cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usergroup article on 1% usage

N/A

Usergroup article on 1% usage

106 REPLIES
Laser
Grafter
Posts: 206
Registered: 23-09-2007

Usergroup article on 1% usage

Interesting figures. Certainly they show the justification for needing to share things out more evenly.

It is also interesting that 90% of BB+ customers use less than 1GB, yet 100% of us have now been restricted to hopeless speeds. Sad

Correct me if I'm wrong, but PN would lose money if that 90% all moved to PAYG and so wanted the larger webspace, scripting, static IP, better profile, etc... :twisted:
N/A

Usergroup article on 1% usage

I wonder if peter or another member of the usergroup is able to add another table to this for the 1% increments of 90% to 100% so that everyone else will see exactly where the usage lies.

These figures made pretty good viewing yesterday.

How about it guys, have you got the info available to you?
rammie1976
Grafter
Posts: 571
Registered: 02-09-2007

Usergroup article on 1% usage

Realistically, if I'm reading the figures correctly, only the top 2% of BB+ users might even vaguely be classed as heavy users (more than 20Gb)! Yet as you say all are punished!!

Why not just have a 20Gb or even 10Gb cap on BB+ and let us do with it what we wantHuh
N/A

Usergroup article on 1% usage

It does show how the high users skew the average when 90% of the premier userbase has mean usage of 5.36 but this doubles when you add in the heaviest 10%. It would be interesting to see the other 90% broken down to add further context [\sad statto]
N/A

Usergroup article on 1% usage

archeolith,

Although this would suit some people, a lot of BB+ plus users would be scared off by the HARD CORE CAP. Besides this, when your next billing date is due you will be able to use P2P and FTP again, off peak this should work at a very good level, then 8am till 4pm this will slow down a little and 4pm till midnight this would be slowed down even more due to peak hours.

Im not trying to sound like PN here, but if you need round the clock good speeds on these protocols then Premier would be a better way to go, or even PAYG if you use only 1 or 2 GB a month.

If memory serves it should be free for you to upgrade to either one of these.
rammie1976
Grafter
Posts: 571
Registered: 02-09-2007

Usergroup article on 1% usage

So you think a 'large' cap is more scary than the complicated scenario for downloading you've just suggestedHuh (Where I have to be sure that I won't want to d/l something I've just discovered while surfing, but perhaps have to wait and schedule it?) How odd. :roll:

Aren't there lots of ISPs out there with very small (ie 1GB) caps for the 'light users'? BB+ would look very appealing compared to them...

oh and does a cap put off the majority of Premier customers?
N/A

Usergroup article on 1% usage

Quote
It does show how the high users skew the average when 90% of the premier userbase has mean usage of 5.36 but this doubles when you add in the heaviest 10%. It would be interesting to see the other 90% broken down to add further context [\sad statto]


Sorry but PN didnt give us permission to break down 0-90%
N/A

Usergroup article on 1% usage

One thing that did puzzle me. The top 1% were said to be 1439 customers across all products. That brings the total users to 143,900. I thought the total number of Broadband customers was well in excess of this amount?
N/A

Usergroup article on 1% usage

Yes this is a complicated scenario,

but what you have to remember is that is is only happening due to the semi automated system that is being run. Hopefully this will have been sorted by february 2006 when the peak hours should go back to 4pm - midnight. Then this leaves only 1 peak time and the allowances. The current setup although a little weird, and hard on the eyes sounds a far better deal to me than having a hard cap. One classic example is that of BT where all customers got sent a bill.
Most providers dont even offer a means for one to monitor their usage at all, which would leave us all in a sorry state of affairs.

I personally think we have all got a very good deal. Some more so than others but this is only due to the package they have chosen, and all we can do is allow plusnet to once again prove themselves to be on top and a good isp by allowing these latest changes to properly roll out. This is mainly as it is being rolled out on peoples billing date and so could take another month or so.

Regards,
N/A

Usergroup article on 1% usage

Quote
I wonder if peter or another member of the usergroup is able to add another table to this for the 1% increments of 90% to 100% so that everyone else will see exactly where the usage lies.

These figures made pretty good viewing yesterday.

How about it guys, have you got the info available to you?


I am not quite sure what you want. The 1% steps from 90% to 100% are given. PLease clarify.
rammie1976
Grafter
Posts: 571
Registered: 02-09-2007

Usergroup article on 1% usage

Oh and of course if there was a 10Gb cap it would seem on a simple level that 90% of Premier customers would be just as well off paying less on BB+ !!! Perhaps there is the real reason why +net won't put a hard cap on BB+Huh
N/A

Usergroup article on 1% usage

Sorry,

The 1% steps would show that the new limits do indeed fit the 99% majority. the 1% which is the 100% mark has usage so high ( 52GB for a BB+ account ) that they would be better off on premier.

The same for premier customers, the 1% has a usage of 107GB + where as the other 99% has a usage of less than 80GB ( If i remember right ).
Community Veteran
Posts: 5,877
Thanks: 1
Registered: 05-04-2007

Usergroup article on 1% usage

From what I see bb+ is aimed at those upgrading from dial up who haven't a clue about the various protocols on the net and all they do is log on and check their e-mails and surf the web.

A hard cap would put these customers off because if you use over the cap then your connection stops; whereas with the current; whilst complicated situation the websurfing and e-mail still works.

With the SUP on premier it is not a hard cap and as such the connection still works if you exceed it.
N/A

Usergroup article on 1% usage

Oh Daniel,

Your question "Will PN be having these forums in the future?"

Answer = "Yes definately."

Smiley Hope this cheers you up matey Wink

Regards,