cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usenet header download verry slow & erratic

N/A

Just discovered that we have a new server after coming to the service status page to see if there was a problem.
Yesterday seemed normal but today header dowload is varying wildly from full speed, 45k+, down to 2k. It hammers away for a while then slows right down then speeds up etc. Overall I would say the average header download is less than a 1/4 of what it normally was. On some of the groups with more messages its even worse - I estimate it could take hours to download some of them.
However, on the good side there do seem to be many more complete posts than I have seen before - well done on that!

Is this just a teething problem ?

BTW Using Newsbin

Rod
16 REPLIES
lhorwath
Grafter

Hi Rod,

Have noticed a couple of posts last night regarding this, but you are the only one I've seen today. I will raise all the issues mentioned to Ben (who is looking after the news server) and get hime to investigate further.

kind regards

Luke
N/A

Hi Rod,

Have noticed a couple of posts last night regarding this, but you are the only one I've seen today. I will raise all the issues mentioned to Ben (who is looking after the news server) and get hime to investigate further.

kind regards

Luke

Thanks for the response.

I have just tried d/l a couple of files and the same speed phenomina manifest with that.

Rod
N/A

lhorwath
Grafter

Thanks for that Penalt,

I've raised this to the network team now.

Sorry, just to add, can anyone experiencing issues, please post here and specifiy the exact problem and any details obtained. ie is it bodies or headers where the delay occures etc...

kind regards

Luke
N/A

I'm getting the same thing. Headers are incredibly slow, but bodies seem to be alright-ish (though I'm only looking at text articles, and they are still slower than normal).

Also, my news reader seems to think I've already read all the new articles it's downloading, which is a little odd. Have the article numbers been reset or something?
N/A

Also, my news reader seems to think I've already read all the new articles it's downloading, which is a little odd. Have the article numbers been reset or something?

Yes, it's a new server and it's been collecting its own articles for a couple of weeks.
N/A

Not sure how relevant this is, but have just been able to access the 'beta' server (which had been giving 'server not found' messages all morning) and the groups which had failed to download new headers are doing so on that server - VERY slowly.
N/A

See this thread in the beta forum http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16708
It was reported and never resolved that header downloads were slow and news downloads were faster but stop and start.

Looks like a rush to get the server live
N/A

I'm finding header downloads painfully slow (less than 5KBps) also there is a lag and sometimes of up to 30 seconds stall when getting bodies. I'm on ADSL 512..
--
Paul
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

I just want to check something, have you recreated your news profile in your news client? Or tried a different client as a comparrison. Only ask because I've had to recreate my settings in Opera in order to get any decent sort of response from the new servers.
N/A

I've just tried creating a new profile in Xnews for the server, but it doesn't seem to have helped. Even getting the group list is incredibly slow. It's got 500 groups so far, and it's been going for about a minute. It'll be some time before it gets all 40,000 or so.
N/A

Hi,

I just want to check something, have you recreated your news profile in your news client? Or tried a different client as a comparrison. Only ask because I've had to recreate my settings in Opera in order to get any decent sort of response from the new servers.

I've recreated my news profile in Xnews but that doesn't change anything...downloading headers at speeds of 0.4-5KB/s. :twisted: Hopefully this problem will be sorted soon though.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Luke's in the process of making a service status announcement regarding this. It looks as though there is an issue with the RAID arrays on the readers. We're going to take each one out of service in turn and fix the issue, one tonight and one tomorrow I think. Look out for the announcement.
N/A

I just realised the Beta News Server is working fine...or at least it seems to be as I'm downloading headers at 50+KB/s. Guess I'll carry on using this for a while... :twisted: