cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usenet speed problem

N/A

Usenet speed problem

i have read various posts regarding new speed restrictions on things like p2p for plus accounts,but i am on premier can anyone tell me why i can get no fast than 50kb/sec on usenet when i have a 2mbit line. it seems to start off quickly enough but very quickly goes down as if it is being resticted.

anyone?
28 REPLIES
N/A

Usenet speed problem

What time of day?

What news host?

How many simultaneous downloads?
N/A

Usenet speed problem

was 29th august 9pm

usenet.plus.net

downloading header from a.b.vcd and a.b.svcd

articles as well
N/A

Usenet speed problem

Header downloads can be very slow even with a premium news server.

9pm is a busy time. You are unlikely to get full bandwidth then.

It also depends on how many simultaneous downloads you have going. Three or four is much better than one or two.
N/A

Usenet speed problem

PN have finally admitted that _all_ binary file transfers are being managed so despite their earlier protestations, usenet is included. But there's a helluva difference between the promised "extra 5mins" for a download and what they have actually done which is to restrict speeds by two/thirds - ie down from 210bps to 70kbps constantly for the last 2 weeks.

Simon
N/A

Usenet speed problem

PN have finally admitted that _all_ binary file transfers are being managed
Got a url for that please Simon?
N/A

Usenet speed problem

But there's a helluva difference between the promised "extra 5mins" for a download and what they have actually done which is to restrict speeds by two/thirds - ie down from 210bps to 70kbps constantly for the last 2 weeks.

Are you sure that's what they've done? I still receive 230+ kB/s on my 2Mbit line. What are you basing this information on?
N/A

Usenet speed problem

Simon, i do challenge that one.

Usenet has always been one of the biggest kickers. The slightest hints of problems, and people pile on the forums complaining about the service.

There have been very few complaints of late about the service, so I can only assume your problems are local or one of a kind. I certainly see relativly little slowdown in usenet.

I see speeds of between 140KB/s to 215KB/s, though a normal average of 190KB/s (I beleive the lower speeds may not be related to my exchange).
N/A

Usenet speed problem

I see speeds of between 140KB/s to 215KB/s, though a normal average of 190KB/s

Wow! That's pretty good going for a 1Mbit line. Smiley
N/A

Usenet speed problem

PN have finally admitted that _all_ binary file transfers are being managed
Got a url for that please Simon?

It says in the T&Cs:
6.1.1 The Broadband Internet access component of your account is based on a contended service. This policy contains guidelines on how you can use this Service. We manage our network using prioritisation techniques to ensure that during busy periods time sensitive applications such as VoIP, email, gaming and web browsing are given priority over bandwidth intensive, non-time-sensitive applications such as Peer-to-Peer (P2P) file sharing. Traffic shaping is used to a greater or lesser extent on all our Broadband Services.

Seems clear to me. Shaping applies to every darned service. Usenet is shaped. WWW downloads are shaped. Even sending/receiving binary files via email is shaped. And PN spokespeople here keep telling us that usenet isn't shaped. They should read their T&Cs.

Simon
N/A

Usenet speed problem

The underlined part means that shaping is applied on all accounts. What it's not saying is that ALL traffic is shaped in a negative way. I'm not saying that usenet traffic isn't affected - I'm sure it is - but what you're saying about things like WWW downloads being shaped simply isn't true.

Read the sentence before the underlined one:
We manage our network using prioritisation techniques to ensure that during busy periods time sensitive applications such as VoIP, email, gaming and web browsing are given priority over bandwidth intensive, non-time-sensitive applications such as Peer-to-Peer (P2P) file sharing.
N/A

Usenet speed problem

There have been very few complaints of late about the service, so I can only assume your problems are local or one of a kind. I certainly see relativly little slowdown in usenet.

Philip, firstly a number of people have been complaining on the forum over the past fortnight. Not a massive number but a sudden rash if you like, all using different news servers. My guess is that PN is selectively shaping chosen individuals hard (on what basis, I don't know - my own usenet traffic is low) and everyone else lightly. But see my post above - according to the T&Cs, everything is being shaped.

Second, this usenet speed reduction of mine has been sudden and very constant for the past fortnight, coinciding with all the other bandwidth conservation measures.

Third, my speed tests and my speeds via other services aren't down - apart from one or two bad days.

Fourth, my local exchange is always green lighted.

Fifth, I had this ticket response from my news provider on August 22:
From: "NH Support <support@newshosting.com>" <support@newshosting.com>
Subject: [PVH-73193]: Speed reduced from 200 to 70kbps for a week
To: sc@pr100.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: Speed reduced from 200 to 70kbps for a week
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello,

Newshosting is doing absolutely no throttling on your account.
Brent

Simon
N/A

Usenet speed problem

The underlined part means that shaping is applied on all accounts.

Actually it doesn't say "accounts" - it says on all services.

That, for once, is clear. Nothing escapes the grim reaper. And although standard e-mail traffic and web browsing may be protected, it looks almost certain that any heavy binary transfers whether via p2p, usenet, www or even email are going to be detected and shaped.

Simon
N/A

Usenet speed problem

Well I think that's something we'll just have to agree to disagree on - to me "Broadband Services" means the accounts sold by PlusNet. Certainly I haven't seen a reduction in things like HTTP transfers, even after performing tests with larger (100MB+) files.

However, I do agree that the paragraph is vague at best, which is probably intentional. But just because something is written in the Terms and Conditions, doesn't necessarily mean it's been implemented. The point of the document is to give PlusNet the option of implementing it in the future, should the need arise.
N/A

Usenet speed problem

I know how carefully the lawyers must go through every word of these documents. I also know the difference between "accounts" and "services". I don't think that there is any vagueness or ambiguity.

Moreover, it is in the current tense. It says that is is what PlusNet are doing - not what they might do in the future.

Simon