cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usenet and the BBP...!!!

N/A

Usenet and the BBP...!!!

Just to fill some of you in whats going on.........

ianwild
PlusNet Comms Team
Hi Guys,

Just a brief update in terms of the speed reports on the managed platform. We have now identified a handful of customers who are still managing to download a disproportionatly high amount of data - Over 6GB a day reflects some people are getting very good speeds!

We are working on how best to address this and should be able to provide more information later today.

Regards,

Ian

how on earth can they do that with 5kbsHuh?? if you say good speeds then why are they getting them and we are not?

What Ian is refering to is........
people that use USENET with thier news reader i.e NEWSBIN, if they increase thier connection from the standard 3 to say maybe 10-12 then they are able to achieve a far higher speed than anticipated...!!!

Hi there,

About 28 users are using ~6gb a day. From looking at the data today a very large volume of this is from usenet. We are going to restrict the usenet feed to these customer only. This should make a noticable difference.

If this is not successful then we will look to other ideas to make the usage fair on the managed platform.

kind regards

Luke

Lets start the debate Wink Wink
23 REPLIES
N/A

Usenet and the BBP...!!!

My usage today is 23mb 10mb was before the problems started.
N/A

Usenet and the BBP...!!!

lol soon everyone will be converted to the darkside of broadband 5kbs 50 people sharing 240kbs on a 2mb line muwahhahahahahahahahahha i can see the evil geniuses sitting in their big fat leather arm chairs over at plusnet now eating kfcs and getting kicks off seeing how people react to their plans....
N/A

Usenet and the BBP...!!!

i used a whopping 50 mb yesterday, took an age even to download my email. seems better today tho.. wont be download anything till i've changed isp's..
N/A

Usenet and the BBP...!!!

I managed to get 3Gb on Monday (on nasty pipe) and 2Gb on Tuesday before stopping.

How?

10 connections to usenet servers at 5-12kbs each. I've stopped now, I was really load testing the connection and that's really bad, but that's how you do it
N/A

Usenet and the BBP...!!!

But connections to things that WEREN'T plus net local servers was crawl speed. I also had many issues downloading everything else.

And before anyone shouts at me for using large amounts of the bandwidth, I'm not downloading at all for over a day now and I've already got a downgrade order in with Plus (from 2Mb Home/Office to 1Mb home) and then I'm off as soon as I can. :-(
N/A

Usenet and the BBP...!!!

I hope everyone who got pissed about leaves that is around 240 people.

That is alot of money - 240x£40 a month = £9600 x 12 = £115200

And the claim not to be making much - my arse!!!!
N/A

Usenet and the BBP...!!!

Yeh but if costs I've heard are accurate and they get charged £1/gb (seems expensive?!) then we've each been costing them £140+ a month (assuming 140gb was what got us here in first place).

Also it would have actually cost them BT fees to regrade us INTO the pipe of death. Assuming it was standard £15 fees with no discounts that's £3000 for 200 people (not including people they've already put in and taken back out thus costing them twice)

Lot of assumptions there, but I can see why they'd want us gone.
Community Veteran

Usenet and the BBP...!!!

Also it would have actually cost them BT fees to regrade us INTO the pipe of death. Assuming it was standard £15 fees with no discounts that's £3000 for 200 people (not including people they've already put in and taken back out thus costing them twice)

Lot of assumptions there, but I can see why they'd want us gone.

The managed users have not been moved or regraded anywhere and you are not using a pipe of your own. You have just been grouped and your individual connections managed together within plusnets network using features available on the hardware plusnet use. So it has not cost plusnet anything or involved BT.

This has been one of a key problems in a lot of discussions, assumptions being made which were wrong.
N/A

Usenet and the BBP...!!!

No disrespect intended, but assumptions are made because real facts are not released by Plus net. Such as:

What speed pipe (or section of a pipe) are we actually on, What is the "real" bandwidth used that gets you on the pipe in the first place, what is the plan for the 200 peope currently on there who are getting speeds between dialup and sub 512kb broadband even with the 2mb lines?

etc. These forums are full of questions from people, but very little answers from Plus.net!
Community Veteran

Usenet and the BBP...!!!

The answers to all your questions have been posted but often get swamped by others who keep asking the same things or in threads that are just too long and active to keep up with.

What speed pipe (or section of a pipe) are we actually on

Ian stated in his long post here
As a result of yesterday's implementation, 8% of our total capacity
has already been freed up for the majority of our customers and a
performance improvement has been experienced by nearly all of our
customers as a result. 0.2% of customers were initially given 2% of
our overall capacity.
Given the usage patterns of these customers, it
follows that their own broadband experience is being impacted by each
other's usage. For the first time this usage has not impacted the vast
majority of customers.

Plusnet have assigned 2% of the total bandwidth for the managed users. Plusnet currently have 16 x 155Mbs pipes = 2480Mbs so 2% is 49.6Mbs to be shared by 180 people at present.

What is the "real" bandwidth used that gets you on the pipe in the first place

As previously stated many times the 0.3% seleced had used an average of 140GB+ per month over a 3 month period

what is the plan for the 200 peope currently on there who are getting speeds between dialup and sub 512kb broadband even with the 2mb lines?

This has been stated several times recently - see the first post in this thread!

Currently people using usenet are getting a vast proportion of the available bandwidth available on the managed pipe which is impacting what bandwidth is available for the rest of you thus resulting in very slow speeds. Plusnet are trying to restrict those heavy usenet users in your group so it frees up more bandwidth which can be used more fairly between you.

These forums are full of questions from people, but very little answers from Plus.net!

The answers are there, it's just the volume of questions (and many repeated questions like yours) that is making it difficult to find - and some, quite frankly, just don't want to accept the answers given.
N/A

Usenet and the BBP...!!!

Okay I apologise - I have looked, but like you suggested the questions/answers are being lost by the volume. Thank you for your response
Community Veteran

Usenet and the BBP...!!!

but like you suggested the questions/answers are being lost by the volume.

And the sooner people realse this, stop repeated questions and rants, opening multiple threads on the same subject, hijack others with their 'opinion' and give plusnet time to respond to the questions that still need answers (assuming they can still find them!), the sooner this situation will be resolved.
N/A

Usenet and the BBP...!!!

Heres a quick one I've not seen answered by plusnet. What speeds do you think are reasonable on a 2mb connection?
N/A

Usenet and the BBP...!!!

Dear petervaughan

Maybe I can shed some light on some answers to "stop repeated questions and rants, opening multiple threads on the same subject, hijack others with their 'opinion' and give plusnet time to respond to the questions"

1. Repeated Questions - Well the service was so good before that to do what Plusnet have done has really annoyed some of us.
2. rants - see No 1.
3. opening multiple threads on the same subject - see No 1.
4. hijack others with their 'opinion' - see No 1 and I personally think its the 99.7 % that have been hijacking threads, its as if there is so little else wrong with the world that all they can do is berate us high downloaders, well Sorry, but thats what I got broadband for, its no use to me getting no emails at Mach Three. I just wanted to download stuff., and thats that.
5. give plusnet time to respond to the questions - See No 1 again, and as far as the latest big letter, it was full of big words and numbers...just saying downloading and surfing would be "Slower" would have done fine.
6.Smart Arse Moderators Shockedops:

Cheers Cool