cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usenet speeds again :-(

N/A

Whats going on with the speed today?? Down loading from usenet shows 2-5KB/s on an upto 8mb premier account, been trying to download a 7mb file since 11:45am its now 12:20pm (ie: OFF peak) and its still going Evil
I know you shape traffic but those sort of speeds are a joke
34 REPLIES
N/A

Wow your lucky! I'm getting 1KB/s. :twisted:

Currently trying to update headers from easynews and getting no where fast. It's been 'quite' good recently. What's going on?

Disconnecting and reconnecting doesn't help.

Currently getting 669.40kbps using plusnets checker.

Must be snow on the broadband lines Cheesy
Pathfinder
Grafter

Yes they have got even worse. Fucking awful in fact!

7.2KBps at the moment!
N/A

same here, but 22kbytes/sec woo yeah!

Also on premier1
Pathfinder
Grafter

Im on premier1 as well although I think calling the service "premier" may be stretching the meaning of the word!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

There's nothing wrong with Usenet at the moment. I've just queued 120MB and its coming down at around 750KBps (Astraweb , 30 connections, BNR3).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
paulgul
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Well I'm getting about 4kB/s from Giganews with BNR3 (admittedly only 5 connections)on a premier 1 account.

Paul

Moderators note by James (sallyandjames) : Removed full quote of previous post. : Link:rules
N/A

Useless here too. Tried at 6am and thought there must be a glitch somewhere and it would sort itself out. Came home for lunch and tried again - 9KBps spread over 10 connections.
Pathfinder
Grafter

There's nothing wrong with Usenet at the moment.

Well thats just fine and dandy for you isnt it. What about all of us?

Sheesh!
paulgul
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Looking at the gateway graphs there seems to be an increase in the gold and silver packets being dropped whilst the number of bronze packets being dropped is decreasing - a bit strange?

Paul
N/A

There's nothing wrong with Usenet at the moment. I've just queued 120MB and its coming down at around 750KBps (Astraweb , 30 connections, BNR3).

PAYG----------- seems that PAYG customers get a better deal (shaping wise) than premier customers, sort it out plusnet, i have sky/bt/ntl/vigin all q'ing up to offer me broadband, only reason i stuck around was cos of your 12am-4pm off peak deal that used to mean decent speeds apart from the busiest of times and almost bearable dl limits, now it seems that i can only achieve decent speeds for a couple of hours 2am-4am
N/A

over 2 hours for a 7mb file!!!!!! off peak to boot, just queue'd about 700mb in files, says 7 days to d'l with an average speed of 3KB/s over 6 connections, christ alive I'd be quicker doing via my mobile and GPRS.
Please try and sort it plusnet, my other half thinks im a bloody vampire as i can only use the pc after midnight :twisted:
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

seems that PAYG customers get a better deal (shaping wise) than premier customers

We don't get a "better deal", we get a different deal.

The amount we pay is directly related to how much we use - it's therefore in Plusnet's interest to give us the best speeds so that we use more and pay more.

The more that BB+ and Premier use, the less profitable it is for Plusnet, so as Dave has explained countless times, the total bandwidth available is directly related to the total payments. That means when there is high demand BB+ and Premier will slow down - regardless of any other shaping/prioritising.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

We don't get a "better deal", we get a different deal.

Can certainly vouch for that,but I would say a better deal as well.I have:within the last 45 minutes changed from Premier Option 2 to PAYG and to be honest speed wise the difference now at peak time is really outstanding given that I am on a fixed 2Meg connection.Must admit to having hesitated over it for a while, but having "bit the bullet" and done it..... my personal feeling is that it is definitely the way for me to go.

Thanks elvin for the heads up
Fixes: 115

My understanding was that PAYG (as per mobile phones) was origionally for people who did not want to be tied to a fixed fee each month paying for usage they may not require or, possibly, could not afford such a fee. Under this scheme PN would never be sure how much they would get from each account every month.

When I moved to Premiere (1) I did so because it implied I would get a 'Premiere' service and PN were guaranteed a set amount of £21.99 (now £29.99 on P2) each month for supplying it.

It seems to me that their game plan has considerably changed since those days. Personally I feel that those on fixed fees with a Premier product should get a better service than other products - but that's just my opinion based on my reasons for buying a Premiere (by name) product.

Regards

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still