cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usenet Very Slow Everynight

amjrobson
Grafter

For the last few weeks I have noticed that peak Usenet form Astraweb has been very slow, ie only getting 1 to 10kb download rate. At or around 12 Midnight it seems to go at full speed is 330-390Kb download rate.

I am on Premier Option 1 and didnt think that the traffic for usenet got shaped this much.

Or am I being limited during peak times.

Are anyone else having the same problems. I dont mind completing the majority of my downloads off peak but sometimes I would like to be able to download a little during peak times but would like a download rate of more than 10kb.
6 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

I saw a post from someone earlier using Astraweb that said switching to the server europe.news.astraweb.com increased the speed, but in an evening particularly Monday evening as it's the busiest of the week, usenet speeds will be slower.
amjrobson
Grafter

I tried this last night and it was no better in fact I was struggling to get downloads past 1KB/s Which I think even on peak is not on for a premier package.

Is there a general network problem during peak for Usenet or are you just throttling my connectiong during peak times.
James
Grafter

Last night will have been a poor example.

The platform balance has improved over the course of the day, so I'd be interested in seeing what sort of results you get this evening.

~1KBps speeds are not what other customers are reporting.
amjrobson
Grafter

I have been getting from between 1KB/s and 10KB/s every evening for about the last 3 weeks. But off peak it flys 330KB/s to 390KB/s

Should I raise a Ticket on my account to get it looked at and if so what option should I use.
James
Grafter

In honesty, I wouldn't expect you to see speeds over 20KB/s during peak times. However, if you're seeing 1KB/s speed I would see this as something that shouldn't be happening.
amjrobson
Grafter

James,

I am trying to connect to Astrweb for usenet again tonight.

I have 30 pipes running, 20 to uk, 5 to europe and 5 to US and am getting between 0.1KB/s and 2KB/s.

This must be a fault!!

It has been like this for the last few weeks Plusnet must have made a network priority change somewhere as this is just not on. If not you have got serious failings on your network somewhere.

How do I raise a ticket to get this looked at, it isnt on for a premier product.

Perhaps I should go back to dial up I used to get between 4-5KB/s.