cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usenet traffic now stopped

N/A

I think I must have hit the 15g limit, and my traffic is now prioritised to nil.
Is this normal for the Bronze offering or has the traffic shaping gone mad.
Anyone recommed an ISP that doesnt throttle your traffic?
64 REPLIES
N/A

hi it goes to a level below bronze not sure what the call it yet but certainly slower than if it was in the bronze ,

thxs
N/A

Considering thiis carefully thought-out policy - proposed in an entirely different way last January - has been so hamfistedly implemented, is it surprising that this forum is bulging with queries and complaints from users of a service that was "hardly used by most subscribers"?
N/A

No surprise there then. Every_single_time PN implement something, they get it wrong. Amateurs I tell you!! It becomes more and more apparent that the right hand has absolutely no clue what the left hand is doing at this place.

Embarassing. Truly embarassing.
N/A

surprising that this forum is bulging with queries and complaints from users of a service that was "hardly used by most subscribers"?

That is true fairway2005, I hardly EVER visit this forum, only since Ellacoya rocked up and stuffed everything up, have I shown my face here to see if there was a problem other users were experiencing and guess what they WERE!!!!

Surely Plusnet can see this or they probably knew this would happen, but have a careless attitude and if the P2P users leave then good........and convert this whole ISP to a granny one.........sorry Granny..... :x
N/A

5k/second...

Pusnet have added a new level to Gold, Silver and Bronze, called TREACLE.
JonathanW
Grafter

Hi,

After the first 15GB of usenet traffic has been used, the service will be reduced, which will make it slower than the bronze queue. However, the speeds that customers are currently experiencing sound slow compared with the design, and as such we will be looking into this with our networks team.
N/A

Hi,

After the first 15GB of usenet traffic has been used, the service will be reduced, which will make it slower than the bronze queue. However, the speeds that customers are currently experiencing sound slow compared with the design, and as such we will be looking into this with our networks team.

jwhiting could you explain to me, or at least ask for me why after 15gb throttling is so extreme at off peak times as well. Plusnets reason for this new implementation is that users were complaining about slow Usenet speeds. Quite obviously this shouldn't be a problem at off peak as well. Can you ask them why they can't queue at bronze like before for off peak at least.
N/A

We're still waiting for PN to comment in another thread to explain what this new "Treacle" level consists of... early reports include sugar.

Seriously tho... BBrown was so evasive and unhelpful it doesnt inspire confidence.

If PN had chosen to promote 15Gb per month to Silver and that was all I would have stayed but they cannot be honest about what is going on. Yet again COMMS fails PN.
JonathanW
Grafter

It's intended to run slower due to the impact that this kind of bandwidth intensive traffic can have on the network. However, the speeds that people are currently seeing aren't intended, which is why its being investigated. Though at the moment there is no further information available.
N/A

Thanks for the reply, however that wasn't my question. I'm still curious as to how Usenet causes such a detrimental impact at off peak times, i mean that is the point of off-peak isn't it. The times when the network is least busy. If you could please answer my question

[Moderator's note by Mark (pcsni): Full quote of preceding post removed as it is unnecessary]
JonathanW
Grafter

Ah, I apologise for that then.

Its not just usenet that causes problems off-peak, its just that due to its nature usenet is the easiest to do something about, and its also something that people have been commenting on for a while. The whole thing is touched upon the in Plusnet 2006 Vision post.
N/A

That still doesn't explain why you didn't introduce a 15GB peak cap. Surely that would have been as easy to implement, and just as effective at reducing network congestion? The only logic I can see for a 15GB cap that makes no allowance for off-peak usage is that the real purpose of the cap is to drive heavy downloaders away to other ISPs (presumably because the SUP didn't remove as many of them as you'd hoped due to those pesky users "skirting" around the limits....)
N/A

Ah, I apologise for that then.

Its not just usenet that causes problems off-peak, its just that due to its nature usenet is the easiest to do something about, and its also something that people have been commenting on for a while. The whole thing is touched upon the in Plusnet 2006 Vision post.

Still doesn't answer my question. All you seem to be saying is

1) It's not just usenet that causes problems off-peak. So what causes problems off peak? If its off peak and the network is a lot less busy usenet shouldn't really be that much of a problem as it is during peak.

2) We really don't know how to fix it or we've got poor programmers/programmes, so we're just going to throttle usenet because it seems to be the only thing we're able to do. I wouldn't be surprised if you guys are running a giant sort of "netlimiter" with the instructions: If download >15gb , throttle to 3.5kb/s at all times until next month. Brilliant technology that.

However you are just comms, and i know its not your fault you have to give us these answer as you are instructed by your superiors. So i'm finding it hard to blame you as you are quite obviously restricted in what you can say. Thanks anyway!
N/A

Jon, just to follow on what nikura has said, just a question which is related to this topic.........but do the management, the people that make the decision regards Usenet and P2P, aware of all the complaints and slagging off on this forum.

If they do are the trying to allevaite the disgruntled customers?