cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usage statistics request

cfcws
Grafter

Usage statistics request

This is a request for more information re usage of my connection.

Last month my usage jumped to 9GB from a normal figure of 5GB but as it was outside peak time I did not notice.

Support have informed me that they cannot give me a breakdown of the type of usage as it is only available for the current month.

Given that this usage figure is a central element of the contract I think Plusnet should have this information available.

It may be that the usage is accurate as not being a techie I do not have a clear idea of how my activities affect my usage but to have no feedback is a problem.

By the way I am a happy user so this is not a Plusnet bashing exercise.
15 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Usage statistics request

Unfortunately the data gets archived off at the end of the billing month, I'm not even sure if it's kept. Does the current month look correct; you should be able to see a breakdown of that?
Fixes: 116

Usage statistics request

Dave, either yourself or someone else at PN has mentioned that the data gets 'archived' before.

By definition this means that the data has been stored and, therefore, must be available albeit, not always easily.

Perhaps you could clarify this situation. please?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Usage statistics request

The total data usage is archived, 3 months data will be visible in VMBU but not the daily usage or the traffic type split. The thing I'm not sure on is how much of the breakdown we keep and archive, it's certainly not something that the CSC have access to.

Usage statistics request

Dave, while we're on the subject but not wishing to hijack the OPs question, would it be possible to have a daily breakdown of internet activity rather than the 'from billing to date'?

Edited to say thanks for your above reply! Smiley

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

cfcws
Grafter

Usage statistics request

The current month looks back to normal which is why I want to know what happened.

I only noticed because I was looking at the new products and the cap that they have. If I had been on the BBYW 8GB product I would have probably exceeded my limit.

It seems odd that you base your product charge on the usage but you have no tools to help customers understand their usage.I may have caused the spike but now I will never know.

I realise you cannot introduce this now but it would be nice to know you will create something in the future as you have the tools already but not the data.
Liam
Grafter

Usage statistics request

Dave, while we're on the subject but not wishing to hijack the OPs question, would it be possible to have a daily breakdown of internet activity rather than the 'from billing to date'?

We have this data, but it's not currently displayed on VMBU. If you think this level of detail would be helpful to you, perhape raise this as an idea via PUGIT? ( http://usergroup.plus.net )
Liam
Grafter

Usage statistics request

The current month looks back to normal which is why I want to know what happened.

Do you have a wireless network? Could anyone else have used your network at all?

I only noticed because I was looking at the new products and the cap that they have. If I had been on the BBYW 8GB product I would have probably exceeded my limit.

This is where BBYW is better than having a fixed cap. You can choose to Flex and post-pay extra usage, or you can just have all your traffic slowed to 128kbps so you can still use your connection.

It seems odd that you base your product charge on the usage but you have no tools to help customers understand their usage.I may have caused the spike but now I will never know.

You would be surprised, I think, by other providers who do the same but do not even provide any usage data at all! Before I worked at PlusNet I was a customer, and the VMBU tool on the Portal was something that most impressed me when I first signed up.

I realise you cannot introduce this now but it would be nice to know you will create something in the future as you have the tools already but not the data.

If you have any ideas as to how we can develop the VMBU pages, why not raise an idea via the PlusNet UserGroup Issue Tracker. You can signup and add your idea via their website ( http://usergroup.plus.net ).

Cheers,
Liam
cfcws
Grafter

Usage statistics request

Thanks for the reply Liam.

I have a wired network.

I guess I will have to check my usage more regularly.

As I said I am a happy user and I realise the tools are better than most which is why I have been with Plusnet for a long time.

I will put the idea forward as you suggested.

By the way would a viable alternative be for Plusnet to send an email if usage hit a level that we could set on our account?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Usage statistics request

There are some email triggers in place at the moment at pre-determined amounts (such as a warning at 11GB on Premier or when you reach your included amount on PAYG or BBYW). Would you rather have a custom trigger?

Usage statistics request

The warning emails do not always get sent. I was relying on the level 2 warning last billing cycle which never arrived and, consequently, went into level 2 managemnet.

I suppose I should not have trusted the email warning system.

Would having a custom trigger actually alleviate this problem?

cfcws
Grafter

Usage statistics request

A custom trigger would help me as I could set it at my normal usage and then I would be made aware of a change in usage.

This would let me check the breakdown before it was archived.

By the way I am a very boring user I am not into downloading films etc so this is really a fail safe in case something unusual happens or I start some activity that chews up my bandwidth.

A good example is Sky by Broadband, it was only by luck that I found out it uses my bandwidth even when I am not using it so I uninstalled it.

It is for these kinds of programs, where as I understand it the user loses control of their usage to some extent, that I want some fall back noticification.

A good solution would be a warning email if usage jumped by say 20% from last month but I guess that would be harder to implement.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Usage statistics request

These are the sort of things that fit in with the idea of Broadband Your Way. I've no idea how easy it would be at add something like this to the spec but I don't see it can't be considered. May be worth adding it as an idea here

http://usergroup.plus.net/pugit

As we can use that to make decisions on as well as to gauge opinions (people can vote on ideas they like).
cfcws
Grafter

Usage statistics request

Thanks

I have added it as suggested.
grimme
Grafter

Usage statistics request

Hi,

I know might be after the event, but at home I use a program called Netmeter. (Only available for Windows PC's, but I believe there are Open Source alternatives)

I can set it up to alert me when I have used a given amount of bandwidth from that Pc during each month, so if my allowance is 2GB, I get it to alert me when I get to 1.7GB.

It then can also calculate an average usage per day and will alert if thinks you will exceed the overall set limit.

If you have more than 1 PC at home, just set each installation of Netmeter to use a percentage of your overall bandwidth limit.

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/NetMeter/1058844763/1