cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usenet being throttled

N/A

Usenet being throttled

I've been trying to download an 800mb file from Usenet all day but the speeds are being really throttled by PN. It's now 11.50pm and I'm still only able to get 70kb/s, earlier it was 40-50kb/s and this is on a line capable of 820-830kb/s

I'm sick and tired of having to come onto these forums to complain and read about speed issues to what really amounts to an unsatisfactory and shoddy service. I used to get better speeds on Usenet during the day when I was on a 2MB connection, and as I have two different external Usenet providers the fault lies with PN.

The support staff on here try their best and are generally helpful it doesn't disguise the fact that the internet service we are getting is far far below what we should expect. I should have left last month, I had my MAC but the service improved slightly but now it seems we are back to square one and worse. I'm getting my MAC and will definitely being leaving this time even if the service does improve slightly. You've have enough chances PN to get it right but it seems that whatever you do to the network you are unable to provide any long term solution. Maybe the word INVESTMENT means something to you, or more probably the case not.
10 REPLIES
N/A

Usenet being throttled

Ditto to what you've said, I've already requested my MAC tonight as I've lost all patience now waiting to see if they'll sort out VPN on business connections. I doubt it's possible to fix before the capacity increase in March given the daily levels of packet drops of Gold traffic that it currently falls under.

Usenet - well they've deemed it undesirable on the network, so forget even trying to get headers or browse groups before midnight. I understand it can take a fair amount of capacity if left unchecked, but 800b/s->10k/s at peak & weekends isn't even modem speed - how in any way is that justifiable, especially when it's usually a paid-for service from an external provider?!

As you say, nice people but I'm also bored of coming here & shouting into the wind. PAYG is what they are currently obsessed with - and considering it should be their budget package, it seems particularly crazy that it now gets better priority across the board than the premium residential and business packages! When that's the state of things, and they thinks that's completely correct, well what can you do?!

I'm not getting the business-level package I'm paying £45pcm for and I just can't be bothered telling them that any more - so, it's goodbye from him, and it's goodbye from me! Cry
mcguinness58
Grafter

Usenet being throttled

Yes i am having the same problem with usenet. Usually at this time of night i get my full speed at about 780KB/s but i am getting a rubbish speed of 100KB/s!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Usenet being throttled

I've just kicked off a download. It's very spikey at present, but peaking over 600KB. Average is over 425KBps and still climbing (it started low because for a while it had a single connection getting an updated list of groups).

Edit: 00:47 Average now over 500KBps and still climbing.

PS I have got 20 connections going - 10 each to the main Astraweb server and the European Astraweb server.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
serenityvalley
Grafter

Usenet being throttled

I've just been messing around rebooting to try and get on a "decent" gateway - because speeds had dropped to under 20K/s by 9:30AM! Finally I'm seeing reasonable speeds of 150-200K/s (I have a 2MB connection) on PTN-AG1, but it keeps stalling and dropping me (even web-browsing).

This past month has been highly unimpressive.

Bah... 10:30AM and it's down to 20K/s on PTN-AG1 and also PTN-AG2.
10crawford
Grafter

Usenet being throttled

Usenet speeds very poor at the moment only getting dial up speeds on 10 threads.

Anything going wrong at plusnet towers?
James
Grafter

Usenet being throttled

Nothgin that I'm currently aware of. Are you seeing the same results across different gateways?
serenityvalley
Grafter

Usenet being throttled

7K/s now on 2 threads. I've rebooted several times and seen 2 PTN and IIRC, 2 PTE gateways.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Usenet being throttled

Are you on BB+ or Premier?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
serenityvalley
Grafter

Usenet being throttled

Premier Option 1.

I'm a fairly heavy user, but haven't passed any published thresholds in a year or so.
N/A

Usenet being throttled

since i first got Maxdsl about 4 months ago, the first month was terrible for usenet but since then i always got 450KB/s upwards. Untill the start of the year that is, this month has been the worst month. Speeds crawl at any time untill about 2.00am