cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usenet difficulties

N/A

Usenet difficulties

Getting a bit fed up now with this little game F9 are playing with the newsgroups. I have seen many posts over the last few months about how poor the newsgroup service is but it has never affected me and my text only groups.

This is the third night running that I have had time outs from the news server (news.force9.net). When are the problems going to be finally sorted once and for all? If you aren't going to do anything, why not just withdraw the service as it is pretty much unusable in its current form. Evil

Mark
6 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Usenet difficulties

Hi Mark,

I posted this the other day in the p.s.c-f

The details of the changes we are making to Usenet have now been signed off and work has already begun.

If you remember back a few months we announced our intention to set a 15GB limit on Usenet, the work to set this up has begun and once ready we will be able to move
traffic to our Usenet platform into the silver traffic queue for Premier accounts (and equivalent legacy accounts) in the same way we've already done for Broadband
PAYG/Lite accounts.

This will give a greatly improved Usenet service to our customers with the much improved speeds available to our servers at peak times.

At the moment I don't have a timescale, but will post this as soon as I do.
N/A

Usenet difficulties

But that doesn't solve the problems that have only become apparent over the last few days, and again tonight. The service is unusable. I subscribe to 7 text only newsgroups, three of which are +Net/ F9 groups and two of them are dead! I probably only see a maximum of 150- 200 headers per day. I started polling the groups when I began writing this reply and still only one of them has been polled.

This is not acceptable, usenet was originally a priority in the big scheme of things, suddenly it has become "bronze" whatever that means. What has happened in the last few days?

Three time outs since writing this now and still nly one folder with headers, let alone bodies :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Usenet difficulties

All text groups will be moved to the silver queue soon which will improve the performance considerably.
N/A

Usenet difficulties

But from what I have seen, it is text groups on external sources only, will theF9 server also benefit? Also, is it only Premier customers who will benefit from the "silver" shaping or do we benefit from it on + too?

Text newsgroups by their very nature use less bandwidth than receiving an email with large attachments, yet email is in the "gold" queue. Some sort of disparity there I think.

I notice posters on the +Net newsgroup are posting groups known to be text only. Is this a requirement to ensure my groups are put in the correct priority?

Regards

Mark
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Usenet difficulties

Our text services will also be moved to silver and will benefit from the changes.
N/A

Usenet difficulties

Also, is it only Premier customers who will benefit from the "silver" shaping or do we benefit from it on + too?

You missed this one!!

Thanks