cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usenet unuseable

Grimbo
Grafter

Usenet unuseable

I try my best to schedule my usenet downloads to off-peak hours, but over the last few days it has become unuseable.

The unfortunate effect of this is that I have to use peak hours too in order to get what I want by the time I want it.

Mainly US TV programmes BTW, nothing (too) illegal!

Plusnet won't be happy until the only customers they have left are web browsers and email users.

When will they realise that people want media these days - and its only gonna get worse!

Maybe we need a two tier charging structure - I don't mind paying a little more, just give me what I want when I want it.
6 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Usenet unuseable

Hi,

We do realise that people want media which is why we are looking to the future and building a platform for the future.

The problem is that IPStream was designed for a world of bursty traffic when the majority of usage was browsing and email and that kind of thing.

The broadband world though has changed a lot since then with VoIP, gaming, video streaming, video on demand, as well as P2P and usenet all competing for bandwidth along with the browsing and the email and everything else.

Part of the idea behind the traffic management at the moment is to give the priority to the interactive traffic, to the gaming, VoIP and browsing, but because of the increasing volume of this type of traffic usenet and P2P speeds, particularly at peak times and in an early afternoon will be reduced. Overnight speeds should be fine (I was getting 700KB/s on one torrent at 3am this morning).

What this all highlights is the need to move off of IPStream on to a platform that is designed with this usage in mind, this is where Wholesale Broadband Connect comes in and also where the next stage of traffic management comes in where customers can start to control the priority of exactly what they do.

Maybe we need a two tier charging structure - I don't mind paying a little more, just give me what I want when I want it.

We actually already have that, in the form of PAYG. On PAYG all traffic gets gold priority or better on network so the speeds you see will be as fast as you can get at anytime of the day (ignoring exchange contention and assuming the source can supply that speed).
Grimbo
Grafter

Usenet unuseable

We actually already have that, in the form of PAYG.

Thanks for the reply Dave... I don't mind paying more, but with PAYG I would probably be paying double.

I agree that usenet has to be throttled, but at the moment it is virtually unuseable from mid-morning to the early hours.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Usenet unuseable

With PAYG you don't pay for usage between midnight and 8am so you could change to say PAYG with 16GB for £25.49 and schedule usage overnight, would that be more suitable?

At the moment there isn't really anything else I can suggest that would increase the usenet speeds (increasing the number of threads may help if you can) outside of early hours.

I've mentioned in a few other posts that we're currently in a Plan B situation which means that some traffic is affected more than others in order to provide the best service to the majority.

Given enough time we can fix it, but it's the sort of problem that can't be fixed overnight, so we have two other plans as well, there's the new capacity that's coming in and we're also planning a trial of the Retail Internet Network (RIN) very soon.
Simon_M
Grafter

Usenet unuseable

What exactly is the Retail Internet Network? The only relevant link Google could come up with was when Plusnet mentioned it in the Plan for 2007 document.
N/A

Usenet unuseable

I had the exact same question... as like you the only real reference was to PN's Vision document.

Also, how exactly will it make anything better for anyone (other than BT)?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Usenet unuseable

The Retail Internet Network (RIN) is a new broadband network that's being developed by BT, the ultimate end product that's being created out of it is something called Wholesale Broadband Connect, you may have seen mention of this in a couple of places.

Essentially what RIN is, is a network that is being designed with what people use their broadband connections for today and tomorrow. IPStream was developed when most usage was bursty low bandwidth traffic like browsing and email, text usenet and IRC chat and maybe a bit of FTP from web site designers updating their sites and things like that. Whereas today there's video streaming and VoIP and gaming and we're just starting to see video on demand services and all kinds of other things as well as P2P and binary usenet.

RIN is being designed as I say with all this in mind, so there's the bandwidth for people to use the video on demand services and the stuff like that and coupling that with our traffic management we can a) ensure that the interactive stuff gets the priority so it isn't impacted by other usage and b) give the customer more control over the priorities (so if they want priority usenet for example they can do this with some kind of control panel).

We'll be putting more info out about this as and when we can, there's a load of techy behind the scenes stuff to it, but essentially the way to look it is the next generation of broadband services in the UK where we don't have to worry about sessions and 622 pipes and stuff like that.