cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usage tool

N/A

Usage tool

Has anyone compared an independent usage tool to the plusnets web based one ? I may do this next month for the period of the month . Looking at my usage the most i ever downloaded on my last isp was 26GB , i remember that month lots of music and prawns . But i have noticed my usage is up by 10GB , wonder if I'm getting to addicted to my prawns Shockedops:
7 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

Usage tool

Well hey... at least your honest mate Wink
N/A

Usage tool

On a serious note tho , i do have to wonder how accurate the tool is . If no one has done it I'm going to find me a free usage monitor and keep it on for the whole month and compare results .
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Usage tool

The VMU tool gets it's data from our RADIUS server and is very accurate.

In the few cases where it has been incorrect it has reported usage to be lower than it actually was.
N/A

Usage tool

I admit to being surprised at the amount of meg used for viewing a few simple web pages. I too will need to check this out, as subjectively it feels a bit disproportionate to my activiity.

It would also be handy for the usage tool to differentiate between upload and download.

Also does the tool really exclude activity in the last 2 hours?
N/A

Usage tool

So I'm not the only one then :shock:

OK anyone got a link to a good monitoring tool thats free ?
N/A

Usage tool

mmm... done an overnight check.
PlusNet usage tool appears to give an accurate account of activity.

I did a comparison with 'DU meter' downloaded from TUCOWS it's shareware with 30 days evaluation. Appears to work well and agrees with the MVU tool.

I'll continue to keep a tally for the coming month. Shocking how many meg are used - not sure where they are going - but I'm using then nonetheless.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Usage tool

If you have a router, which you leave on while your PC is off, then the VMU tool might show a fair bit (but not a stupid amount!!) more than the DU Meter due to background noise and packets to keep the connection active. While this isn't too much, over the month it may add up a bit, so something to be aware of when you are comparing the 2 stats over a longer period of time.

Phil