Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usenets speeds on premier?

paulgul
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

With the extra capacity added over the last couple of weeks I was wondering what usenet speeds are like on Premier accounts particularly during the afternoon and evenings. I'm on PAYG at the moment but thinking of going back to premier at the end of my billing period

Paul
13 REPLIES
James
Grafter

During the peak of peak, around 200Kbps should be expected, but you'll be able to see better speeds than that outside those times.

Bear in mind that the platform is imblanced currently after we dropped a central yesterday.
Fixes: 119

I am on P2 and and just before 16:00 I was getting speeds of around 50KBps.

At about 16:10 speeds had gone up to around 150KBps!

This is downloading with XNews from GigaNews.

HTH

Regards

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

paulgul
Rising Star

Ok, thank. Certainly looks better than it was 4-5 weeks ago

Paul
amjrobson
Grafter

I am on premier and struggle to get usenet speeds of greater that 10KBs in the evening on Peak.
I have raised the issue twice on the forums and have been told that that is what I can expect during peak times.

I am actually thinking of leaving plusnet because of this as I beleive less that 10KB/s download rate during peak periods is stupid for a supposed premier account.

Would anyone from PN like to comment on my comments above. Should I be getting greater than 10KB's during peak times. Some evenings it doesnt even hit 1KB/s at peak.
N/A

Welcome to my world !! same old plus.net Sad
Fixes: 119

I went out after I did the short test earlier. It's now just after 9pm and did another test and and getting speeds in the region of 3.6KBps.

So, PN, what is happening here again? Over the last few days, maybe even a week, USENET had been quite acceptable during peak so why is it not now?

To be honest I don't use it much during peak-time but it would be nice to have usability when I require it.

Regards

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

The extra capacity we added last week should improve peak time performance on usenet and P2P, but on Premier the best performance will be off peak, the amount of gold traffic will mean that particularly between about 5-6pm and 10-11pm that usenet speeds will be reduced. For the best performance during these hours then PAYG is the best account to be on.

The problem with PTE-AG2 last night has meant that last night speeds would have been lower for some and that tonight platform isn't quite back in balance. Three of the tunnels on THN-AG1 are still quite under utilised and PTE-AG2 has probably got a higher mix of active light users tonight. Disconnecting and reconnecting until you hit THN-AG1 is probably the best thing to do to try and get on the under utilised segment.
amjrobson
Grafter

Is it easy to find out which gateway I am connected to. Just tried a number of reboots but still very poor speeds
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

This page:

http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway/

will tell you which gateway you are on, although not which segment. There are three segments on THN-AG1 (19 segments overall), but no way of knowing which you are connected to.
amjrobson
Grafter

I am on THN-AG2 is this one slow
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

That's the LLU gateway, hadn't realised you were on LLU. During the day until about 6pm speeds should be fine, but it does get a lot busier between about 6pm and 11pm as you can see here:

http://www.plus.net/support/network_performance/broadband_packets_drop.shtml
amjrobson
Grafter

It thas just started to spring into life 350+ not constant varying from 90 to 350 but this is what I would expect from peak usage.

As I said before it has never been this poor peak before 1-2 weeks ago. Has there been any network changes over the last two weeks to cause this.

I have been connected since about 5:30pm trying to download from usenet and the most I got until a few minutes ago was 3.8KB/s and most of the time it was 0.1KB/s. This way too slow and cannot be described as an acceptable service. I have raised a ticket for investigation.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

The big change has been the introduction of the extra capacity over the last few weeks. Everything isn't properly balanced yet so that's the likely reason.

The first two segments were added to improve Broadband Plus performance. We made gradual changes to get this right and the network balanced so that customers were evenly spread on the new segments. We then added a third segment for Usenet and P2P and Premier last week. This segment is so far only about half utilised and the problem last night on PTE-AG2 has meant that the other pipes are more out of balance than before and there's a lot more active light users on PTE-AG2 than the others.

As such the new bandwidth isn't making as much difference as it should yet so in particular evening speeds on usenet will be lower. As the new capacity gets balanced in then I would expect an increase in speed, but I don't know by how much.