cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usenet Speeds Back to "Normal"

KevH
Grafter

The high speed peak time Usenet download speeds didn't last long (on Premier 1)

Last Friday I was getting over 600KB/s from Astraweb in the evening (9pm). Tonight I'm getting <1Kb.

Anybody else in the same boat?

BT Speedtest:
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 7150 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 8128 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 5714 kbps

8 REPLIES
amjrobson
Grafter

Mine is the same usually get 300-380 but it is getting 12 from Astraweb.

It looks like Plusnet have problems again somewhere.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

I've just been checking with the network guys and they're currently trying to rebalance all the traffic on the network now that the new pipe is in and almost the same amount of customers per tunnel connected as the other pipes. Monday's are traditionally the busiest night of the week so I'd say give it a bit to get everything right.
KevH
Grafter

Thanks Dave. Can I assume that would expect NNTP traffic to be just more than a few 10s of Kb/s peak time, all things being equal?
N/A

So, just to broadcast my ignorance then...

I'm on PlusNet Broadband Premier Option 1, 2Gb, and I use GigaNews. For some months now, usenet download speeds between, say, 10:30am and 00:30 (i.e., for most of the day and evening) have generally been in the range 5 - 100 Kbps. All other traffic (browsing and FTP) usually exceeds 1500 Kbps at all times. This is normal for people in my position, is it?

I was about raise a fault / use the help assistant / whatever, but from what I read above there's no point?

It never used to be like this? Sorry if I'm rehashing an old story, but I'm generally very contented with PlusNet's service so don't usually go looking for trouble.

Any response will be read with interest.

Dave.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Thanks Dave. Can I assume that would expect NNTP traffic to be just more than a few 10s of Kb/s peak time, all things being equal?

I would expect it to be faster than that, but it's difficult to put an expected speed on it at peak. I'd say to give us a day or two to get everything properly in balance simply because it's a complex process to add extra bandwidth and ensure that the bandwidth is properly allocated.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

I was about raise a fault / use the help assistant / whatever, but from what I read above there's no point?

Hi,

At the moment I'd say there's no need to raise a fault on this. The speeds you have been seeing aren't unusual, overnight you should see higher.

As with my reply above we are currently working on the balance of the network after the addition of the new capacity which isn't a simple task.
N/A

No, sorry, we've just hit a new low. Since about 8am, for the last 90mins, download speed has been between 10 and 20 kbps. Shouldn't be like this at this hour. Definitely feels like shaping / throttling, unless the network balancing has made things worse for usenet. What a waste of money.
James
Grafter

We've been trying to improve the P2P experience for our Premier customers. This has been seen to have an affect on Usenet traffic which we're currently looking into.