Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usenet 15GB Limit, Huh? V2

mike001
Grafter

dtomlinson

pf117 wrote:
As such, why wouldn't you simply just impose a 15 Gb cap (or less if you saw fit) on your own USENET server? This would decrease the load on your servers and improve the speeds for the "casual" user (the original aim), without adversly affecting those choosing to subscribe to third party USENET servers.

dtomlinson
By doing this we'd be going back to the situation we were in last month where usenet was slow during peak hours for anyone using external binary servers. The majority of customers, and that's regardless of whether they use an external binary server, or ours don't use anywhere near 15GB in a month.

But why was it that external binary servers slow during peak hours ?
17 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

It was slow because Usenet traffic is in the bronze traffic queue and when the network is busiest (i.e. peak times) it saw more an effect of the 30:1 contention ratio on our network.
N/A

It was slow because Usenet traffic is in the bronze traffic queue

huh?? I thought the 1st 15GB was in silver traffic ??

Not that I'm worried, hardly use usenet ...
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

It is now, the question was why was it slow, i.e. before the 15GB.
LiamM
Grafter

It is... now...
N/A

A lot of us have gone over the 15gb this month because of the fault with PlusNets servers, and PlusNet are just sitting there doing nothing about it - why should we have to pay the price for a fault on PlusNets side :?

The 30kb/s cap was bad enough as it is for the past few days, but today my downloads are going slower than 20kb/s! My download has NEVER been that slow, in the 6 weeks I have been with PlusNet.

Come on guys, sort this out!
N/A

168500K in 3hr20, avg 13.94K/s, 30+hrs left - truly awful!
N/A

So... what is PlusNets excuse this time?

Better be something original!
N/A

Original Thread - Usenet 15GB Limit, Huh?

Why does a thread reaching 41 pages and going round in circles require locking! Surely this shows that it is contentious issue that customers feel strongly about, I hope V2 does the same.

Is it perhaps being locked becasue this thread has over 1900 views and a lot of people complaining, and Plusnet would rather stanp out this publicity?

Roll on with the "T&C changes are good" indoctrination...................... Evil
LiamM
Grafter

I locked the thread, not Plusnet. Nor was I asked to by Plusnet.

You may be unhappy... but going round and round in circles banging on about the same issues is not going to make Plusnet change their minds. Plusnet have given you all the answers you could ask for, so if you don't think the service is for you, then perhaps Plusnet are not for you...
JonnyF
Grafter

To be frank... thats really bad attitude, and quite a typical one from mods. I should hope Plusnet listen to their customers, even if we are only 1400 strong, and would consider more suitable alternatives?

Jon.

[Moderator's note by Mark (pcsni): Full quote of preceeding post removed as it is unnecessary
JonnyF
Grafter

And for the record, just so it doesnt get lost in the previous locked thread....

A couple of excerpts from Plusnet's Customer Support pages.... (the ones new users are linked to)

"To prevent any such drops in quality, we manage traffic on our network. Priority is given to ‘time sensitive’ activities such as email, surfing, gaming and internet phone calls (sometimes known as VoIP). Activities such as file sharing are given slightly less priority but will still be fast - for example a download that would have previously taken one hour may now take a couple of minutes longer."

"Will my downloading be affected?
The traffic management we apply is extremely light, so you should not notice any major impact on your downloads. If you have large downloads to make, you could schedule them for off-peak periods when traffic management is even lighter or non-existent. "

Here is the link to the page...

http://www.plus.net/support/features/traffic_management.shtml

hmmmmm!?

Jon.
N/A

Hi Jon,

Plus Net do of course listen to their customers.

Usenet was originally managed in a way which suited no-one. Following customer feedback, here and elsewhere, they introduced the 15gb limit as they found that that fitted into the usage patterns of most customers. So yes, they do inded listen.

What Liam was suggesting, was that they have reacted to customer concerns and to be honest it is highly unlikely that we'll see much or any more movement on this subject.

As such the original debate was going round in circles and getting nowhere fast. At 41 pages long it was getting a bit long.
N/A

martinfamily - to be honest what difference does it make to you if a thread is 1 page long or if it is 200 pages long? All you have to do is moderate the latest posts... and now they are in a new thread :?
N/A

I don't want to drag this off topic and in no way is this meant as a dig at the mods, who on the whole do a good job here and take a lot more flak than they deserve. However, the issues in that thread were still very much live. This is a substantial change to the service and many people still want to carry on the discussion and try to get more answers or look for a more satisfactory compromise. Its also the 20th of the month, over the next few days people will come to the forums to find out whats going on (when they hit 15gb) and we will have yet more multiple threads on usenet and the discussion will become bitty and impossible for the comms team and customers to follow. I am not trying to be contentious. Just appealing to your reason and asking that you please re-open the thread. This isn't an issue that will go away and closing the thread will only make everyones (mods, comms team and customers) lives more difficult Sad