cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usenet - Problems with binary groups

N/A

Hi, I don't even know if this is in the right forum, but here goes anyway:

I am trying to use a newsgroup binary downloader program with Plusnet's Usenet service. So far I have tried both Newsbin Pro and Binary News Reaper. The problem is that with both programs, when I download the list of available groups, not a single alt.binaries group is found. Clearly something is going wrong somewhere because a search of Plusnet's newsreader indicated that there are 4552 binary groups...

Could someone suggest how I can fix this?

Thanks,

Iain
18 REPLIES
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Well, we definately do have alt.binaries groups! I've not used either of those clients you've menioned so I'm not sure where to look I'm afriad.

Have you tried Grabit, I've used that a few times without any trouble. It's free and can handle nzb files and multiple connections.
N/A

Are you using usenet.plus.net ?

I use Grabit, that works fine.

http://www.shemes.com/
N/A

Well, I tried Grabit and still no luck - it downloads a list of around 60000 groups (just like the other programs), but none of them are binary groups.

I am indeed using usenet.plus.net...
Ben_Brown
Grafter

What account are you on? Have you enabled the "Surf" option via the portal?
N/A

I haven't used newsgroups before, so unfortunately I don't really understand what you just asked. If by what account you mean my Plusnet subscription, I'm on ADSL Home Surf 2Mb. Otherwise I really can't find anything resembling a "Surf" option...
Community Veteran

Ok Home surf if I recall is not designed for news groups and access to them is eather not allowed or seriously restricted. which is probably the reason you are having trouble.
N/A

Ah, I'd guess that would explain it... I take it that's also why any form of P2P software no longer works on my connection?

Looks like I may have to upgrade...
N/A

I have found that the alt.binaries servers are there, however they are not very well maintained, i went to get a file today and all it retrieved was blank text files, meaning that the data was no longer there, whereas now getting it from a different host it is downloading perfectly fine.
Community Veteran

Ok Home surf if I recall is not designed for news groups and access to them is eather not allowed or seriously restricted. which is probably the reason you are having trouble.

Home Surf = No p2p or Binaries
Pathfinder
Grafter

I have found that the alt.binaries servers are there, however they are not very well maintained

They are maintained just fine, it's just the retention rate is only a few days. If you want better retention then you have to subscribe to a commercial usenet service.
N/A

Yeah I meant retention, what sort of retention do we get on the stuff on alt.binaries, I assume if it appears in the morning I can still pick it up in the evening on the same day or the following morning.

Also, is there a usage limit on the usenet access.
Pathfinder
Grafter

I think retention is around 3 days and accroding to where a day starts on Usenet I guess whats there in the morning will be there in the afternoon unless you just get unlucky!

There are not any usage limits on Usenet.
N/A

good good, well once i have been upgraded to premier I will be checking it out and seeing if its worth cancelling my newshosting account
Pathfinder
Grafter

If you are willing to check in daily then I think you fill find that Plus.net's Usenet is not too bad at all for what is, essentially, a freebie add on to your service. Cool