cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usenet Limits - not working properly

MeMeMe
Grafter

As I understand it, you have a 25GB limit on access to plusnet's usenet servers each month. (This is separate from the traffic management and sustainable usage limits.)

The problem is, if you have an account with another provider, say Giganews, and only access plusnet's servers for a fraction of your downloads, you still get limited.

Here's an example to illustrate.
This month I had downloaded 2.5GB from plusnet's servers, and 22.5GB from giganews. At that point, my access to plusnet's servers was denied, but I could continue downloading from Giganews fine.
This is silly - if there's a 25GB limit on downloading from plusnet's usenet servers, it should only apply when I'm actually downloading from plusnet.

Are there any plans to change the way this works?
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

The p2p/ftp/usenet allowance of 20GB (for upto 2Mbs product, 25GB for upto 4Mbs which I assume is what you are on) applies to the type of traffic being downloaded and not where it is downloaded from. It is not an allowance just for for the plusnet usenet servers, it is a general allowance for all usenet traffic from any source.

Also no matter where the traffic comes from it still has to go via the BT centrals which have a limited capacity, hence the traffic shaping and allowances that plusnet have implemented.

You may be confused by the old 15GB usenet download limit on the PlusNet usenet servers which was replaced by the 20GB P2P/Usenet/FTP traffic management allowance I describe above. linky.
MeMeMe
Grafter

I have not yet exceeded either the sustainable usage limits nor entered the levels of usenet/p2p use where traffic management would be applied, so why would I get an error when I attempt to access plusnet's servers?
N/A

It sounds like there is something else causing the error. AFAIK none of the usenet/SUP/or other limits would ever cause connection errors, rather, they will reduce the priority/speed of the traffic.
MeMeMe
Grafter

It looks like I was wrong - after three days of being unable to connect, I can now. Computers - can't live with them, can't live without them...