cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usenet - Suggestion for people with poor perf on Premier?

N/A

OK, it would have been helpful if PN had made it clear that Usenet is not really supported on BB+ anymore. When it wasn't zero, it was pulling about 5kb/sec!

Anyway, I have upgraded to Premier and things are significantly better.

However, after an hour or two of use I'm experiencing the same kind of "problem" other users have reported here. On a 1mb line individual usenet downloads are, on average, around 40kb/s (this before the 15GB cap, of course, and from PN's own nntp server). They do go higher, but don't seem to sustain high speeds for any length of time.

I'm not sure why this is (and I don't think it is a stated policy). Good news is that PN doesn't appear to be deliberately "shaping" usenet traffic to 40kb/s across the board.

All I need to do to get the most out of the 1 MB line is open it up to 3 or 4 simultaneous connections in the Grabit newsreader.

Binary files then download at a consistent 95-125 kb/s (an aggregate of numerous d/l threads, but if it's a binary file in many parts, what's the difference).
8 REPLIES
N/A

Sorry to say it mate but your not likely to get any help from Plus.net!!!

All they are concerned with is taking your money for a shoddy service.
N/A

@downess

You have a PM sitting in your inbox from yesterday. Would you please read it.

Thank you.
N/A

I don't need any help at the moment, downess.

Multi threading usenet downloads gets around any potential problems I might have experienced and may be a solution for those users reporting unsatisfactory speeds on Premier.

http://www.shemes.com/index.php?p=download

Header retrieval can't be seeded up using this method but I can live with that.
N/A

I don't need any help at the moment, downess.

Multi threading usenet downloads gets around any potential problems I might have experienced and may be a solution for those users reporting unsatisfactory speeds on Premier.

Ok when PN first introduced the traffic shaping and we all got 5kb/s on NNTP i did the following.

1) Downloaded Newsleecher

2) Connect to external newsserver (Easynews)

Newsleecher (NL) would then connect to my newsserver 99 times to fillup my connections bandwidth. Thats 99x 5kb/s.

However recently PN must have realised this as even NL cant download PAST 30kb/s. I doubt GrabIT would fare any better especially as it only supports 8 threads (I think) compared to NL's 99.
N/A

Indeed, pcexpert, as you say, multithreading isn't going to get around anything, when it's the protocol that's being throttled. Once you hit 15Gig it near dial-up speeds for the rest of the month, and as any usenet user who DL binaries will tell you, once you've updated your headers for the month, that 15gig is all used up. Sad
N/A

A lot of newsservers (Easynews) do not count retreieving headers as bandwith quota. However im sure PN do Cheesy .
N/A

It gets around the slow performance a few people have complained about on Premier BEFORE the 15GB cap, at least when dowloading multipart binaries. Individual threads tend to idle at around 30-50kbps (which is why 3 or 4 additional threads are sufficient).

I did point out this wan't "shaped" traffic, I don't know what is causing it. But pre-15Gb Usenet was not as advertised without multithreading. At least it wasn't when I posted this, not used Usenet since then.
N/A

Regardless - PN have stated that they will only allow 4 threads at any one time anyway (at least to their own Usenet servers).

As stated before, once you have donwloaded 15GB, your connection will crawls. 5kb/s peak and max 30kb/s off peak. The first 15GB came down from Usenetserver (a paid for, 3rd party provider) very quickly indeed, which made me think I had made the right choice for my service provider.

Appreciate all your efforts, but try living with those speeds and we'll see what you have to suggest then.