cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usenet Throttled or not?

N/A

Usenet Throttled or not?

All I would like is a straight answer please. Nothing more nothing less. No one at PlusNet is giving a clear explanation or admittance of throttling as far as Usenet is concerned so please could we use this thread to clear it up once and for all. Throttled, shaped, it's all the same to me.

Usenet questions I think ALL usenet users would like answering:

1. I get no more than 80-90Kb in the evenings with 4 connections to newshosting on premier 2mb. Every day it is the same. Are PlusNet throttling me?

2. If throttling does occur, at what times, from - to?

3. If throttling does occur, when usenet only accounts for 2.7% of all traffic, why is it being throttled?

Would other users please post their usenet provider and current speed / number of connections. After all, it may be other issues, not PlusNet.

Thanks everyone. Please, lets try and get to the bottom of things in this thread. The subject is clear enough.

Moderators note by John (johnessex) All capitals title reduced to lower case. Please dont post titles in all caps.
12 REPLIES
N/A

Usenet Throttled or not?

Downloading now from plusnet USENET servers on a 2 mb connection, getting 22 kb/s at the minute.................

Enough said !!
N/A

Usenet Throttled or not?

now getting 7.8 kb/s on a 2mb connection. Is this a joke ?

Just done plusnet speed test at the same time, see below :

PlusNet Speed Test

Your current speed is:

1.81 Mbps

Which means you can download at 231.54 KB/sec. from our servers.

Tell me why then plusnet that I am getting such PANTS speeds from your USENET servers ? Its obviosuly not contention as your speed test shows, and I certain ain't getting anywhere near 231 kb/s from your servers Huh
Community Veteran

Usenet Throttled or not?

Assuming you are on premier.... That is a 30:1 contended product so 231Kbs/30 = 7.7Kbs. It's a crap speed but still within the limits for your product.
N/A

Usenet Throttled or not?

Gettting 50k on a 2meg premier connection to giganews.

adslguide.org speed test shows 200k no problem.

I recieved no email about going over download limits. It would seem that usenet is being throtteld regardless of the new fair use policy...could someone from plus net crew exaplain how exactly this new policy is likely to work? Oh and while your at it, could someone answer my CS ticket? It has been 48hrs now.
N/A

Usenet Throttled or not?

It aint going make much difference complaining , plusnet dont want p2p or usenet users so do like myself and others are doing reject the new t&c and get your mac code.

thxs f2s or zen for me
N/A

Usenet Throttled or not?

It aint going make much difference complaining , plusnet dont want p2p or usenet users so do like myself and others are doing reject the new t&c and get your mac code.

thxs f2s or zen for me

I think I'm alright anyway. I migrated to plusnet with a uncapped 2meg connection anyway and I took the monthly contract, so I guess I only have to pay the £15 migration fee. Hopefully...

Robert
N/A

Usenet Throttled or not?

only thing is with some of you if you signed up for the defered activation you might have to pay £58+ im not too sure best to check with plusnet first how much it will cost,
channel
Grafter

Usenet Throttled or not?

Assuming you are on premier.... That is a 30:1 contended product so 231Kbs/30 = 7.7Kbs. It's a crap speed but still within the limits for your product.

If I may observe: It also relies on a specific interpretation of "contention" (ie: the worst possible effects of contention that could ever be experienced on your line assuming that all users max out their connection.) In truth, natural "contention" doesn't occur in that way since not all 30 users would be maxing out their connection at the same time. However, in the hypothetically contended world that is being described, one must consider that this extreme and unrealistic scenario that is being postulated is actually what is happening at all times and therefore is the best you could ever hope to achieve.
N/A

Usenet Throttled or not?

My line was already activated and was on the same product type (a 2meg uncapped line) and I'm on a monthly contract with no hardware.. So in this case I believe that the only fee a customer has to pay is the migration fee, which is £14.99.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but does anyone know how the 30 day notice period works for cancellation. Should you request your MAC code the same day that you pay for your PLusnet, or should you do it before. I had a simillar problem with Pipex where you pay your subscription in arears, so you have to pay an extra month after you have cancelled (or something like that).

Robert
N/A

Usenet Throttled or not?

**UPDATE**

Well, it's now 12:29am and I'm getting ROCK solid 230Kb/s. I would therefore guess the throttling stopped at around midnight.

In retrospect, I cannot grumble at this, it looks like throttling is occuring on usenet similar to P2P but hey, I will download off peak in future. I don't consider 230Kb/s for 16 hours a day, and 80Kb/s for 8 hours unreasonable.

A straight answer would be nice though.
N/A

Usenet Throttled or not?

Yeah, I was getting fine speeds (230-250) at about 3.30pm this afternoon, wasn't in to test the peak speeds, but its better than the plus account, which was only 15k/s at anytime.
N/A

Usenet Throttled or not?

i agree with gear i dont mind but they could of said something.. i was scatching my head for days wondering wots up ... anyway now i know, i can do something about it ... still i think its rather a sly way of doing things, how can i tell people how good a provider they r... when to behonest they aint .and they dont look after their customers that well, but it could be worse cough aol :twisted: lol..