cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usenet Announcement

N/A

Usenet Announcement

Usenet network traffic is currently classed as ‘bronze’ for most of our customers and runs at a low priority across our network. This combined with heavy usage has caused some customers to receive a slow service at peak times.

From 1st November Usenet traffic from our servers and from external providers (e.g. Easynews and GigaNews) will be prioritised into our ‘silver’ profile which should provide a faster service for the majority of customers. In order for this to be sustainable as traffic profiles grow, this prioritisation will apply to the first 15GB that customers use per calendar month.

After customers have used more than 15GB on Usenet, the traffic priority will move to a lower level until the end of that month where the level will be reset again. There is no cap or overall limit on the traffic to our Usenet servers, or on the protocol itself. 99% of customers used less then 15GB of Usenet last month.

In addition to the introduction of 15GB of prioritised traffic we are reducing the maximum number of threads on our Usenet service to be 4 per customer. This should have no significant impact on your experience but will reduce the utilisation on our platform which will protect the service so that it is more reliable for everyone.

Hi, Stewart,

Just out of interest, can you clarify this? I think I already know the answer, but the first paragraph specifically mentions the word "peak", so I'm not entirely sure.....

Does this mean that downloading >15GB off peak (usenet) would result in on peak usenet traffic dropping back down into the bronze queue?

Thanks.
10 REPLIES
N/A

Usenet Announcement

stew answers a couple more questions on this subject here http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35210

welcome to the forums (well, posting on them)
N/A

Re: Usenet Announcement

In addition to the introduction of 15GB of prioritised traffic we are reducing the maximum number of threads on our Usenet service to be 4 per customer. This should have no significant impact on your experience but will reduce the utilisation on our platform which will protect the service so that it is more reliable for everyone.

I always used to use four connections and it was more than enough to max out my 1Mb line. In recent months though 4 connections only gets me around 70-80% of capacity, so I've upped the connections to eight and am back at full speed for much of the time (although even eight connections can drop back to 500kbps or less at the worst times).

Now you're forcing me back to four connections. I wonder if the traffic re-prioritisation will make up the 20-50% shortfall in throughput...

Won't know until I try I suppose.

By the way I hardly ever exceed 10Gb monthly usage (all traffic). I like my Usenet fast, not heavy.
N/A

Usenet Announcement

4 connections is maxing out my 2mbit Smiley
N/A

Usenet Announcement

I never used more than 4 connections to Plusnet's news servers until specifically TOLD to by Mr Tomlinson on this very forum in order to improve transfer speeds. So on the one hand I'm happy to drop my number of connections down to 4, but the only reason I was using more than that was because Plusnet suggested it!

Seems rather ironic to me.
N/A

Usenet Announcement

118 KB\s with one connection updating headers on my 1 meg line Cheesy
N/A

Usenet Announcement

Seen a marked improvement in usenet today. Tuesday is my day off so I had a chance to check performance throughout the day. It was encouraging to see supernews binaries flying down at 200KB/s at mid-day.

Things have gone kind of back to "normal" now thanks to contention and I'm presently seeing 80KB/s. MInd you, that's the same as my http downloads at present.

Don't want to speak to soon, but it seems usenet is no longer uselessnet.
N/A

Usenet Announcement

Seems rather ironic to me.

Reading between the lines, I would guess that when usenet traffic is in the bronze que, each connection is capped at let's say 1/20 of your maximum speed.

Having 4 connections lets you download and keep Plusnet's bandwidth intact. What Plusnet don't want you to do is have 20 connections and download at full speed again.
N/A

Usenet Announcement

I asked this in a ticket, but wasn't directly answered. Is Usenet traffic on the 1st of November, but before the announcement, counted in the 15gb allowance (i.e a scheduled download in the early hours)? Im not fussed either way, but would like to keep an accurate count of my own to avoid having to download header on low priority.
JonathanW
Grafter

Usenet Announcement

Hi,

Anything downloaded on the 1st would count towards the month itself, due to the way that the new system works.
N/A

Usenet Announcement

Thanks Jon. Ill put it in my spreadsheet then Wink