cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usage policy confusing for Broadband Plus users

N/A

What exactly is acceptable for a Broadband Plus user? I can't find any information under the acceptable usage policy.

As a new user, it is like joining a new club without knowing what the rules are. Could the rules be made more transparent?

Mike

[Moderators Note by csogilvie: Thread moved to Support forum]
66 REPLIES
N/A

just a quick bump.......
Will a PN staff member please link to a page CLEARLY stating acceptable usage for BB+ users and confiming what is classed as peak hours (is it 8am till midnight or 4 pm till midnight? Both of which i've seen on this forum)
Why is it i have seen several requests like this in different sections of the forum but they are never replied too......
Please reply, im happy to change my usage habbits or upgrade my account if ive made the wrong choice, but i cant make that decision until i know what the (seemingly ever changing) rules are.
N/A

hear, hear, I ain't got the foggiest either, eagerly await the response
benoh
Grafter

From http://www.plus.net/residential/broadband/broadband_plus.shtml?link=resbb_pluslink

Suitability

With Broadband Plus you get a great-value broadband experience that's perfect for web surfing and email.

Broadband Plus is not suitable for data-intensive applications such as file-sharing and large downloads. If you want to use these applications, take a look at Broadband Premier or Broadband Pay As You Go.

Network Traffic Management

Broadband Plus uses network traffic management to ensure customers get the best service possible – find out more.

Its a basic account for email/websurfing, thats it!

Ben
N/A

Thanks for that Ben, Still, nowhere does it state what the usage limits are for BB+ users and i am quite frankly pissed off with the lack of clear info on this subject.
I have been with plusnet for one month and all has been fine up until the last few days. Now my connection speed is between 66kbps and 130 kbps during the day, up untill gone midnight when it returns to normal. This is clearly not acceptable on a 2 meg connection (And even during the night i now only get a max download speed of 30KB/s)
PLEASE CAN SOMEONE JUST STATE THE MONTHLY USAGE LIMITS, its not a lot to ask is it?
I thought you had to be over the usage limits for 2 months out of 3 before you got capped?
iIthought you would get an e-mail warning you of your high usage before you got throttled?

"With Broadband Plus you get a great-value broadband experience that's perfect for web surfing and email. "

Well thats simply not true.....web surfing is like walking through glue at the moment.

Im in the process of running the BT speed tests over the next 24 hrs and will raise a ticket but as Plusnet and I both know this is nothing to do with line probs and nothing to do with contention issues.

There seems to be a lot of pissed off people gathering on these boards atm, and very few answers to questions.
benoh
Grafter

There are no limits, and no SUP. The entire package is managed all the time as its not suitable for downloading. If you need to use P2P/Usnet etc then Premier is the product you need.

Ben

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed as per the Link:rules
N/A

The entire package is managed all the time as its not suitable for downloading.

You're either uploading, downloading or idle while you're on the internet. If it's not suitable for downloading, erm...
N/A

The entire package is managed all the time as its not suitable for downloading.

You're either uploading, downloading or idle while you're on the internet. If it's not suitable for downloading, erm...
Why don't you go and start an argument in an empty room?
Eserim
Rising Star

So, o be clear, there are no Gold, Silver or other metal classes, no profiling, no limits, just a "managed" service with no clearly defined rules?

Is it just me or is that as clear as mud?

Why cannot PN just class BB+ in the same way and Premier but with lower limits on each protocol - maybe even very low limits, so the differences between the products can be clearly seen in a nice table or what-ever.

At the moment on BB+ I feel that I don't know what I can do. My http speed is now consitently good -

19-12-2005 18:13:51 1887.9
19-12-2005 08:46:41 1874.3
18-12-2005 09:39:07 1817.9
18-12-2005 09:38:28 1849.9

But like most users we do need a small FTP allowance - downlaoding the F.E.A.R patch, using the built in updater took a fair bit of time. Yes, I could have gone online and found a http site, and I know how to, but manuy don't.

So please, PN, can we have the same rules as Premier, with clearly defined (but of course lower) allowances for each protocol??

Chris
Wheel_nut
Grafter

I have asked for the same information in this thread http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37244 and have not had a meaningful answer.

What happened to the old PlusNet ethos of Open and Honest. Are we waiting for Ian Wild to bring this back with him in mid January?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

Broadband Plus is a very different account to Premier, it isn't designed to be a Premier Jnr. account which is why you don't have the same kind of traffic management as Premier only with smaller allowances.

Broadband Plus is designed to be an entry level account or an account designed for the light user with a fixed cost.

To manage the account and give the customer using it the performance on web browsing, email, VoIP, etc. (the bursty types of traffic) the heavier types of traffic like P2P and Usenet are managed and see the effects of the contention applied by our network.

The account was not designed for and has never been suitable for heavy downloading, you can still use P2P/Usenet/FTP but the speeds are rate limited and regular use of these protocols would be more appropriate on Premier (up to the SUP limits of course).
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Dave,

Why can't you answer the questions being asked?

Let me try asking some specific questions requiring simple YES or NO or DON'T KNOW answers for Broadband Plus:

Q1 Is ALL of my FTP usage throttled?

Q2 If A1 = No, Do I Have a usage threshhold below which I am not throttled?

Q3 If A2 = Yes, Is the threshhold > 2GB?

Q4 If A3 = No, is the threshhold > 1GB?

Q5 If A1 = Yes, is the Minimun throttled speed > 50KB/sec?

Thay's all for now. Simple questions related to FTP. Just answer YES, NO, or DON'T KNOW please.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

As I said before Broadband Plus is designed as an entry level or light usage account and the traffic is managed as a an entry level or light usage account. We don't publish the details of how we apply the management is applied but I'll ask a question and post a link for further reading.

The question I want to ask is how much do you want to use each month on Broadband Plus account? For reference take a look at this showing a breakdown of usage.
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Hi again Dave,

My usage has never exceeded 2GB in the 2.5 years I have been with PlusNet. I simply resent you throttling my usage on any protocol because I am one of your MOST PROFITABLE customers.

Why can't I have a threshhold of 2GB below which I get a Clean connection and if I exceed that, throttle my P2P and Usenet to < 50KB/sec, and FTP to < 100KB/sec.

Go on, you know it makes sense. Pretty Please!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

As far as I can tell the Plus model is intended for browsing and e-mail. It is not designed for ANY downloading from FTP sites etc. By inference it is not intended for gaming either.
So if you are a light user (about half the users probably use less than 1GB per month) then PAYG gives you everything with no throttling.
The only downside with PAYG which is very profitable for PlusNet is their refusal to introduce bandwidth rollover. This means that a 100MB overun lands you with a 1GB bill. If you consider that the average use on Premier is say 10GB all of which is unthrottled - this would cost the PAYG user about £29, it is clear from this that the PAYG user is subsidising everybody else