cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usenet unuable

N/A

Usenet unuable

Is there a reason why usenet is <1KB/s, non-peak time, no restricted access?

Is there a solution?
8 REPLIES
N/A

Usenet unuable

> Is there a solution?

another ISP!

Plusnet are beginning to p*55 me off now, but its reassuring to know its not just me!

usenet websites like easynews, giganews, etc are completely blocked at the moment. I know its now 'peak' time but its been blocked since about 1pm!! And I've used less than 2 GB peak bandwidth since last bill.
N/A

Usenet unuable

Is it PN official policy to block usenet?

I have had the same close to zero speed for several days, both on and off-peak.
N/A

Usenet unuable

As far as Easynews go, they claim for my account that its a Level3.net issue (i.e. one of the USA backbone providers)...

Strange how its ok at the moment (or rather was this morning), and changes depending on which one of PlusNet's gateways I connect via... :roll:

Not sure what I'm going to do at the moment...
N/A

Usenet unuable

As far as Easynews go, they claim for my account that its a Level3.net issue (i.e. one of the USA backbone providers)...

Well, thats interesting, because a friend of mine also on plusnet can get the easynews home page fine, whereas it still times out for me.

and changes depending on which one of PlusNet's gateways I connect via...

Is that something that one can change, or is it just pot luck which gateway you are allocated.
shellsong
Grafter

Usenet unuable

If you disconnect your router for a short period then it is pot luck what gateway you will be on when you reconnect. You can disconnect and reconnect until you are on your gateway of choice

You can check what gateway you are on with http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway
N/A

Usenet unuable

thanks shellsong

I Was chatting with my friend who was able to get the site, comparing tracert etc

I had disconnected and reconnected a few times this afternoon with no joy

I thought I'd just check my connection settings, "surf" was set to unlimited, but I set to restricted and then unlimited again, disconnected, reconnected, got a different gateway and can now access it again!!

For the record, the gateway that wasn't working was

lo0-plusnet.ptn-ag1.plus.net [195.166.128.123]

-Alan
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Usenet unuable

Is it PN official policy to block usenet?

It isn't, no, although if you are on Broadband Plus then that account type isn't designed for binary usenet usage and it will be slow. Premier or PAYG would be more suitable.
N/A

Usenet unuable

Giganews have a "speed tester" on their site that should apparently estimate the speeds you should be downloading at.

*IS* that just testing normal connection speeds or via a news server source?
If it is the latter than im being told that i can get speeds of 2018kbps from them.

Of course if its just a normal speed tester then im wasting my time writing this :p