cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usenet - yet again - with confusion.

N/A

I'm a bit confused about the Usenet problems we all seem to be having. Is there a technical problem (which would be the implication of the comment on the Service Status Page) or are we all being "managed" during peak times?

My Usenet service was splendid until a couple of weeks ago, and now it is almost unusable. (I am barely able to download the headers for the binary usenet Groups I subscribe to). I can't work out if this is because there is a generic technical fault, or if we are all being managed, or if I am specifically being managed. Would I get an e-mail warning me that I was going to be managed or is this applied by default?

Thanks,

Scarp
10 REPLIES
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Usenet isn't managed in the same way p2p is, however it is given a lower priority than other traffic.

We will soon be improving the priority our usenet servers have on our network, so the performance should improve.
N/A

But performance to external usenet servers will still be pitiful I take it?
N/A

This i what it boils down too..

External usenet will remain in the bronze queue, so at peak times if the network is very busy the speeds will be reduced, the extent that they are reduced depends entirely on how busy the network is at the time.

Ben Brown
PlusNet Customer Support
Now recruiting - See our Careers Page for more details

thxs
N/A

Usenet - yet again - with confusion

Usenet isn't managed in the same way p2p is, however it is given a lower priority than other traffic.

We will soon be improving the priority our usenet servers have on our network, so the performance should improve.

Ben,

Thanks for this. It's good to know that things will get better. Usenet is a major reason in my choice of ISP and I have to say I've been thinking hard about how much longer to stay with Plusnet. I've been very happy with the service to date, but these Usenet problems are really annoying. I do think that any service which calls itself "premier" ought to include some reasonable usenet provision, and the kind of speeds I've had lately do not qualify as reasonable.

It seems almost as if Plusnet is struggling with the volume of traffic it has to handle and Usenet is suffering as a result. I'll give it another month and see.

Regards,

scarp
N/A

If you read the the quotes.

its only plusnets own usnet servers that will get better, but if you use a third party usenet server like giganews, easynews etc then they will still be slow..

thanks
N/A

Indeed, but it's really only Plusnet's NNTP servers I'm interested in, since these are the ones I use for Usenet access. I agree I'd be annoyed if I was paying giganews an extra £30 pm and couldn't get at them, but I don't. At the moment I want Plusnet to put their own house in order before improving access to other folks' houses.

Scarp

[Moderator's note by Mark (pcsni): Full quote of preceeding post removed. Its unnecessary and against the rules.]
N/A

You might just need somebody elses house when they introduce the 15GB cap on the internal Usenet server. If you're not going over that, then you'll have no probs.
N/A

will this 15 gig cap be like their 30 gig peak cap ie we will only know a month after when the usenet part gets managed or will it be a fixed cap where when or if you reach it +net then block your access to usenet just wondering as at the moment they cant differentiate from peak/off peak so how are they going to monitor usenet
:?:
hitachi
Grafter

When we were originally told about the 15gb limit some months ago it was said that after 15gb was reached speed would then be slowed. Dont know if they have changed their minds on this.
N/A

When the 15gb cap comes in does that mean the connection will be back up to 'normal speed' again. I started out on bb+ which was fine to start with getting full speed in the night and low speeds at peak then suddenly it was restricted to 10kb/s anytime. I then upgraded to premier where speeds were as expected but in the last week the speed is between 0 & 10 kb/s. Currently doing a header update on a group and has an estimated time remaining of 7hrs and there is only 124mb remaining. Would be faster for me to drive 100miles to sheffield with a usb pen to get it.../