cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usenet Speed Problem

N/A

Usenet Speed Problem

news.plus.net seems awfully slow this afternoon, anyone else concur ? ping times are good but try to download headers is really poor ? is there an alternative server i can use ?
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Usenet Speed Problem

Yep, taking between 20+ seconds to scan the headers for each of the groups i'm subscribed to.

It was taking 1 or 2 seconds yesterday and almost instant a while back so it is getting worse.
N/A

Usenet Speed Problem

Thanks Peter, content seems to load ok, but it just the headers scan and d/l that seems sloooow
N/A

Usenet Speed Problem

Ticket raised

Usenet platform extremely slow, confirmed by other user (Peter Vaughan) on forum. Seems to be getting progressivly slower to download headers and sometimes content. This is not a problem with MY connection this is a platform fault
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 69

Usenet Speed Problem

Having a look into this now.

Regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Usenet Speed Problem

This has been raised with Networks and a service status has just gone out.

Regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team

Community Veteran

Usenet Speed Problem

Speed back to normal for me.
csogilvie
Grafter

Usenet Speed Problem

Speed should have come back when work was backed out - details in http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26313
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Usenet Speed Problem

Yep, this should all be OK now. We're keeping an eye on things throughout the evening. The problem with CGI02 should have cleared now aswell.

Regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team

N/A

Usenet Speed Problem

Guys, thank you. Despite bad press sometimes spouted on the forums about plus. How many other isps would give a dam about a slow usenet feed on the saturday before easter. Proof positive, certainly to me that plus are the best out there.

Worth every penny of my subs.

Yorkie
suec45
Grafter

Usenet Speed Problem

On the subject of USEnet, do you guys sometimes have headers of over 100mb in some groups??

By this I mean, when u get the updated list of the headers, sometimes it is over 100mb download for me just to get these headers!! I even had 150mb for one group!!

This seems really excessive as there were not even that many subjects in the group!! But there were a lot of binary files.

Just wondering if this is normal?? I am using Grabitt to read the headers and download files.

Thanks in advance.
Community Veteran

Usenet Speed Problem

Are you sure they are just headers. It sounds like your newsreader is downloading the headers and bodies at the same time.

Headers are never that large, even for the popular binary newsgroups.

I don;t use Grabitt but I suggest you check your settings to see if it is just headers being downloaded.
N/A

Usenet Speed Problem

Headers are never that large, even for the popular binary newsgroups.

alt.binaries.dvd.spool 655Mb (14 days retention)
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Usenet Speed Problem

Yep,

I tend to download the latest additions to all my binary groups, once or twice a week and it takes a long time. Nothing unusual as far as I'm concerned, especially when dealing with millions of headers.

Regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team