cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usenet (again!)

N/A

Usenet (again!)

I'm still experiencing terribly slow speeds and timeouts when accessing newsgroups via the F9 Usenet server. I can access the Usenet text server with no problems whatsoever. This is not a time dependent issue - it doesn't matter what time of day I try to access F9 usenet, it's always dead slow or stop. This has been going on for weeks now and despite public announcements to the effect that Usenet has been repaired, I can't say I've noticed any difference.

I opened a ticket about it a week ago and got this response today:
We are not experiencing any other customers stating they are having issues with usenet at present, downloading headers or having timeouts. We did have this issue a couple of weeks ago but Networks have since resolved this. Broadband Plus is not designed for bandwidth intensive application, you will have a more heavy profile applied to Broadband Plus usenet than you would do on Pay As You Go or Broadband Premier as it is part of the nature of the product.

Is anyone else still experiencing problems accessing F9 usenet?
7 REPLIES
N/A

Usenet (again!)

I would imagine from what you describe, you are on a BB+ account. + accounts are not designed for bandwidth intensive applications such as binary usenet and although (allegedly) it is not blocked, you will find it difficult, if not impossible to download from them.

At one time, F9 had an account called Home Surf which blocked all binary usenet and p2p. When they rebranded the adsl accounts they removed the total ban, just made it more difficult. Once ellacoya has been employed, that's your lot i'm afraid. Unfortunately F9 will not confirm that it is their intention to remove all binaries from + accounts, preferring instead to read the same questions over and again in the forums/ newsgroups/ tickets.

Regards

Mark
N/A

Usenet (again!)

I've been having extremely slow Usenet access over the last few days (I've just come back from a week off due to upgrade to 2 Mb (which turns out to be 1 Mb)).

I have not complained yet as I was wary that it was a problem at my end (using Agent)
N/A

Usenet (again!)

I too am on a + account and cannot download from the news.force9.net server at all, others are able to sometimes download the headers but then time out. It is nothing to do with your connection, just the type of account you are on.

Regards

Mark
N/A

Usenet (again!)

I didn't pay for an account that had shoddy Usenet service. I'm sure that there is a fault somewhere that needs correcting. It's not that there is no access but extremely slow access. It seems intermittent.

I'm trying Agent with both news.force9.net and usenet.f9.net.uk running together to see if it helps.
N/A

Usenet (again!)

Thanks for those replies.

So, if text.usenet.plus.net performs flawlessly when usenet.f9.net.uk has been restricted, my interpretation of this is that the object of the exercise must be to keep Plus account users off usenet.f9.net.uk. I therefore assume that blocking access to binary downloads is real reason behind this.

Fred
N/A

Usenet (again!)

newsgroups fulstop are slow.
N/A

Usenet (again!)

Last month, when on 256 kb, a text Usenet message would pop up in a second or so. Now, under 2Mb/1Mb it's about 30 seconds or a timeout. That is not how it should be.