cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usenet dead again...

N/A

Usenet dead again...

Seems like Usenet is back to its old tricks again... my newsreader says 33 hours to update the headers for 1 group. Any possibility this is a known issue that plusnet are working on? or am I just being punished again for using my connection?
30 REPLIES
N/A

Usenet dead again...

Yeah, also getting ridiculously slow speeds today, afaik I've been jumping through all the hoops like a good dog... :x

What is the monthly usenet allowance? Is there any way for us to check how much we have used through the member portal?
dancecrave
Grafter

Usenet dead again...

or am I just being punished again for using my connection?

LOL yep that again. How dare we use our connections. Baaaad users...

There are so many threads on this now. Usenet P2P and FTP all count together and are treated differently to others. On premier its 20G / month before you're clobbered but the "view my usage" stats you get in the portal do NOT yet show this counter so it's stick your finger in the air till they can finish coding it.

It looks to me that usenet is dead but I am pretty sure its down to throttling. My p2p runs at a healthy (!) 1.6kBps :\ My FTP dies before retrieving the headers. Yet standard http flies at full speed.

My usage for this month is 700M off peak and 2M peak!!

I'd like to now why the VMU stats were not updated before the policy was put in place Evil

Al
N/A

Usenet dead again...

I personally have no objection to a level of throttling on p2p

But certainaly not 99.9% (2M down to 2K)
markweaver
Grafter

Im not happy!!

I have paid for newsgroup access with astraweb.

In the past 8 hours I have managed to download 70meg.!!!

All speed test check out at full speed!

Im furious!!!

My peak time usage so far this month is.... 18gig.

I want it sorted and sorted now or come monday im requesting my MAC key.

Iam sick and tired of finding the limits being changed when I vistit the forums and not being told about it via email!!

In the current situation I will happily pay more at another ISP!

M
markweaver
Grafter

Usenet dead again...

Its 1:05am and im getting 0k download rate from newsgroups!

You have to be kidding me.!!

Im gone..!!! Evil
N/A

Usenet dead again...

You should be grateful you at least have a connection to moan about - :mrgreen:
N/A

having a giraffe

Surely 2am is "off peak" ? I am getting 12k/s on p2p and usenet, which is the best I've had all week. Usenet has been crawling from 0-4k and I'm only on 13Gb of peak time usage. My bandwidth speed test says I can download at 240.39K/s - I seem to be getting exactly 5% of that, and 1% of it during the day. Is someone standing on a wire somewhere? Perhaps I should only be paying 5% of my bill this month then?
markweaver
Grafter

!

Its now 3:16.

My download rate is jumping from 45KBps to 110KBps randomly.

Its all over the place! What the hell is going on?!!

Get this sorted plusnet!! I work in the industry and you are fu*ki*n*g up with your configuration somewhere!!
N/A

Usenet dead again...

been away for a while but just tried usenet again and Newsleecher still times out trying to read headers... Just spoke to plusnet and its going to cost me £72 to leave because I took the defered activation and "free" modem Sad

Didnt even need the modem but the guy on the phone said I might aswell take it as a backup because it wouldnt cost me anything... now I find out its going to cost me £25 for something thats been sitting in its box for the last 4 months Sad

not a happy camper...
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Usenet dead again...

I've just tried downloading a test binary from our usenet servers and it's coming down at over 200 kB/s.

How much have you all used so far this month?
N/A

how much used?

Well thats just the thing isnt it? with the 2 different sets of peak times and all the other confusing rules that need to be considered there is no real way of knowing how much of our "allowance" we have used up... The VMBU number for my peak usage is 19.13Gb but that doesnt help much does it? Sad

Most of my usage occurs between 5pm and midnight (when I'm at home to use it). I do sometimes leave big downloads on through the night but with my computer being in my bedroom its a bit too noisy to do too often. Smiley
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Usenet dead again...

At the moment Peak usage shown in VMBU is from 4pm - 12 midnight however the "peak-time" for the network management is 8am - midnight so it's likely that you have gone over the 20GB clean allowance, and so usenet and P2P is slowed down.
N/A

Usenet dead again...

slowed down to 0.1k/sec? thats what its been reporting before it times out...

I'm not meaning this as a dig at you or at plusnet (although I am ready to leave because of all the shaping and changes that are made without informing anyone) I just dont understand how shaping could be making it go THIS slow?
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Usenet dead again...

It shouldn't do. Whish server are you using for usenet?