cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usenet

N/A

Usenet

Has usenet already effectively been stopped?

I am on premier, well withing SUP and allowance limits, and at 1:30ish am getting somewhere between about 0 and 2 KB/s.
19 REPLIES
N/A

Usenet

There's been a couple of posts about this recently. I've found out that peak time on ptn-ag2 and ptn-ag1 seems to be the worst. If you're on one of these gateways, switch to another (reboot until you are on another gateway, e.g. pte-ag1 or thn-ag1).

I've submitted a ticket but been told that PlusNet are not aware of any problems and asked if it worse at any particular time. I think therefore there will be a fob-off excuse about traffic management during peak times, ignoring the fact that some gateways are fine while others are not and some customers (on the plus.net and plusnet.co.uk realms) are stuck on this broken gateway.
JonathanW
Grafter

Usenet

Is this when you're trying to access our usenet server, or when you're trying to make use of a third party server?

Similarly, how many threads are you using? Does increasing this make any difference to the speeds that you are seeing?
N/A

Usenet

From my brief testing yesterday both PlusNet's and external providers were effected (although PlusNet's to a slightly lesser degree). When retrieving headers, single threaded, when on ptn-ag1 and 2 I would get 0-2kb/s. When switching to another gateway (e.g thn-ag1 or pte-ag1) I would get near full line speed.
In other words, changing nothing but the gateway would go from unusable to great. there is clearly a problem with thn-ag1 and 2, maybe with the traffic management profiles being applied or simply that they are overloaded.
N/A

Usenet

Is this when you're trying to access our usenet server, or when you're trying to make use of a third party server?

Similarly, how many threads are you using? Does increasing this make any difference to the speeds that you are seeing?

When using plus net's usenet server. 4 threads.

Other protocols seems affected too. I am downloading a suse iso now as a test and getting only 280 kb/s and falling continually.
N/A

Usenet

There's been a couple of posts about this recently. I've found out that peak time on ptn-ag2 and ptn-ag1 seems to be the worst. If you're on one of these gateways, switch to another (reboot until you are on another gateway, e.g. pte-ag1 or thn-ag1).

I've submitted a ticket but been told that PlusNet are not aware of any problems and asked if it worse at any particular time. I think therefore there will be a fob-off excuse about traffic management during peak times, ignoring the fact that some gateways are fine while others are not and some customers (on the plus.net and plusnet.co.uk realms) are stuck on this broken gateway.

now on thn-ag1 getting 0 - 6 kB/s on 2 threads, mostly closer to 0.

Ah... how I remember with fondness those heady days of dialup modem speeds.
N/A

Usenet

Interesting, pte-ag1 is fine here (full line speed). pte-ag2 is doing the stalling and 0-2kbps thing, I haven't checked the other gateways today though.
This are cursory tests just receiving headers on a single thread.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

Usenet

I'm on pte-ag2 using text only usenet on the PlusNet service and it's like treacle! Headers taking ages to load.

Maurice
N/A

Usenet

Thanks for the link BTW. It seems my exchange will be ready to go at 8MB on 31 March. Now I am _really_ worried: when I had 512kb home surf life was good, fast downloads and no cap; now upgraded to 2Mb, slow download and cap; at 8Mb presumably my connection will stop entirely and I will be sent hex dumps on paper by royal mail to type in at keyboard. Ah .... that 'improved customer experience' sure feels good :-)
b2hbm
Grafter

Usenet

Hi folks,

dumb question time - how can I check what gateway I'm on ?

My usenet is virtually static and I'm at less than 2gb peak d/l on a premier account so there can't be any throttling - as you might guess I'm getting fed up with it.

cheers
b2hbm
Grafter

Usenet

whoops - missed the link you guys posted.

sorry - promise to read properly next time Shockedops:
N/A

Usenet

You can check which gateway you are on using the link I have given above Smiley
(Or by manually inspecting which gateway your traffic goes through by performing a traceroute).
If there is a mod about, it may be worth combining the two threads, this one and the one entitled Giganews.
Today the problem has got worse and now all of ptn-ag1, ptn-ag2, pth-ag1 and pte-ag1 are having problems with users unable to even retrieve headers. Meanwhile on pte-ag2 I can grab headers at full line speed (240kB/s).
N/A

Usenet

You can check which gateway you are on using the link I have given above Smiley
(Or by manually inspecting which gateway your traffic goes through by performing a traceroute).
If there is a mod about, it may be worth combining the two threads, this one and the one entitled Giganews.
Today the problem has got worse and now all of ptn-ag1, ptn-ag2, pth-ag1 and pte-ag1 are having problems with users unable to even retrieve headers. Meanwhile on pte-ag2 I can grab headers at full line speed (240kB/s).

0-1 kb/s on pte-ag2. Perhaps I am being throttled......
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Usenet

Just tried usenet - currently getting 180kB/s.

I'm on pte-ag1

Edit: Just started more connections - now getting 235K
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

Usenet

Yerp, I can't get headers on pte-ag2 now. Maybe this is in no way gateway related and just overall shoddy traffic shaping with the over-limiting getting worse when the gateways are busy. Either way it's not good, unacceptable (minutes to load a few new messages in a text only group on plusnets own servers) and shows the fallacy that all gateways are equal. It's clear that some are sometimes more equal than others Wink