cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usenet at 5kbps

N/A

Usenet at 5kbps

I've been downloading something from easynews since last night, over 12 hrs it downloaded about 40mb. I don't think it ever went above 6kbps. I was under the impression that during off peak hours, I'd be able to download from usenet at reasonable speeds (well, better than 5 or 6kbps), is this not the case?

Cheers
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Usenet at 5kbps

Which account are you on?
N/A

Usenet at 5kbps

Broadband Plus 2mb
Community Veteran

Usenet at 5kbps

That's why then, BB+ isn't designed for Usenet or p2p - if you want to use this at "reasonable" speeds you would need premier or payg, though many say usenet speeds aren't exactly brilliant on premier either.
N/A

Usenet at 5kbps

Ahh, I thought that this would only apply to peak times. As PN say:

during busy periods we will give priority to services such as web browsing and email and a lower priority to high usage services such as downloading and file sharing.

You'd be forgiven for thinking that the priority would adjust at off peak times wouldn't you?

At £22 a month broadband premier doesn't seem like a bargain when other companies provide completely unlimited broadband at £25.
Community Veteran

Usenet at 5kbps

All we need now is for PN to explicitly state this on the signup pages and product descriptions to prevent this.

Its all well stating that premier is suitable for regular downloads etc, but I think that it is time Plusnet explicitly state on the BB+ package "NOT SUITABLE for ANY Peer 2 Peer OR Usenet application"

This may prevent the vast number of complaints such as this.

My fear is however that this will not happen, as it could put off people who may not neccessarily be affected. In a similar way as the SUP limits are not being sent to every customer, as this may alo worry people who will not be affected.
Community Veteran

Usenet at 5kbps

At £22 a month broadband premier doesn't seem like a bargain when other companies provide completely unlimited broadband at £25.

No company can offer truely unlimited broadband for £20-£25 per month - it would cost a few hundred per month ;-)

Other companies such as freedom to surf or zen aren't strict on heavy dowloaders yet, but they will have to be in the future if they don't wan't to keep splashing out on more capacity as all the heavy users go to them as the other ISPs gradually limit the accounts on offer to prevent excessive use.

Freedom to surf use LLU through easynet and hence are able to offer service cheaper than many other ISPs as they buy from BT the same principle will still apply though - the more data that goes through the network the more it will cost.

Zen are far more expensive than many ISPs and as such are able to invest more in their network and will not need to limit the heavy downloaders as much as other ISPs.

At the moment plusnet buy the wholesale packages off BT. They pay a flat rate per month for each line regardless of speed then buy in "BT Centrals" which is basically the cables that take the data from BT to plusnet (someone else will know more about this and probably explain it better). The centrals plusnet buy cost £1.7 million per year and a such plusnet are reluctant to just light new centrals when the users want -because the centrals are so expensive the ISPs have to fit as many people on them as possible to get low prices but if some users is downloading 100's of GBs a month then it has a knock on effect on the other users.
N/A

Usenet at 5kbps

I'm lucky if I get 5k on news.plus.net and I'm on 2mb Premier :-(
N/A

Usenet at 5kbps

I'm not really looking for unlimited downloading, just want to be able to download at a rate which is quicker that 5kbps. Feel that its was not made perfectly clear when I signed up that the restrictions would be in place 24/7. Do plusnet let you migrate early in these circumstances, I signed up for a year, but have only been with them for 2 months.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Usenet at 5kbps

willandwayne - if you're getting speeds that low on Premier that suggests that there is something else at play. My account is shaped more than Premier and I'm currently getting about 160kB/s from news.plus.net.

What sort of speeds do you get on a BT Speed Test?

How many connections are you using?

Do you use any firewall software?

Are there any processess or other users that may be using bandwidth?
N/A

Usenet at 5kbps

I'm just using Outlook Express 6 out the box purely for text groups, guessing a single connection. Rest of speed is fine just seems to be the newsgroups that crawl.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Usenet at 5kbps

Getting headers on our usenet servers at the moment may be a little slow, more so at busy times such as the weekend, however work is underway to improve this considerably.
N/A

Usenet at 5kbps

Glad to hear improvements are being made...
Thanks Ben
TheFixer
Dabbler

Usenet at 5kbps

Since the next usenet status update was due on the 29/10 is there any? I had one evening, think it was Tuesday or Wednesday - during peak and I actually hit 220k for the first time in over a month although it has been back to the pathetic 5-30k since.

BB 2MB 'Premier' :?