cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usenet recent slowdown!

N/A

Usenet recent slowdown!

I migrated my account to Force 9 a couple of months ago, and all was fine. I maintained my 2 MB connection and the Force 9 News server's retention was fairly good.

Then a couple of weeks ago, Usenet slowed down to a crawl! I can no longer obtain full posts, because the connection goes so slow that some of the required files have gone before I can get the complete set. This makes Usenet completely pointless, not to say incredibly frustrating.

My internet / email connection still goes at full speed, it is just Usenet that has slowed. I'm told that this is due to Force9 introducing a Quality Of Service system that restricts Usenet and P2P connections in order to guarantee internet bandwidth. This would be fine if it only operated at busy times, but the cap seems permanent. I've left Usenet running all night with DU Meter monitoring the speed and it doesn't get any quicker!

This seems like a cheap trick to try and get me to pay an extra £7 per month for a Premier account.

Has anyone else noticed the slow down?

Roy
5 REPLIES
N/A

Usenet recent slowdown!

I follow the plusnet.service.customer-feedback group as well as this forum. In recent weeks there have been many complaints about newsgroup retention, speeds and reader issues amongst other things. You may be better off subscribing to that group and finding out what is going on there. This is the first post I have seen recently on F9 complaining about usenet and the groups I subscribe to all complete relatively quickly, so no problems here.

Regards

Mark
N/A

Usenet recent slowdown!

I agree with the content of the first post - as a new f9 customer i am afraid to say that i am dissapointed with the 'capping' of p2p and legal bit torrent download speeds to 10kb/sec at ALL TIMES. this is only utilising 1/20 of my line's possible speed - something i am not very happy about.

F9 state that this is only at peak times, but this simply isnt' the case
N/A

Usenet recent slowdown!

This post assumes you are on bband plus!!! Smiley

I dont know how plus was sold to you but BB plus is definately not for a lot of newsgroup or p2p access, these services are heavily throttled on plus which is one of the main reasons why its £7 less. However saying that they have started to throttle premier too, and not what it used to be (even in June!) by any means for the odd stuff I get on p2p.

Guessing that you were just lucky the first few weeks you had it, but there has been a definate drop in service lately (i'm on premier), and the brunt of the hit is going to be plus on p2p/newsgroups because of the way its prioritised.

Just adding my bit :roll:
N/A

Usenet recent slowdown!

I've been BB+ since migrating back. I only use a few newsgroups which don't seem to be affected. Even on my most heaviest month, I have only used just over 3GB of data (bandwidth whatever they want to call it) and most months it is only just over 1GB, so you can see, I am a big strain on resources :!: :!: :!:

Again, it is because since inception, broadband has been sold as "always on". ISP's have gained customers through promising 24/7 connections if you so wanted, they then over expand their network and start reneging on their advertising.

I realise that F9/ +Net have to evolve but their PR skills are total cr*p. Look at the debacle over the FUP and all the way back to the 2 hour disconnections on Connect Lite, plus if I cared to trawl around there would be others. The amount of user sessions shouldn't really be an issue with BB+ accounts as there are 20 more people sharing the connection at +Net's end than there are on Premier, thus although paying less per month, more revenue is being generated on these accounts because of the increased contention.

The response from CS has been a joke. Most of the responses to the criticism have been made on external forums, which presumably quite a few customers don't know about. Those that do, have their noses put out of joint even more when you see CS justifying the proposal to outsiders who aren't even customers, then totally ignoring the "official" forums and newsgroups.

The proposal made on the +Net newsgroup was a way of taking this debate forward, and although Dave did answer the post (presumably you have been on holiday Dave as it has been like a morgue around here lately), the new t&C's have been sent today (a bank holiday weekend). Networks won't be in 'til Tuesday and there will be a million other things more important to do than try to come to a sensible conclusion to appease a few measley customers. It might get looked at Thursday or Friday, the new conditions come in the next day and it will get thrown out.

There will be a lot of people wondering why so many are complaining. As a light user, I disconnect on a regular basis anyway. The fact is, I like to keep the connection active when I am at home because there are times when you need to just quickly do something. My connection can be problematic at the best of times, sometimes taking three attempts to connect, not sure what is wrong with the authentication, but hey! Just remember though, that Premier customers were told categorically that there would be no traffic shaping on their accounts. Guess what? Less than 3 months down the road from that announcement your accounts are being throttled.

Mark
(It's times like this we could do with having Task back. I used to enjoy the lively discussions Cheesy )
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Usenet recent slowdown!

Hi,

Large P2P or binary newsgroup downloads aren't suitable on Broadband Plus, the account wasn't designed for this type of usage.
Unlike the old Home Surf account we decided against blocking P2P and usenet full stop but instead allocate an amount of bandwidth for use. The amount of bandwidth is finite and when used up customers on Broadband Plus will see a slowdown in P2P and Usenet downloads.
What constitutes busy times though is when our customers use their connections, and as far as P2P/Usenet use on Broadband Plus is concerned this seems to be fairly constant throughout the day and night. We do allocate more bandwidth for P2P overnight, but it's quickly used up.

Mark, yeah I have been on holiday, got back on Friday. Has Ben not been about? And yeah, I too would like to see Task return.