cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usage throttling not so bad! :-)

N/A

I just survived my first experience of exceeding my usage limit and having my speed "throttled".

I must say it was not nearly as bad as I feared from some comments on these boards.

My "throttled" peak time download speed was still in excess of the 2MB speeds I had before being Max'ed, and the degradation was hardly noticable for normal browsing.

All in all I think PlusNet have got the balance right with this.
21 REPLIES
N/A

Thanks for the positive feedback I will make sure these are passed back to every one involved at PlusNet.
Fixes: 115

Nice to know the positive feedbacks are passed to everyone Wink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

N/A

Thanks for the positive feedback I will make sure these are passed back to every one involved at PlusNet.

Does that mean the negative feedbacks go in the bin ? Shockedops:
Fixes: 115

My "throttled" peak time download speed was still in excess of the 2MB speeds I had before being Max'ed, and the degradation was hardly noticable for normal browsing.

Will you still be saying similar things when you achieve level 3 and your speeds goes down to 512K with blocked P2P, etc and your upload is practically non-existent or, at best, worse than dial-up?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

N/A

The OP does realise that FTP, P2P and Usenet are blocked after another threshold is reached?
N/A

Will you still be saying similar things when you achieve level 3 and your speeds goes down to 512K with blocked P2P, etc and your upload is practically non-existent or, at best, worse than dial-up?

Probably not! ;-)

Are these "levels" of transgression documented anywhere.....?

I was mainly pleasantly surprised as I expected, from reading these forums, that fire and brimstone would rain down on my computer as soon as I hit 3GB, as it was, the throttling was hardly noticable.......
FooAtari
Grafter

Of course this is all clearly laid out in the T&C's.

I am a heavy internet user (video downloads, radio, p2p and online gaming) but have only once reached level 1 management in my year with plus.net so far. And that was because I watched around about 20 hours of high quality video feeds over the three days of E3. When this happened I laid off the http downloads (at peak times) for a couple of weeks and hit level 2 management on my last billing day (yesterday), today everything is back to normal. And as far as I was concerened (i never use P2P at peak times) I saw little difference in my connection speed and quality.

Otherwise I have never come close to reaching the peak time 10gb? limit. It just involves a tiny bit thought to make the best use of your connection.

I think that each and every ISP does or will soon have a management process. It is simply not possible to allow everyone to download as much as they want at all times and still keep a fast and reliable network for everyone.
N/A

Im cool with level 1 limitations, its hardly noticable, but level 2 does get noticably slower but not by a massive amount, and 3 becomes very slow, and 4 is just a joke.
N/A

Im cool with level 1 limitations, its hardly noticable, but level 2 does get noticably slower but not by a massive amount, and 3 becomes very slow, and 4 is just a joke.

At what level of usage do these "levels" come into force? I just search the plusnet site but found no details of this...
N/A

I couldnt be accurate mate, and im also on the BB+ package so if your on premier the caps will differ. For me the first one is about 3GB, then up a level around about every next 500mb of peak time use.
N/A

Well I signed up for a "uncapped" account. Suddenly I got to realise that I am down to 512 kbp/s without prior notice and get a mail a week later telling me that i will be down to 128 kbp/s (aha.. another unnounced usage limit)...

Well lets just say I disagree with you.
Luckily I will no longer have to deal with this soon. By Plus.net - you won't be missed, you can keep your "uncapped" "free setup" accounts.
FooAtari
Grafter

All I'm saying is, by managing my connection myself, I at least, have had very few problems. I agree with you on the uncapped service, I dont think there was as much restictions when I signed up. But it is still for the most part uncapped. Off peak useage is for the most part left alone both with monitoring and restrictions, it is only peak that is managed.

Most other ISP's are doing the same, or if not they soon will be, unles you pay more money, which is fair enough, the more you pay the more you get!

Hope things go well with the new ISP
N/A

I too went slightly over my peak 10gb limit (10.7 ish) - was placed on level 1 but didn't notice any difference.
Lately i've been giving P2P a bit of a hammering and think i used 48GB or so in total for last month..... but after seeing these figures i've taken positive steps to try and help myself and possibly others by using the windows task scheduler which fires up my P2P programs at midnight and shuts them down at 3.30pm. This still give loadsa time to grab what i want while asleep/at work and frees up the peak period for myself and maybe others to enjoy fast 'normal' services.
Hope this doesn't sound too 'goody goody' ....... *straightens Halo*

Ian
N/A

Well I signed up for a "uncapped" account. Suddenly I got to realise that I am down to 512 kbp/s without prior notice and get a mail a week later telling me that i will be down to 128 kbp/s (aha.. another unnounced usage limit)...

Well lets just say I disagree with you.
Luckily I will no longer have to deal with this soon. By Plus.net - you won't be missed, you can keep your "uncapped" "free setup" accounts.

I too signed up for an "uncapped" account, and have now just hit my 3GB limit and have been restricted to 160kbps. The restrictions started way before i hit my limit. Also they say that the restriction applies only to peak use but mine is restricted ALL THE TIME!

I have now passed the end of the months usage but the restrictions are still there, sigh...