cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usenet - poor speeds?

N/A

Usenet - poor speeds?

is my bandwidth being so called managed or have speeds recently dropped?

i moved to plusnet 1mb premier from 512kb claranet, i have had many dropped connections, which were really bad last weekend, and my speeds while using usenet via plusnet are really slow, averaging about 0-45k/sec, then sometimes they go upto 90-120k/sec, never had this speed dropping problem with my old isp, why is it happening now? I have been using the plusnet news server and I use giganews euro server, and both seem to have the same speed up and down..

the plusnet speed tester webpage still shows 950kbps/256up etc, but that is not usenet is it?

it just seems as if my 1mb plusnet connection is substandard, also i have noticed when uploading, i can barely browse websites as the speed is soo slow..

can anybody tell me this is normal for plusnet or do i have tech problems? lol
11 REPLIES
N/A

Usenet - poor speeds?

forgot to mention my monthly usage, so far iam half way into month and i have used only 30gb, iam not a very heavy downloader.. average 50gb per month if that
N/A

Usenet - poor speeds?

Yep usenet is "de-prioritised" at peak times welcome to plusnet Sad
munsy
Grafter

Usenet - poor speeds?

Rogue traders comes to mind, they suck you in and leave you in the learch. Demon seem to be the best option at the moment, get out when you can.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Usenet - poor speeds?

Hi,

I can get 230+KB/s from our Usenet servers pretty much any time I want. What client are you using and how many connections have you set up to the Usenet server. If you just have one connection or it's just headers then that could be the cause. Try increasing connections and see if that makes a difference.
N/A

Usenet - poor speeds?

In my case I use newsleecher and use four connections to your servers and four to giganews, I can also use usenetserver as well but it makes no difference.

Off peak I can max out my connection with just one connection to giganews.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Usenet - poor speeds?

Have you tried the BT Speedtester

http://usertools.force9.net/tutorials/id/27

when the speeds are slower to see if there's a general slow down on your connection?
N/A

Usenet - poor speeds?

No because of the amount of reconfiguring it would require, but when I get slowdown on usenet I can still download from HTTP at full speed and get full speeds from any of the other speed testers I've tried including plusnets, so I don't think the BT speed test would be of any benefit.
N/A

Usenet - poor speeds?

i use newsbin pro with 3 max connection, odd times use 4 connections, with giganews, claranet was my previous isp for 3 years and never had up/down speeds.. to me it just doesnt feel right even tho i have gone from 512kb with claranet to 1mb plusnet... also with reading the new T&C's, and these forums it dont sound too good, i came to plusnet for a total unlimited service as the website stated...
N/A

Usenet - poor speeds?

PN did not offer a totally unlimited service when you joined.
N/A

Usenet - poor speeds?

somewhere i read that the 2mb premier was unlimited(silly me).. anyhow, im sorted now... requested mac code.. btw i signed up a couple of weeks before the new T&Cs..
PN should be selling a capped, traffic shaped service, not unlimited....
@ £21.99 you get what you pay for...
N/A

Usenet - poor speeds?

Hi,

I can get 230+KB/s from our Usenet servers pretty much any time I want. What client are you using and how many connections have you set up to the Usenet server. If you just have one connection or it's just headers then that could be the cause. Try increasing connections and see if that makes a difference.

22.49pm

downloading articles& headers @ 32kB/sec on a 2mbit premier account. OK maybe peak time but it should not be contended this much.

bt speedtester

The speed test has completed on test server speedtester2.nat.bt.com for user 01259xxxxx and you have downloaded a 1.7Mb file at a speed of

1909 kilo bits per second (Kbps), your service bandwidth will have been quoted to you in kilo bits per second.

Your IP address is xxxxxxxxxxxx, your browser is reported as being Mozilla 5.0 and is running on Windows XP.

BT would regard the speed ranges shown below as normal service:

For 250kbps End Users speeds between 50 - 250kbps.
For 500kbps End Users speeds between 100 - 500kbps.
For 1000kbps End Users speeds between 200 - 1000kbps.
For 2000kbps End Users speeds between 400 - 2000kbps.