cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usenet - new platform

Len
Grafter

Usenet - new platform

Just tried the newsgroups for first time since the change announced yesterday.
Much faster now compared to what I was getting before.
So long as it keeps this speed I will be very pleased!

:lol: Len
6 REPLIES
Ianwild
Grafter

Usenet - new platform

Hi Len,

Thanks for your feedback. The new Usenet platform was a major target for the networks team in the last quarter and although we are aware of a few problems with higher speed broadband users not maxing their connections, things are looking good so far. I would be interested in what others think, especially if they have knowledge of other news servers and can offer a comparison.

Regards,

Ian
N/A

Usenet - new platform

Happy to oblige Ian!

Lets look at another uk based newsserver news.claranews.com.

Claranews like plusnet offer free unlimited newsgroup access to their subscribers. They also offer premium access to non-subscribers like myself.

Performance is a hit and miss.somedays all is fine,others plagued with problems.

Retention for binaries is 3-4 days and their completion can be from 90% +

Speed is capped at 60KB/s at a max of 3 connections.

Now onto plusnet Cheesy usenet.plus.net

Retention for binaries some groups are 3-4 days others are 7 days which they are striving for .

Completion is varied from 90% +

Max connections i.ve found to be 4 and apparently are not capped. Speed is varied, i can max out my 1mb over 2 connections but the highest i've seen on 1 connection is around 70-75KB/s on downloading articles. Downloading headers is a different story sometimes it will not get faster than 35KB/s.

pardon my ignorance but if there are speed problems wouldn't it affect both on headers and articles!!

To sum up

Even before the new plusnet platform went live i cancelled my claranews account because of the constant problems. For a premium it just wasn't worth it!

In my opinion plusnet offer a superb service and with added newsgroup access like this(speed issue could be resolved Sad ) built into their subscribtion then i'm sure that most people will be Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
N/A

Usenet - new platform

Being on dialup using text-only the increase in speed is brilliant. Thanks PlusNet.
N/A

Agreed - very good

Amazing stuff. I'm new to binary usenet, but it is great.

I am concerned about how it will perform in the future, as people learn about it's existence and migrate over to it.... at the moment, how many of us are using it!?

Just got to buy that ipod now...
jberry
Grafter

Usenet - new platform

Hi there,

It is hard to say how many people use the service since some people will just use text groups and the server could support vast number of people if binaries were not in the equasion (and you cannnot easily split the figures).

Suffice to say, when we were testing before launch we had the servers open to everyone (i.e. not restricted to our customers) and had something in the region of 2 times the number of customer we normally see connected on one reader (and we have 4 readers) so there is a plenty of growth available. Added to this is the scalability of the platform - since we can just plug in additional readers if they become overloaded.

Regards,
Ianwild
Grafter

Usenet - new platform

There are currently on average, around 200 people connected to the Usenet servers at any peak time. We reckon about 1000 unique customers currently log into Usenet more than once a week.

The Reader servers seem to support about 250 user sessions each (Although it depends a lot on how they are configured). The beauty of the new setup is that if we need to add a new reader (to service an increase in customers using Usenet), it is simply a case of copying the data from an existing reader onto a new machine, which doesn't take that long. That means we can respond very quickly to any requirement for an upgrade!

Regards,

Ian