cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usenet Slow

N/A

Usenet Slow

Is there a problem with Usenet? I am currently struggling to download from Usenet at 100kBps and yet the PN seed tester says that I should be able to download at 240kBps.

I have raised a ticket with CS Ticket No: 17299489

Steve
14 REPLIES
N/A

Usenet Slow

I'm downloading now a usenet binary file at... 16KBps. Other times I see up to 180KBps so something is wrong... or PlusNet have pulled another rabbit out of the hat without telling anyone.

Simon
N/A

Usenet Slow

The response I got from CS was to ask me what usenet server I was using. How do I find that out?
N/A

Usenet Slow

Once upon a time you pointed your newsreader at a news server - its name will be in the newsreader settings. PN were probably saying that their own server was ok so the problem must have been elsewhere. My (US) server is back to normal this morning so maybe it was a transatlantic thaang.

Simon
N/A

Usenet Slow

I was using PN servers with clarinet as a secondary backup server. The program was saying that it was getting the files from PN although there were a lot of errors in the log, so it may have been getting the odd block from clarinet. I cannot understand why CS is asking what server I am using. If I am asking them about the status of Usenet then I am obviously asking them about their servers, I would not expect them to be able to comment on 3rd party servers. I am not at home at the moment so I cannot check to see if the speeds are back to normal.

Steve
N/A

Usenet Slow

i'm also getting erratic speeds.

It's currently 100kb/s on my 2MBit premier line. But has been down to a fraction of that.
N/A

Usenet Slow

...and allegedly usenet isn't shaped for Premier customers.

Simon
JJ
Grafter

Usenet Slow

Usenet avg 30KB/s Max 70KB/s 8.30pm
Speed test same time 237 KB/s
Yes it is the plus net Server

Been like this for some time during peak times, today is no exception I just assumed it had been throttled like the P2P services.

JohnH

Home premier Original-Original 20:1 Variant
N/A

Usenet Slow

Me too - this is bad - struggling at 13.8KBps
N/A

Usenet Slow

i struggle not to max out my connection, tbh. completion and retention have been a bit iffy though.

have you tried multiple threads?
JJ
Grafter

Usenet Slow

usenet 2300 48KB/s , 2315 50KB/s, 2330 58KB/s, 2345 105KB/s, 0100 200KB/s, 0555 208KB/s

Seems fine outside of peak hours

JohnH

Home Premier 2Mb, original-original, 20:1 Variant
N/A

Usenet Slow

yeah noticed a hell of a speed drop in my downloads also.
used to be around 200kb+
now around 30 - 50 kb

got an email this mornig about the bt regrade to be put on to the 50:1

hope this all sorts itself out.
N/A

Usenet Slow

surely you must realise that usenet now comes on the traffic shaping profile. i was getting very erratic speeds til midnight and then all was fine. also i think it has been stated on adslguide that plusnet do not shape usenet so you can be assured that they do. Its a shame they havent learnt to actually tell their customers what exactly is going on as if it continues this way they will probably lose customers.
N/A

seems ok now (wed 19.32)

hmm seems ok right now. getting 200-250kb/s according to grabit (3 streams)
N/A

Usenet Slow

I'm not currentyl using the plusnet usenet servers, I noticed with mine that when I was trying to use port 119 my speed on grabit was showing as between 7 and 11 KB/s as soon as I switced to a non default port that my provider uses speed mysteriously increased to normally around 90 KB/s - 100 KB/s.