cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usenet: Capping for all and no binaries for BB+ users ?

channel
Grafter

Seeing as it does not appear to be being widely discussed in the Customer Feedback Forum, which is where one might reasonably expect it to be, I thought I would bring to the attention the post below from PN's Dave Tomlinson from the plusnet.service.customer-feedback newsgroup.

It had certainly passed me by until now!

The long and short is that PN are currently considering reintroducing the idea of a 15Gb monthly limit on usenet access and restricting Broadband "plus" users to text only groups.

Obviously, given the results of previous consultative exercises, I wouldn't be too optimistic about the impact leaving feedback here may have but, hey, you never know!

Newsgroups: plusnet.service.customer-feedback
Sent: Saturday, July 23, 2005 3:12 PM
Subject: Usenet Consultation

As customers may be aware over recent weeks there have been some
performance issues with our Usenet platform. The service we provide is
designed to offer a good level of access to text groups and a basic
service for binary groups.

We would like to take this opportunity to consult with our customers
regarding proposals we have in order to stabilise the performance of the
platform and ensure that the service is fully scalable for future growth.

Firstly, as suggested in the past we are considering implementing a
monthly download limit. As our usenet platform is not designed to be a
fully commercial application we are considering a monthly download limit
of 15GB.

We would also like to know if customers would find a monitoring tool,
similar to View My Usage, useful in showing how much they've used each
month, as well as that they think should happen when the 15GB limit is
reached. For example, would you rather have a text only feed, or a speed
limited binary service. (For reference we are looking at the 15GB as being
the total of all data downloaded, both headers and bodies).

We are also suggesting restricting Broadband Plus accounts to text only
groups. Again we would like feedback on this and whether customers rather
see this like Home Surf where all binary news services are blocked, or
whether it should just be our binary news service that is blocked.

The intention of these proposals is to ensure that the usenet service we
offer is of the highest quality while maintaining a great value price
level for all of our customers. At the moment we are in the initial stages
for the design of this project and such we would like to hear customers'
opinions on these suggestions and any questions and thoughts they may have
which will help in the next stage.

[Moderator's note by Liam Martin (martinfamily): Appended quote into BBCODE quote tags for clarity]
13 REPLIES
Ben_Brown
Grafter

This was posted to usenet as it is a resonable assumption that the people who use usenet frequent that particular newsgroup.

If you have any input on this discussion I would urge you to post your responses to the thread in Usenet.
N/A

Some people only use usenet for Binary downloads so may not see that post!
channel
Grafter

This was posted to usenet as it is a resonable assumption that the people who use usenet frequent that particular newsgroup.

In March, PN saw fit to consult in this forum as regards Usenet policy changes. I would urge you to check out this thread where PN even ran a poll on the issue of restricting the number of groups available!

If you have any input on this discussion I would urge you to post your responses to the thread in Usenet.

Why? Are you incapable of reading replies here and collating them?

As has already been pointed out, I suspect the bulk of usenet users don't go ferreting around in underused groups such as the one you tucked this announcement away in. Many won't use a traditional reader for any access to usenet at all, and so will never see the announcement.

If users choose to make comments here, I would urge you to give them equal weight to those posted elsewhere. (Such as in the thread in Usenet.... and probably any comments picked up in ADSLguide, which is, after all, where PN seem most responsive.)
N/A

If PN did introduce a cap on the News Servers then the P2P programs may get used more and therefore cause more congestion than there already is due to the uploading needed as well.

There are a few little niggles I have in your post:-

As customers may be aware over recent weeks there have been some
performance issues with our Usenet platform. The service we provide is
designed to offer a good level of access to text groups and a basic
service for binary groups.

OK then if there are issues surely the hardware needs a kick or at the very least an upgrade?

We would like to take this opportunity to consult with our customers
regarding proposals we have in order to stabilise the performance of the
platform and ensure that the service is fully scalable for future growth.

Consulting customers is a good idea and like others have mentioned it would have been nice to post it on the forums after all the forums are for discussion especially when you wish to consult your customers, using News Servers to do this I'm sure you are targeting a certain audience.

Firstly, as suggested in the past we are considering implementing a
monthly download limit. As our usenet platform is not designed to be a
fully commercial application we are considering a monthly download limit
of 15GB.

I understand fully commercial news servers have monthly download limits on their binaries but you have a retention of a few days unlike fully commercial news servers which can be over 30-days.

Regards
N/A

Keep going PN

Reduce p2p capability
Reduce Newsgroups

REDUCE CUSTOMERS :!: :!: :!: :!:

YOU CAN ONLY LIMIT SO MUCH :!: :!:
N/A

If Plusnet reduce or mess up Newsgoups/usenet, I would have to leave Plusnet.
martinrowe
Grafter

That is an unreasonable assumption
N/A

Well if enough customers get upset and leave the ones that stay will probably see the service go back to the old plusnet we used to know and love Wink

Unfortunatly we'll probably not have the option of remaining with PN for long as they'll end up going bust Sad

Nice on PN, how many more customers can you upset in one week - are you going to see if you can beat the record (set by the CEO of Ratners who insulted every customer in one sentance a few years ago Wink ).
mike001
Grafter

Some people only use usenet for Binary downloads so may not see that post!

Yep ya got that right
I only found it in the forum As I dont use text groups just binarys
It should be put in both :?
RocketBott
Dabbler

This is my first post but I feel I have been shafted & am about to be again by the looks of things.
Moved from Premier to Plus to find it was NOT only throttled at peak times but always for my lite use of newsgroups.
Now when I think I will move back to Premier I find it too is throttled.
Then there is this talk of capped or text only usnet.
How many times can a product be changed once it has been soldHuh
N/A

That is an unreasonable assumption

Do you really think that posting it here is likely to cause it to be seen by more Usenet users then ? I think it should have been announced in the same way as maintenance work, etc, via the standard (there's a laugh, when sometimes a message doesn't go to both mailing list and Usenet) announcement mechanism.
N/A

Now when I think I will move back to Premier I find it too is throttled.

I know the frustration of having BB Plus throttled at two levels, very slow and 'slower than a snail' but AFAIK, the Premier account would not be affected for Usenet only for file sharing apps.

The idea of blocking all binaries would be laughable, if it wasn't the type of madcap thing which PN might decide to do ! If Plus.Net doesn't do something soon about having binaries working reliably, it won't just be BB Plus customers feeling unhappy but with some nasty ideas for changes to Usenet, as well as traffic shaping on Premier for file sharing, it's like PN wants to shoot itself in both feet

How many times can a product be changed once it has been soldHuh

Quite. If Plus.Net decide to stop binaries (and access to external news services) for BB Plus customers, then ADSLguide will see it as giving them the final nail for the coffin to seal Plus.Net in.

PN is considered far from "open and honest" because of various policy changes over the last couple of years, but if PN makes the wrong choice for Usenet, they launch themselves on a slippery, downward slope, with no brakes, to a guaranteed crash.

Selling BB Plus as something similar to Premier, with less web space, no fax- to- email, no CGI /Front Page /shell access, but just slower for Usenet and file sharing, and then proposing to adjust it to a new form of 'ADSL Surf', is going to build the case against PN for any and all critics - unfair on customers, change their mind every few months, with no guarantee you will keep the same facilities..

If low Usenet quotas or binary blocking happen for BB Plus customers, it won't have been a product for even 6 months when they come in. OK, a way to encourage new customers to trust you, PN ? I think not, to be honest!

I think 15 GB is too low a limit but not having any figures to hint at how many ADSL customers use newsgroups, how many use under 5 GB, how many (total) under 15, 25, 50, 100 GB and how many (and to what amount) over 100 GB, we customers have to guess at the 'size' of this problem - come on PN, tell us more about the actual use of the news servers (when all is "well"!)
N/A

Far from reasonable - I gave up on the plus.net news servers ages ago due to unreliability etc. If you're going to block access for Broadband Plus users to servers that work it isn't going to be very popular with me for a start.