cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usenet, but not on Broadband Plus??

N/A

I've made a complaint about extremely slow delivery of anything from the usenet.plus.net newserver, and news.astraweb.com. Upon thier reply they updated the ticket as:
INTERNAL: Please investigate further. EU not on SUP and usage not hit 8Gb yet.

They have now actioned that with:
"Unfortunately the account you are using is not designed for downloading on Usenet. if you would like to use those services then i would suggest upgrading to the Broadband premier account as this will allow those services to work."

I'm disgusted with this as I'm not a heavy user -maybe a song a day - when it worked and now they say that's too much. Thier product specification clearly has a tick next to usenet use, one of the things that drew me to PlusNet in the first place.

If I upgraded to Premier would the lightning speeds and downloads that I used to have be reinstated?Huh
9 REPLIES
N/A

You will max out your line for the first 15gb. After that its normally full speed midnight til 8am and 30KB\s at all other times. In short, if you use lightly you will probably get full speed at all timesSmiley
N/A

You will max out your line for the first 15gb.

INTERNAL: Please investigate further. EU not on SUP and usage not hit 8Gb yet.

(My emphasis)

Looks like this is an issue with BB+ not with the SUP or Usenet 'softcap', unless the OP's billing month is such that in the period from 1st Nov - billing point they used more than 7GB, I suppose (assume the CS rep really meant bytes not bits).

Does the BB+ info on PlusNet's site really have a tick next to Usenet?

regards

Stuart
N/A

Does the BB+ info on PlusNet's site really have a tick next to Usenet?

I suppose PlusNet should perhaps reconsider this phrasing this on the Product Specification tab of the BB+ information page.

Communication
With unlimited email addresses, Webmail and access to thousands of newsgroups you can stay in touch with the people who matter.

That could be interpreted as unlimited access to newsgroups, though I doubt it is meant. I couldn't find anything, admittedly on a very quick browse, that mentioned unsuitability for Usenet up to the ordering stage (don't want to go futher at the risk of changing my account Wink ).

regards

Stuart
N/A

Sorry Stuart, didn't make myself clear. Was explaining what would happen if you upgraded to premier. The comms guys have said many times that BB+ is 'not designed' for Usenet binaries or P2P (virtually useless from my previous experience). If you want anything like decent speeds on those then you need to change to Premier or Pay as you go.
theharveyfamily
Grafter

N/A

Sorry Stuart, didn't make myself clear. Was explaining what would happen if you upgraded to premier.

Nah - my bad - clear enough on rereading Smiley

The comms guys have said many times that BB+ is 'not designed' for Usenet binaries or P2P (virtually useless from my previous experience). If you want anything like decent speeds on those then you need to change to Premier or Pay as you go.

True, but by their own admission, very few customers come onto the forum and it isn't an official support channel - how many customers would see their comments?

As theharveyfamily said, it is in the BB+ FAQs, so why is the 'more info' page (the one a potential subscriber is more likely to read, I believe) unclear, there is no need - it just strikes me the phrasing needs rewording?

regards

Stuart
Wheelie
Grafter

Actually if you look at the the Broadband Plus description page it does tell you on the Product Usage Tab That

Broadband Plus is not suitable for data-intensive applications such as file-sharing and large downloads. If you want to use these applications, take a look at Broadband Premier or Broadband Pay As You Go

As far as I can remember its always said that.
N/A

Thank you all for your replies. There is a tick next to the access to newsgroups http://www.plus.net/residential/broadband/broadband_home_features.shtml

Now I'm not downloading 24 hours a day, My total usage at Astraweb has only been 12.63GB in over a year so I wouldn't call that data intensive or a heavy download. PN have merely pointed me out to the sales pages and put two fingers up to me.

So, given that I've only used just over 2GB a month would a Premier account give me back fast downloads and more to the point what reddress would I have should they fail to provide the speeds I'm used to?
Wheelie
Grafter

@ easyride

The problem with the newsgroups is there are two types text and binary and I think they should tell people that on the features page as I am guessing they mean text newsgroups for BB+ :?:

Yes if you changed to Premier you would get full speed unless as has been mentioned you go over 15GB in a calender month which from what you are saying will not happen.