cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usenet-After 15GB expect 3-4kb Confirmed by Customer Support

N/A

Hi,

After the first 15GB of usenet traffic has been used, the service will be reduced, which will make it slower than the bronze queue. However, the speeds that customers are currently experiencing sound slow compared with the design, and as such we will be looking into this with our networks team.

PlusNet Customer Support

I saw the above on one of the forums so thought I would get it confirmed in a contact us ticket. Here is the reply:

Speeds around 3-4kbs should be the norm once the 15gb limit has been reached. We are monitoring the speeds as some users seem to be receiving even lower speeds, or are unable to connect at all.

Regards,

FROM BAD TO WORSE TO PLUSNET what more can I say
21 REPLIES
N/A

It will be interesting to see the comms team comment on this. I am hoping the CS guy has incorrect information. Dial up speeds isn't slowing down, its stopping.

Just a side note - you should remove the agents name. Its agains't forum rules to include them on posts.
JonathanW
Grafter

Hi,

Currently, people are seeing speeds of 3-4kb, when they shouldn't be. This is whats being looked into presently.
Pathfinder
Grafter

Re: Usenet-After 15GB expect 3-4kb Confirmed by Customer Sup

I think that it is a bit cheeky to impose this service restriction ahead of having a tool available for the customer to monitor and manage their use of the service to avoid the slow down in the first place.
N/A

Are the CS agents aware of this Jon? I know it can be hard to keep the information flow without taking people off the phones\answering tickets, but this seems to be the current hot issue and it would help you all if everybody was singing from the same hymn sheet Cheesy
N/A

Shesh! I am sure that people would have liked to know full stop! Did anyone receive an email from PN about this before it was implemented!!?Huh
N/A

Currently, people are seeing speeds of 3-4kb, when they shouldn't be. This is whats being looked into presently.

Why do I have 2 emails and 2 returned tickets from 2 different members of staff saying:

Speeds around 3-4kbs should be the norm once the 15gb limit has been reached. We are monitoring the speeds as some users seem to be receiving even lower speeds, or are unable to connect at all.

Regards,

And

The speeds that you are recieving will be the normal speed achievable once you have reached the 15gb threshold. Speeds before you reach the 15gb will be normal.

If what I have been told in reply to my Contact Us ticket is not true please can you post confirmation of this.
N/A

I am hoping the CS guy has incorrect information.

It's more likely that no-one told him that there is a cover story ("we will fix it soon - honest - when we can figure out how") for public consumption, and that the facts - that this speed is intentional to drive away heavy downloaders to other ISPs - is strictly hush-hush.
N/A

In fairness to the comms guys, they have been responding to these threads. Its early days and I am prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt. It wouldn't be in there interests to create an expectation of improvement only to withdraw it.
N/A

Being looked into but still no feedback on what the speeds should be or when we will be informed of this.

And in answer to

Did anyone receive an email from PN about this before it was implemented!!?Huh

You may of missed the email, It was titled "Usenet Service Improvements" (What a Joke)
JonathanW
Grafter

Hi,

This is still being looked into, though currently there's no further information that I can provide other than to state that it is still being investigated.

As for the CS Agents, we do our best to keep them informed, but occasionally its not possible to keep them as up to speed, due to the number of people involved.
N/A

Hi,

If they shouldn't be, you must know what they SHOULD be.

Care to share or is it too contoroversial or uttainable?

Either way by suppressing the information is a great flak-avoidance exercise.

Or is it?
N/A

Hi,

This is still being looked into, though currently there's no further information that I can provide other than to state that it is still being investigated.

Surely you could fix the problem instantly by backing out the changes you made in implementing this 15GB limit? I know enough about production systems to know that if you can't fix a problem at short notice, the correct response is to put things back to how they were until you can figure out what went wrong.
N/A

I have just posted the following on "Contact Us"

I have posted your answer on the forum and have the following reply:

"This is still being looked into, though currently there's no further information that I can provide other than to state that it is still being investigated.

As for the CS Agents, we do our best to keep them informed, but occasionally its not possible to keep them as up to speed, due to the number of people involved.

Jon Whiting"

Are you sure that 3-4kb will be the normal speed once 15GB has been reached or not?

Will post here with the reply.
N/A

Well here is the answer from Plusnet:

I apologise for the previous response, I have ensured the agent in question is educated.

We have not actually set a speed for the post 15GB performance but it was anticapated to be higher than this. It is currently under investigation with our networks team.

So looks like Plusnet didn't have a clue what was going to happen and not stated what the anticipated speed is. No great surprise base on Plusnet's past performance.

Have replied to this post with:

"What did you anticipate the speed to be thenHuh"

Watch this space for the next installment of Plusnet try to organise a XXXX-up at a brewrey