cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usenet 15GB Limit, Huh?

N/A

Usenet 15GB Limit, Huh?

I Have a Teleworker Account for which I pay a premium. Plus net even said that Usenet was a "value-added service" when in fact it existed on the Internet well before the WWW!

Ticket

In off-peak times I have been able to transfer from Usenet at almost the full bandwidth of my 2Mbps line. At those times I get a 235 kB/S transfer rate.

For the last 12 hours the transfer rate has been stuck at an average of 3.5kB/s (evidence attached).

I believe I'm not getting the service I'm paying for and would like advice.

due to new implementation of usenet monitoring, we are now allowing customers to download 15gb at full rate. over the past 2 days, you have downloaded 17gb of data. i would presume in this case you have exceeded you 15gb allowance.

This will be rest to full speed at the end of the calendar month.

PlusNet's vision for 2006

...how we see the market evolving over the next 12-18 months. We are not changing any policies and we don’t expect any products to change in the short term.

Services such as Usenet are also increasing exponentially and some customers have been unhappy with service levels. We are in the process of building in a 15GB allowance of traffic across Usenet internally and externally

MAC Key Requested.

I have even paid the balance of my outstanding annual contract
674 REPLIES
N/A

Usenet 15GB Limit, Huh?

As i understood it or i think i did ?? you can download 15gb at full rate then after that it goes in the bronze queue but i had no idea it would be reduced to that speed :shock:
I applied for my mac a few days ago and go on the 7th, this service and the underhanded tactics are appalling.
N/A

Usenet 15GB Limit, Huh?

Jeez, is that really 3.5KB\s from 12 connections :shock:

I asked when the announcement was made whether the connection would return to the bronze queue once the 15gb was used and only told it would be a "lower priority". That seems excessive throttling though. I can understand sub bronze, but that is just about unusable. I am pleased about the change to the extent it has made usenet a more reasonable service and 15gb is plenty for me, but it should be made clear the extent they are going to throttle you after that. Sorry mate, that sucks. Good luck with your new ISP.

edited for error
N/A

Usenet 15GB Limit, Huh?

This is disgusting

I pay Usenext for my Usenet. I pay plus net as an Internet Service Provider. I reluctantly have to accept your download limits, but now you are interfering with a service you have no right to interfere with.

I to will be requesting my MAC

Why is it we only hear of these things once they are in place. Do we have to be glued to these newsgroups all the time?
N/A

Usenet 15GB Limit, Huh?

I completely agree this is absolutely disgraceful. I also pay for my Usenet connection with Easynews and now my connection is completely useless due to this insane throttling. They say that there are users who download a lot. Of course there are. An ISP will have clients who have usage right across the spectrum from very light users to very heavy users. What did they expect? They say 99.9% of their users didn't use the 15gb of bandwidth last month which leaves a lot of bandwidth for those who do. It is a balance that the overall income of plusnet can cover easily. This is just a cost cutting stunt by plusnet and the most despicable part is that they are telling you that heavy downloaders effect other users so that the other users will be all for this and not complain. Complete rubbish. If they can cut out the heavy users then they will cut their costs but they won't pass that saving on to you. Some will complain that light users are therefore paying for the bandwidth used by heavy users. NO everyone pays the same and you are free to use the internet as much as you like. Some just choose not to and others use it to it's full potential. If They are going to reduce that full potential then they should cut the price too. Why the heavy users should be punished i don't know. This is nothing but a PR crafted, cost cutting stunt designed to marginalize people who use the internet a lot.
N/A

Usenet 15GB Limit, Huh?

look, you can either take this 15gig of full traffic or u can just putup with slowness all day.... its your choice!

Plusnet are not in anyway stopping u downloading 80Gig a month from usenet should u choose to.

during peak hours it will be slower however, but even at bronze traffic level i have not seen sub 100k/s speeds which are resonable enuf to download whateva i'm doing be it headware/messges or whateva
N/A

Usenet 15GB Limit, Huh?

The guy is getting 3.5KB/s from 12 connections though. That is way slower than it was when in the bronze queue. it seems to have its own new even lower priority after the limit has been breached. I think people should be aware that going over 15gb is going to cripple the service, rather than just slow it down to previous levels. I am not personally bothered about that, but lets at least have some transparency here so people can make informed decisions.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Usenet 15GB Limit, Huh?

There are only 6 connections there aren't there?

Phil
N/A

Usenet 15GB Limit, Huh?

Ooops, yeah I think you are right. I thought it was 6 servers with 12 connections, but looking again its just showing 4 seperate to GigaNews Europe. My bad Shockedops:
N/A

Usenet 15GB Limit, Huh?

There is no peek time/off peak time the speed is throttled to, in my experience 23k/s max, over the last 24h period. completely unacceptable.
N/A

Usenet 15GB Limit, Huh?

Plusnet are not in anyway stopping u downloading 80Gig a month from usenet should u choose to.

And how do I download 80GB a month at at 3.5kB/S as I indicate in my original post?

:?:
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Usenet 15GB Limit, Huh?

We need to manage the traffic across our network to ensure that latency sensitive services such as PlusTalk, HTTP and email will always function correctly.

USENET is not a latency sensitive application and also takes up a disproportionate amount of our available network capacity. Previously we gave usenet traffic a lower priority to keep this under control, however this caused light users to be affect the same as heavy users, i.e the service was slowed down about the same for everyone.

What we have done now is set a clear level of usage (15GB) that people can download at full speed, then when this level is reached the service is slowed down. This makes the service a lot better, especially for the lighter users.
N/A

Usenet 15GB Limit, Huh?

Ben - can you just clarify that the priority beyond 15gb is below the previous bronze level? Its fairly important to know what can be expected beyond the 15gb priority level (i.e will less than 1k per connection be the norm)?

Thanks

Peter
N/A

Usenet 15GB Limit, Huh?

Yes some clarification on the level of "slowing down" would be appreciated, to allow us to understand what we can expect, is it just being placed in a different queue, or is there a maxmimum bandwidth being set for it?
N/A

Usenet 15GB Limit, Huh?

We need to manage the traffic across our network to ensure that latency sensitive services such as PlusTalk, HTTP and email will always function correctly..

Since when is email "latency sensitive"? A few seconds don't matter.

So over to downloading via HTTP for man on PlusNet then.