PowerPC binaries on an Intel architecture is not able to translate kernel extensions (hardware drivers) so an update to the drivers is needed. There were also problems in the past with the drivers not being updated for 10.4 for months, Mac support appears to be very low on the list of priorities for the manufacturer.

All I can suggest is returning the USB modem to PlusNet, asking for a refund and purchasing an ethernet based modem.
___oDiN__
Grafter

or even better burn the mac at midnight then cleanse ur hands fully of any contaminations...

Smiley
N/A

This isn't the place for platform rants. So I won't rip into you about your misguided comments which are completely unhelpful for the OP. Wink
N/A

Re: Using a Voyager 105 with a brand new Mac (intel)

thanks for the replies folks. I'm very surprised it's offered as an option or at least as an option without caveats if it is not supported on the newest Macs.

I was also puzzled by an instruction I saw to disable bluetooth when installing the CD - anyone explain why this would be?

thanks again
D!
N/A

It's often the way, companies (suppliers and manufacturers) don't take non-Windows OS's seriously and don't keep up to date with changes. A note should be made regarding this incompatibility on the PlusNet sign-up pages, along with alternative options. I have no idea when drivers will become available, AFAIK there is no official stance (or support) for the Intel Macs from BT.

I'm not sure why the installer would have mentioned Bluetooth, other than if it was disabling all network devices. But the installer really shouldn't do that and would have no need to. Probably just another sign of the shoddiness of the BT Voyager drivers Wink