cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usenet And perhaps P2P downloading

N/A

I have just had my account activated today, I was very impressed with the 250k/s I was receiving from the http download of the latest slamd64 version and all my windows updates that I had to perform today, however a problem has now ensued....

I started using my usenet program to download software and it has only been running at 20k/s, even at 01:26 as the time is currently it is still only running at 20k/s, now I understand from the terms and conditions that the connection would be throttled for this type of downloading during peak times, which I was informed is 18:00 - midnight, now it is definately after this time and I am still receiving slow speeds.

Are there any others out there with this problem and can someone enlighten me as to what is going on, as right now I am thinking of looking into the possibility of cancellation as it is well within my first month of having the connection so I must be able to cancel with not being satisfied with the service.

So anyone else in a similar situation want to explain why on a 2Mbit line I am downloading slower than on the 512K line I had at my parents house.
19 REPLIES
N/A

@fryingfish

Hi welcome to plusnet,

the problems you are having is common at the moment with plusnet, wherver it is plusnets traffic shaping or exchange issues etc etc is a ongoing dispute on the forums,

if you try speedtests ...and tracert to try and find the cause ,

im just going to check my d/l speeds ..
N/A

Its definately only on usenet and perhaps p2p as I am just accquiring the latest linux kernel now at 210.89k/s so that side of the connection is not limited. Yes it appears to be a traffic shaping problem, but it is definately not within the peak period as defined by Plusnet, which leads me to think they are infringing their own terms and conditions here, this is not a good thing for us customers.
N/A

@fryingfish

hi ive just started d/l from usenet and im averageing 200kb which is normal for me this time of night, at peak times ive speed of 25kb - 50kb max which is very poor ,

Try d/l over next few days at different times and see if a pattern develops ie certain times, Surport will ask you you to do a few tests etc like btspeedtester..
N/A

Ok, Can you tell me which newsgroup you were downloading from perhaps to see if it just the particular group I was using at that time that was slow. The group I am currently using is alt.binaries.mma and still only downloading at 28k/s now, which is very poor for this connection speed
N/A

The servers i tried earlier was usnetserver and yottanews and giganews,
N/A

Ok, I was on the newshosting server, which has always been fast for me, yet since being on plusnet it has only ran at 30k/s maximum, I have used newshosting on a 40Mbit pipe and had 2 MB/s before and on my 512K pipe at home I was getting 64k/s but this has been slow, leading me to wonder if plusnets traffic shaping is on all the time....
Community Veteran

what package are you on with plusnet?
N/A

Broadband Plus, 2Mbit, but I haven't seen it say that they limit that sort of downloading at all times, only on the peak times.. or have they changed it again since I signed up, in which case I would be looking at premier then, but from what I hear thats no better....

"With Broadband Plus you can use any type of Internet services you want. In order to ensure we deliver a high level of service, during busy periods we will give priority to services such as web browsing and email and a lower priority to high usage services such as downloading and file sharing."

That is taken directly from the advertising for the broadband plus, so from reading that at non-busy times I should expect to be downloading at a normal speed, not 30k/s and I haven't heard of 1.30 am or infact 8.30 am being classed as the busy period, since according to their own advertisment again the busy period is 16,00 - midnight..

Which is leaving me even more confused
Community Veteran

The killer clause:

6.3.2 Broadband Plus is not designed to sustain prolonged high-bandwidth, heavy-usage applications such as continuous Peer-to-Peer (P2P) file sharing, streaming video, binary downloads or other intensive uses.

Premier it is, I wouldn't worry though many people get absoloutley fine p2p and usenet on premier. ;-)
N/A

Ok if its not desgined to withstand heavy sustained usage then why was i downloading the slamd64 iso's at 250k/s without issue... Looks like i may have to upgrade to premier though.
Community Veteran

Because it was a http:// download? They are not shaped.
N/A

OK then, so their wording is mis leading, right will have to upgrade to premier then, oh well looks like its an extra £6 a month, but seems like it will be the only way, still works out a little cheaper than other services..

I guess the traffic shapping is done on a port basis, or is it done on a packet basis. Actually I suppose it will be packet basis due to the fact that people change their ports for things like torrents, oh well looks like its the other method for speeding up the transfer then..
suec45
Grafter

I htink many ppeople have fallen for this.

Plusnet have (had?) a reputation of being a great honest ISP, and were getting more and more users through this and keeping them.

Why not go back to this way and continue building a great business with happy customers, rather than misleading them and annoying them with silly things like misleading BB+ packages?
N/A

Yeah it would be nice of them wouldn't it, I have already told at least one person I was recommending this service to to not use it at all and to stay completely clear. so that is at least 1 customer they have lost.