cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Users opinion of DSL MAX so far?

N/A

Hello,

I'm really curios to know what users think of DSL MAX after having been upgraded to the new service.
48 REPLIES
N/A

I voted your second option. But since I get an average of 4mbit/s, it's more than "marginally better".... it has more than doubled my speed. I can't pick your first option as it's nowhere near the 8mbit/s I was expecting.

I've always had a very stable 8mbit/s line sync with the exchange, but the fastest burst of speed I've ever seen (even at quiet times at 4am), is about 5.5mbit/s

I'm dissapointed that at no time during a 24hr period is there any hope in hells chance of actually achieving a peak speed of 7mbit/s, even though I have a perfect quality line sync.
N/A

Hello glasstower

I think you are in good company, many users appear to be in the same position sadly. MAX hasnt delivered any were near the expected or hoped for real speeds. Other providors namely the cable companies do seem to be able to deliver these higher speeds > 4megs consistently.

**I would change over to NTL but I dont like their phone service and I dont like the quality of the customer service either. I did some research amongst customers and there was alot of very unhappy users so its really put me off. But I'm still looking around for another providor, zen seems to be at the top of the list so far.

Ivan
Pendragon
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hi Cyteck,

I had to vote for the top one 'Better then expected'.

On the 'old' ADSL we only had a 512K connection but since we were 'MAXED' we have had a 3.6 Meg connection. It syncs at about 3600 to 5128 depending on the weather Smiley but the download speed seems to remain high at around 300 to 480K sec. Test downloads always give the speed at around 3.6 Meg for the connection

We were expecting around 1 to 1.5 Meg from the BT information pages so this is much better than expected :shock:

BTW I did purchase a new Linksys WAG354G wireless router to go with the upgrade. The old Binatone could be unstable when used with MAX, according to their technical support adviser.

So far it's a thumbs up from me!

Regards, Colin.
N/A

I am hoping that F9 get back on the case ASAP. BT speed checked my line @ 6.5Mb. Hopefully I will somewhere near that.

Boo Yeah!!!
N/A

Having my speed dropped by 50% a few days after MAX, they have returned to slightly lower than they were before the upgrade. A bit disappointed really when others who were also on 1mb seem to have such better speeds than me.

Mark
N/A

Hello Mark,

Well I guess its cold comfort mate but my real speeds under MAX DSL are absymal and they are all over the show. One minute OK around 3.5 to 4meg next as low as 1.7megs etc. Cry (ha!! so much for upto 8megs man, ya!! right sure!! pigs may fly too?) call me cynical any wonder!! :roll:

Ivan
N/A

Hi Ivan,

I took the last option in your poll. As a long standing customer, I'm still awaiting my "upgrade". However, I'm happy to sit back and let you guys take over the "guinea pig" roll, or should that be "beta tester" as we are talking I.T. Hopefully, by the time I do get maxDSL all the quirks and problems should well and truely have been put to bed.

In all honesty, my "standard" 2mb connection as been running wonderfully well (that's done it now..... Shocked ), no disconnects, apart from F9 doing some work in Telehouse a couple of weeks ago, and the speeds, I have to say are rather good, even had a torrent going at 220k at the weekend.

I've heard that one or two ISP's are offering to place some of their maxDSL customers back on to a fixed 2Mb connection because of bad connectivity. Maybe this is something that F9/+net should be considering, at least for the time being while BT get the maxDSL trial finished. Tongue
Trebor
Grafter

Mine are slightly down on my old speed now that they've stalbed out, but I do get periods of real slow speeeds which I never got before Cry
N/A

We're part of that increasingly vocal majority that are still waiting to be Max'd.

I still don't think it will ever happen whilst I remain a F9 customer.
N/A

Disappointed so far, I have been upgraded for several weeks - but still do not see any speeds above 2meg.
In reality I am usually getting around 1 Meg -1.5 Meg - which is slower than on the previously reliable 2 meg connection!

I am also annoyed that stable rate is downgraded after one episode of low sync and despite having disconnected / reconnected every day for the last 4 days and been syncing at higher rate consistently, stable rate has not been upped!
This is typical of service I have come to expect in this country - not just BT / F9 but in general these days (Old Git Mode enabled!! Evil ).
Organisations are mostly all too keen to take the money and scr*w the customers who pay their wages!

It took BT / F9 a month to get me d/l speeds above about 10k per sec when I first joined F9, so I am not holding my breath for BT to sort out their DSLMax problems any time soon - like a lot of people out there, I am actually worse off after the so called upgrade!

Such is life! :roll:

GB
David_W
Rising Star

Not upgraded as of yet, probably will not be upgraded until ADSL 5 comes out with speeds of 100GB/Sec... :twisted:
N/A

HI dgwebb

Hey - don't sweat it - the 100Gb upgrade is not all it is cracked up to be - it is subject to a SUP of 1GB/month (it says so in the veeeeery small print - just under the large print that says UNLIMITED!)

Keep smiling Wink

GB
N/A

My MSR has just dropped to 1000 and speeds of 600 again!!! Humphhh Evil Evil Another three days needed of above 2mb synch before I can "prod" F9 again to manually change my profile as the auto system is still not working correctly.

Mark
N/A

**I would change over to NTL but I dont like their phone service and I dont like the quality of the customer service either. I did some research amongst customers and there was alot of very unhappy users so its really put me off. But I'm still looking around for another providor, zen seems to be at the top of the list so far.

Ivan

At the moment, top of my list is "Be Un limited" http://www.bethere.co.uk

Seems to be just what I need, and not one 'major' complaint about the service in all the forums when I researched it last month, and existing customers seem to be very keen on defending them against negative comments (seem to remember plusnet customers being like this once).

I can't sign up yet because it's an LLU not available on my exchange, but I'm moving house in 3 months time and my new exchange will give me acccess to be* (and several other LLU's).