cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Username and email

N/A

Username and email

When I originally signed up with Plusnet over 3 years ago I didn't really think very seriously about the choice of my username. I didn't realise at the time how this would be incoporated in my email address. Of course Plusnet will not let you change your username.
I am now on broadband and still would like to change my username for email purposes but Plusnet will not let me do so without cancelling and signing up again. I don't want to go through that proceedure as my broadband is working very well and I don't want to upset anything.
About 6 months ago I was advised that one way of getting around this problem was to sign up for a free dial up Pay as you go account with plusnet with the user name of my choice. I could then have a plusnet email address connected from that account and as I mainly access it through Outlook it would make little difference to me.
I was told at the time that all I needed to do to keep the account active was to connect to the internet using this dial up connection at least once every three months OR access my email from this account at least every three months.
To my suprise I had an email from Plusnet yesterday informing me that as I had not connected via this account it would be terminated from Monday 12th June if I didn't use it in the next 2 days.
However I do access my email from this account daily although this is done by my broadband connection. I have not used ordinary dial up for over a year, have tried to do so but cannot even get a ringing tone.
Why are Plusnet trying to take away my account when I have been accessing my email as instructed?
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Username and email

Generally the validity of a dial-up account would depend you to dial up via an 08x number from that company within a certain amount of time. Therefore generating revenue to that company - checking e-mail doesn't usually count. BT are no different and I do the same now and again to keep my old BT Internet account active.

I know PlusNet allow you to create a new dial-up account (if you have a subscription account and wish to change username) and request that to have the posting privileges passed on to the forums. It seems though the same dial-up requirements are still applied to the OP's account?

A good question is do the usual dial-up requirements apply if a new account is opened in this way, or does it not apply since they they are a subscription account holder? I would assume the latter but it seems not in this case. If the posting privialges are transferred, does this include the dial-up requirements?
hitachi
Grafter

Username and email

I have 3 Plusnet dial up accounts which I keep for internet forum signups and the like,so they are disposable if the spam gets heavy.
I have used them for a couple of years and never done any more than check them in outlook using my broadband account.
N/A

Get a Domain Name

Just a thought - buy a domain name from one of the various Cos around (I use 123 -Reg). You then have the choice of a number of email addresses and you then get them redirected to your PlusNet address. Its also good insurance should you decide to change ISPs in the future. I paid just over £3 for two years for my Domain name and 50 email addresses.
JB