cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usage policy question

N/A

Usage policy question

Hello,

Just signed up to PlusNet, I opted for their 2mb Premier service at £21.99. I was willing to pay over the odds for this 2mb service because I was under the impression by their advertising that it was a premier service.

Plusnet's benefits of Broadband Premier

Up to 2Mb broadband as standard - up to 40x times faster than dial-up*
Super-fast up to 4Mb and up to 8Mb speeds coming soon**
Get the security of a fixed monthly payment
Ideal for experienced, serious Internet users
Suitable for homes with more than one PC

A great all-round service

However, after reading more of the sites harder to find pages, I'm beginning to wonder if I've really subscribed to a premier service.

I consider myself a pretty heavy user, I share my internet connection with 2 PC's, 2 Xbox's and a Xbox 360, as such we need a low contention and 0 usage limits, which is what I thought I was paying for with the premier. It seems though that instead of monthly caps, they employ a fair usage policy, or some such codswallop.

It sounds to me that this is just a fancy title given to Plusnet's policy of restricting their alleged premier service as they see fit. So I'm wondering how strict are they with this policy, because they also run a 45 day satisfaction guaranteed policy to opt out. And to be frank, I'll opt out in a heartbeat, if the premier service does have caps, (RE: Isn't at all a premier service!)

If it isn't subject to capping, then, the premium price isn't so bad.

UKOnline 2mb is £14.99 unrestricted, not throttled but a 50:1 contention just for a price comparison.
16 REPLIES
N/A

Usage policy question

Just read the SUP again & see whether or not you are likely to break the usage limits for the tariff you are on.

If you are likely to break the usage limits PN aren't the ISP for you. They are very strict on the usage policy so whatever parts of it you break you will be penalised accordingly.

TBH if you have a chance to opt out get out as soon as you can. The customer service dept you call is poor which is a pitty as the staff who do devote their time (for free) on the forums are very helpful but the unhelpful rude people you speak to on the phone undo any of this hard work.

As for the usage policy that has changed at least twice since I joined in May with PN moving the goal posts. If you are not one for checking the forums regularly you wouldn't have known about this as PN do not send out e-mails of changes to the service automatically.

I was throttled 6 days ago even though I am paying £39.99 a month & have not exceed any limits. 6 days later I'm still without an explanation or reply from PN.

The traffic shaping they have in place clearly doesn't work & online gaming is up the spout too. (I lost my connection in PGR 3 over 25 times last night & that was at 4am in the morning.)

I wouldn't go to UK Online as their service is very poor. Check ADSL guide to find an alternative ISP.

Good luck
___oDiN__
Grafter

Usage policy question

premier is indeed no longer a premier package any more in my opinion

you have usage caps usage throttle limits peak caps
2 different peak times for 2 different things its all too much im afriad and as i said theres nothing premier about it at all
the premier package has been capped in my opinion to spare bw for the bb+ packages
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Usage policy question

the premier package has been capped in my opinion to spare bw for the bb+ packages
I don't think that is correct. The BB+ packages with the new restrictions are actually more profitable than the Premier packages if you use the total unthrottled/semi-throttled allowance of 25GB.
A more accurate statement is that they are throttled to avoid lighting new pipes and to benefit the 99% :lol:
N/A

Usage policy question

Well according to their usage policy, after downloading 100GB total in a month and / or 30GB at peak times, they'll start to butcher our service.

I'm not sure what times are peak times, but according to my usage we've knocked up 3.96GB of peak time usage since my broadband was activated this Friday evening. with that, I think it's probably best I do opt out because I can easily see my usage reaching and breaching those limits and to be honest It's not the service I thought it was, nor paid for.

Thanks for the help peeps. Any recommendations of an ISP that caters for the heavy users, doesn't restrict or throttle and has a competitively priced 2mb service?
Community Veteran

Usage policy question

TBH if you have a chance to opt out get out as soon as you can. The customer service dept you call is poor which is a pitty as the staff who do devote their time (for free) on the forums are very helpful but the unhelpful rude people you speak to on the phone undo any of this hard work.

Just to balance that out I have only every spoken to one CSC rep that was even mildly rude and even they weren't rude just giving the wrong answer (not the one I wanted to hear!) and for a reason I couldn't understand.
N/A

Usage policy question

Should I find it worrying that you only countered the Customer Service opinion and not the opinion of the actual service? :p

Either way, my mind's set. I'm going to migrate from Plusnet.

Again thanks peeps! Smiley
Community Veteran

Usage policy question

My opinion of the service is that:

PN provide a rock solid connection and many extras which I am very happy with. If I wasn't I'd migrate.

However they are not for people who download 100's of gigs per month and until wholesale prices come down I doubt they will be and less and less ISP's will be able to sustain this kind of usage.

Good luck where-ever you end up!
N/A

Usage policy question

If I might be constructive before I leave. Something will have to change with Plusnet's policies or I dare say they'll have problems advertising any of their products as a premier service in the future.

People already now download a lot and it's sure to increase soon too as on-demand digital distribution takes a foot hold. Sky are set to start their 'Sky by Broadband' service soon, itunes already distribute music and video and Valve's steam already distribute video games. Services like this will be pretty commonplace with most broadband users in the near future, and Plusnet will be cheating users from using them properly with their current policies.
serenityvalley
Grafter

Usage policy question

I'm not sure what times are peak times, but according to my usage we've knocked up 3.96GB of peak time usage since my broadband was activated this Friday evening.

SUP peak time is 4:00PM-12:00AM and that is a lot of usage for 4 days. Don't get me wrong - left unchecked I can do that in one day, but it's pretty easy to keep those figures out of peak time. We have several machines hooked up and I personally game a lot in the evenings, but the most peak time usage we've ever done in a month is around 15GB's - and that's only because I've been leaving P2P & usenet running longer because of the damned threshold nonsense.

I know your mind is probably made up, but if you tell all the members of your household to turn their downloads on in a morning and switch them off in the afternoon (better yet - run them overnight) - then SUP isn't much of an issue.

Of course, hellacoya and it's dire case of "resetosis", is another matter. Wink
___oDiN__
Grafter

Usage policy question

sup peak is 4pm till 12am
but the p2p/ftp/usenet peak is 8am till 12 am
N/A

Usage policy question

Well I'm very close to going I've not breached their limits for peak time or overall for the month, mine ends on the 30th of the month and at the moment I'm downloading at 25kbs and for the past couple of days uploading has varied between 5 and 8kbs and I'm on the so called premier package!!
Before anyone mentions seeder/leecher ratios I've been involved in torrents long enough to know these speeds should be a lot higher like around 10 times at least for upload and 20 times for downloads.
The only changes made are the ones plusnet have put into place

Just carried out an independant speed check and got these results
Download: 1,657,032 bps
Upload: 188,480 bps
QOS: 92%
RTT: 122 ms
MaxPause: 111 ms

This would suggest that p2p are being "killed" by plusnet
Exchange is showing green - on +nets speed check
connection type 2mb premier or that's what I'm paying for and expecting
N/A

Usage policy question

There's an easy way to see if you are being throttled - start a download (or upload) before 8 am and note how the speed changes at 8 am. You will likely see ul max at about 5-6k and dl at 25-30k.

I'm a premier accout for about 6 years, and and have recommended many people to them. NO MORE though. Iv'e waited several days and still no action on this erronous capping, And limiting ftp uploads, how much can that save, it's just rubbing salt.

The customer is the enemy - give the least for the most Is this Plusnet's senior policy now ? It certainly feels like it !

Rod
N/A

Usage policy question

I came over to PN because of reliability and good CS that i had been informed of. Also I am a heavy downloader and there was no blocking of p2p,. I now regret this.

I know that heavy p2p usage affects other users, but that is not my fault!!! It is up to an ISP to sort that out thats why i pay :?: :? :?:

If you bought a car and were restricted to 5mph, coz pedestrians would be able to cross roads easier - you'd tell whoever restricted it to sling their hook!!
So why must I pay for a service that I am not being provided withHuh Evil Evil

If there is a price plan that has an unrestricted connection - then I'll pay for that, but I did sign up for one, but the service has been reduced with no price reduction.... Even AOL don't restrict p2p (but I'm never going back there again lol Cheesy )
Community Veteran

Usage policy question

I know that heavy p2p usage affects other users, but that is not my fault!!! It is up to an ISP to sort that out thats why i pay :?: :? :?:

It's that kind of attitude that has resulted in the limits being imposed by MANY ISPs not just PlusNet. So your happy for others to be restricted as long as you are not. Get real.

Then you complain when the ISP DOES take action, which as you suggest, is what you pay them for to sort out.

The days of unlimited unrestricted broadband are gone mate. You clearly don't take any responsibility for what you are doing to others and because of that, ISPs are forced to take action and make sure you do not impact the silent majority.