cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usenet resrictions

N/A

Usenet resrictions

I used to believe that F9 was one of the best ISP’s around; I’ve been with a few over the years finally staying with F9 in 2001 or thereabouts, but since the instigation of Usenet restrictions, and the attitude of ‘like it or leave’ the scale has turned, I will no longer be pointing people in their direction and am seriously looking to move.

Customer service and the needs of their long term more serious users is apparently no longer a priority.

If an ISP such Demon can operate without such restrictions why can’t F9?

I use Easynews for Usenet data, with a monthly limit of 20gigs, with any unused gigs carried over. My average usage would be within F9’s limit, but recently I tried to catch-up and use some of those gigs and I hit the restriction, your policy does not take into account the usage patterns of users such as myself. With limits as they are, I will never get full value for money.

As far as your customer service is concerned, many of your staff don’t know exactly how the policy is managed. One tells me the usage is reset on a calendar month, someone else on billing cycle. It took 3 people on one call to your help desk to find out it’s on billing cycle.

Finally, when my billing cycle came round, the usage meters were reset but apparently the restrictions to my service have to be lifted manually, currently I’m on a new billing cycle but still in the Bronze queue.

Get your act together F9 and look after your existing customers.
21 REPLIES
JonathanW
Grafter

Usenet resrictions

This isn't a hard restriction, as you can continue to download beyond the 20gb of fast usenet traffic during peak hours, though it will be slower. You can also download during the off peak hours at full speed, as there is no shaping in place.
N/A

Usenet resrictions

Im finding the whole SUP confusing, especially as its seems to be changing so frequently. However, I cannot complain too much as F9 seems to be listening to its customers and changing it for the better. Its certainly fairer than it was in November.

I see the following amendments detailed in the 'Vision for 2006' thread. http://portal.f9.net.uk/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6208
This is probably worth a read for everyone.

Note: The following was mentioned within it!

BROADBAND PREMIER:
From today the usage policies detailed below will come into affect on Usenet, P2P and FTP downloads during peak times. Usage levels will be reset on your billing date giving you new prioritised “download” allowance designed to speed up your usenet and P2P downloads during peak times.

The new larger allowances will replace the 15GB usenet allowance that was introduced in November, and the new allowances will run on a billing month rather than calendar month basis.
....<cut part of post>......
Silver - Non-time critical applications, particularly downloads using P2P, Usenet and FTP - Average at speed at up to 500kbps

Queue - Premier up to 2Mb - Premier up to 4Mb - Premier up to 8Mb
Gold on-peak downloads - 0-20GB - 0-30GB - 0-40GB
Silver on-peak downloads - 20-25GB - 30-35GB - 40-45GB
Bronze on-peak downloads - 25GB+ - 35GB+ - 45GB+

Question:Am I correct in saying that if I had, eg. Premier 4mb,
1.) I would have a total for 30-35gb download (including usenet at silver) during peak times?
2.) If I exceeded my limit, usenet would be a bronze during peek time, but back to silver off peak?
3.) All restrictions would be reset at the end of the billing month?

if someone could reply to the above I would appreciate this.

Also as kinghorns mentions, some ISP's are currently not imposing any limits. With the introduction of far greater download speeds, (512kb was probably the norm 1 year ago. Now were looking at 4-8mb coming up) I cannot see any ISP maintaining a non restrictive service and still stay in business.
I have seen that F9 have listenened to its customers since introducing the SUP in November? (It took quite a bit of negotiating) but at least the final outcome seems reasonable.
After giving in to the inevertable, Im happier to stay with an ISP with a reasonable SUP policy which will also listen to its customers, rather than an ISP who will suddenly impose a strict limit (such as NTL when I was with them) and not budge.
These last few months have been a learning curve for F9 and I feel they have learnt to listen, and hopefully now publicise change. Its a shame it has taken so much complaining by us customers to get the message across.
However F9. You seem to be getting there... Now amend the SUP guide and let us know how the usenet restrictions work. :lol:
JonathanW
Grafter

Usenet resrictions

1.) I would have a total for 30-35gb download (including usenet at silver) during peak times?
2.) If I exceeded my limit, usenet would be a bronze during peek time, but back to silver off peak?

1) You'd have 30gb in gold and then another 5gb in silver before it drops down to bronze for on-peak downloads.

2) During off peak it should run as fast as possible, as there's no rate limit in place.

3) That's correct.
N/A

Usenet resrictions

Appreciate you clearing that up.

Regards,
Mike.
lorisarvendu
Grafter

Usenet resrictions

1) You'd have 30gb in gold and then another 5gb in silver before it drops down to bronze for on-peak downloads.

2) During off peak it should run as fast as possible, as there's no rate limit in place.

3) That's correct.

Can I point out a flaw in this rationale? I browse usenet to read posts. I can't do this during off-peak hours because I leave the house for work at 7:30am (half an hour before your peak hours finish), and get back at 6pm (after the "other" peak time has started). As other posters have pointed out, we can't even download headers during peak time. So effectively until my next billing date (14th) I can't access usenet. Is this correct?
A tortoise? What's that?
You know what a turtle is? Same thing.
N/A

Usenet resrictions

lorisarvendu,
I take it you have exceeded your monthly usage allowance during peak time and are now in the "Bronze" catagory for the remainder of the month?
When the SUP was introduced in November and Usenet was classed at "Bronze" by default, I remember this as being rather slow. It wasn't completely unusable though. I read somewhere that it should actually be faster than Novembers bronze speed now.
If you nolonger have usenet access during peak times, perhaps F9 can clarify the problem as im led to believe that Bronze allows usenet to remain "Functional".
lorisarvendu
Grafter

Usenet resrictions

lorisarvendu,
I take it you have exceeded your monthly usage allowance during peak time and are now in the "Bronze" catagory for the remainder of the month?
When the SUP was introduced in November and Usenet was classed at "Bronze" by default, I remember this as being rather slow. It wasn't completely unusable though. I read somewhere that it should actually be faster than Novembers bronze speed now.
If you nolonger have usenet access during peak times, perhaps F9 can clarify the problem as im led to believe that Bronze allows usenet to remain "Functional".

Well, if my monthly usage allowance during peak time was 4Gb, then yes I have exceeded it.
A tortoise? What's that?
N/A

Usenet resrictions

Your well inside the usage levels. What account type do you have?

The problem you have is not with the SUP limits but perhaps with something else. If you continually exceeded your quota's, F9 may have placed 24/7 management indefinitely on your account. You should have been notified if this was happening though.

See SUP guide for details of download limits and F9 action.
http://www.f9.net.uk/support/broadband/network/sustainable_usage_guide.shtml?link=suptop5_general4

I suggest open a ticket with F9 about your speed issues as this is not normal. Do you get fast access outside peak hours?
ukbrown
Grafter

Usenet resrictions

Usenet speeds are still totally rubbish, I have just started my billing period and am only getting and average download speed of ZERO (over several hours). Before my billing period ended my usenet experience was pretty much OK

What the vision for 2006 says about the 20GB limit and what is happening do not match up at all.

Writing something and implementing what it says appears to be very difficult for F9. Thing is the customer support line believe what the documentation says and we have to prove otherwise.

Have raised a contact us ticket which has sat in the queue for 15 hours now.
N/A

Usenet resrictions

I take it your on Premier 2mb, so would have:
20GB Gold (true speed), 5GB Silver (Upto 500kbps) then bronze (Upto 250kbps) for Peaktime usage.
If you use usenet\P2P a lot, you'd expect the speed to increase after the billing date, not reduce to ZERO.

Let us know how you get on. It seems your not the only one to experience a reduction in speed peaktime for no apparent reason.
ukbrown
Grafter

Usenet resrictions

I am on premier and this morning at 7am usenet speeds were upto 180k, I will try again when I get home and update, if it has gone slow again then this pretty much points to the problem being time based, with the inference that either a lot of poeple are using usenet or I am being throttled.
lorisarvendu
Grafter

Usenet resrictions

I take it your on Premier 2mb, so would have:
20GB Gold (true speed), 5GB Silver (Upto 500kbps) then bronze (Upto 250kbps) for Peaktime usage.
If you use usenet\P2P a lot, you'd expect the speed to increase after the billing date, not reduce to ZERO.

Let us know how you get on. It seems your not the only one to experience a reduction in speed peaktime for no apparent reason.

250kbps equates to about 31kB/s, which is similar to what I have seen before. I have been with F9 for about 6months (I think), and have tended to max at about 35Gb total per month, with no more than 5Gb during "peak" time (whenever that is now!).

This is not through any conscious effort of my own, but is my general level of Internet Usage (I have been on ADSL since 2002) and really doesn't change much. I use remote terminals to my PC, so can generally pick up mails and schedule big downloads (yes, linux ISOs, really, I am an IT Technician) during the day whilst I'm at work. Hence low peak usage.

Since I do more or less live on forums & Usenet, I can now see how I would generally always be on bronze level for the last 10Gb or so of the month, and looking back I have seen Usenet speeds diminish at certain times of the month. I understood that bandwidth usage was reset every billing date (14th for me) but USenet/Ftp 15Gb allowance was reset every 1st of month. This would explain why Usenet speeds go slower towards the end of the calendar month.

Today I have been off sick and have experimented. Sure enough, I am getting the theoretical 250kbps during off-peak (before 8am, and after 12 noon). However, DURING peak (like other people) I am getting zero. Really. Clients are unable to complete downloading headers, so even if I wanted to ensure I was downloading off-peak...there's no way I could queue anything up, because I can't get the headers!

So although when you're on bronze you can d/l during off-peak, if the only time you can "queue" anything up is on-peak...there's no way you can do it.

I can accept now that my Usenet has been restricted to 250kbps. But it would appear that Usenet has been throttled far lower than this (to the point of unusability) during "peak" hours (8pm-12 and 8am to 12). How else to explain the fact that it work out of peak (to the advertised bronze speed), but not in peak?
A tortoise? What's that?
ukbrown
Grafter

It's not too bad now

Strangely, at 5:35pm I was downloading at 185K and just now at 19:35 at 100K this is more than usable, but I have changed nothing to get this new speed. I can as most people will accept a usable usenet service, 30+K/s is more than usable. Just cannot cope with the massive daily variations that do not even show up as amber on the status page.

Just cannot cope with massive change for no reason
madbanana
Grafter

Usenet resrictions

To add my little bit ..... I'm on 2 meg Premier and have the superfast speed of 0.02K at this moment.

I am probably well over my usenet 'allowance' for the month as I've had downloads of around 50meg, so I accept some throttling - but at this speed it is totally unusable.

Over Christmas I was getting full speed, seems a bit all or nothing - I can't determine if it is a fault or throttling (etc) - the latter to me seems more likly.